• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cancellation of AMEX application

How do I cancel my existing AMEX application. I didnt know about the referral option and had applied it directly over the website. Kindly help

People were trapping other people with nonsense cards just to earn referral bonus.

Even Axis and AmazonPay cards have better yield than AmEx. Not to mention no merchant likes AmEx.
It depends on person to person. The 18 and 24 Carat Gold Collection are good.
If someone has use of it, that's great, but you cannot say that APay has a better yield than AmEx.
For APay, what about the person who is not subscribed to Prime? He will get 3% on Amazon. What if transactions are Offline? You get 1%. So, saying this card has less yield is not right.
It's the user's task to find the best card based on his NEEDS.

And I'm not sure which Axis Card you are talking about, so I cannot comment on it.

Just mailed them, you are willing to cancel the ongoing application.

Dec 2022 , frnd had applied as self employed n ITR required 6 lac minimum, so cancelled that application by mailing them..

And applied in January with fresh one...

It depends on person to person. The 18 and 24 Carat Gold Collection are good.
If someone has use of it, that's great, but you cannot say that APay has a better yield than AmEx.
For APay, what about the person who is not subscribed to Prime? He will get 3% on Amazon. What if transactions are Offline? You get 1%. So, saying this card has less yield is not right.
It's the user's task to find the best card based on his NEEDS.

And I'm not sure which Axis Card you are talking about, so I cannot comment on it.
@itsmayank AxisACE, AmazonPayICICI kick AmEx cards left right and centre. And i did not even talk about SBI Cashback or BoB Eterna because they have an annualfee.

When it comes for rewards
  • 1 MRCC RP is worth 35paise/50rs if you do not purchase vouchers of 5 star/7star hotels which are overpriced,, and you cannot avail market rates for these hotels with these vouchers . AmEx's 70 paise/100rs is significantly less than AmazonPay's 2% without Prime or 1% when offline
  • Even with 1500 x 4 transactions per month, you get 12k points annually. But loading PayTM costs money. Using the card at random sites even for billpay costs bill payment offers.
  • MRCC has annual fees which you can waive off by spending 12k points OR pay Rs 4500 + taxes. And there is no fee waiver. What can anyone do with 24k gold collection when the only thing they get is a little more points, but you have to spend much more. So most of your 1500*12 just spends to pay your 'annual fees' leaving very little reward actually earned (n)

But that is not even the worst thing out there.
  • AmEx has horrifying acceptance. Not accepted in many major south Delhi chain stores. Any PayTM or HDFC POS machine does not accept AmEx. Infact, AmEx is not accepted even in their own building 8C, DLF CyberCity Gurgaon (their registered office). AmEx employees purchase chips/biscuits/pepsi/mints/cigarettes using their Visa/Mastercard/RuPay/Diners card. And in general majority of the small shops refuse doing business with you if you use AmEx.
  • The website and mobile app is outdated. IDFC and the likes are light years ahead. So much for a company that only does credit card as a business.
  • The annual fees of 4.5k is ridiculous for such an entry level card. There is nothing special in this card except sweet talking customer care that keeps saying 'we will help you' but does nothing special. AmazonPayICICI or Axis Ace give better reward rates
  • Even Axis Atlas is a great travel card that has reward rates that beat AmEx cards by a long shot and yet has annual fees of 3k with spend based waiver and no haggling with merchants to accept the card

So when it comes to prioritization

Travel : Axis Atlas > AmEx MRCC/Platinum Travel (i would recommend Magnus if possible)
    Non-Travel: AmazonPay ICICI / Axis Ace / SBI Cashback > AmEx MRCC/Platinum Travel
    Acceptance & Ease of Use : Any card >>>>>>AmEx
I used AmEx from 2018 to 2020 - i hated the experience with at least 1 ombudsman complaint every year since AmEx was unable to solve problems or respond to queries.

@adityarajgupta mentioned about exec correspondence manager desk - Suresh Kapoor, Pooja Singh : Name any exec on that team and they have handled my complaints and witnessed/accepted how below-average their operations are. Even Stephen Squeri would know me as i once exposed a major flaw in their offer t&c that their legal team should have caught in the first place and i had to dictate Suresh Kapoor what should be done by legal team to update it.

In the meanwhile, AmazonPay ICICI came silently as an 'entry level non-premium' card and changed the game. And now UPI. I use an Infinia, and yet AmazonPay (or even Axis Ace / Axis Flipkart) competes with it. That is why i speak highly of these LTF cards that can at times compete with Infinia.

It's a new world my friend. Whims and Glory of the past bears no value for the smart. Let's keep the dinosaurs to their fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@itsmayank AxisACE, AmazonPayICICI kick AmEx cards left right and centre. And i did not even talk about SBI Cashback or BoB Eterna because they have an annualfee.

• 1 MRCC RP is worth 35paise/50rs if you do not purchase vouchers of 5 star/7star hotels which are overpriced,, and you cannot avail market rates for these hotels with these vouchers . AmEx's 70 paise/100rs is significantly less than AmazonPay's 2% without Prime or 1% when offline
  • Even with 1500 x 4 transactions per month, you get 12k points annually. But loading PayTM costs money. Using the card at random sites even for billpay costs bill payment offers.
  • MRCC has annual fees which you can waive off by spending 12k points OR pay Rs 4500 + taxes. And there is no fee waiver. What can anyone do with 24k gold collection when the only thing they get is a little more points, but you have to spend much more. So most of your 1500*12 just spends to pay your 'annual fees' (n)

• AmEx has horrifying acceptance. Not accepted in many major south Delhi chain stores. Any PayTM or HDFC POS machine does not accept AmEx. Infact, AmEx is not accepted even in their own building 8C, DLF CyberCity Gurgaon (their registered office). AmEx employees purchase chips/biscuits/pepsi/mints/cigarettes using their Visa/Mastercard/RuPay/Diners card. And in general majority of the small shops refuse doing business with you if you use AmEx.
  • The website and mobile app is outdated. IDFC and the likes are light years ahead. So much for a company that only does credit card as a business.
  • The annual fees of 4.5k is ridiculous for such an entry level card. There is nothing special in this card except sweet talking customer care that keeps saying 'we will help you' but does nothing special. AmazonPayICICI or Axis Ace give better reward rates
  • Even Axis Atlas is a great travel card that has reward rates that beat AmEx cards by a long shot and yet has annual fees of 3k with spend based waiver.

Travel : Axis Atlas > AmEx MRCC/Platinum Travel
    Non-Travel: AmazonPay ICICI / Axis Ace / SBI Cashback > AmEx MRCC/Platinum Travel
I used AmEx from 2018 to 2020 - i hated the experience with at least 1 ombudsman complaint every year since AmEx was unable to solve problems or respond to queries.

@adityarajgupta mentioned about exec correspondence manager desk - Suresh Kapoor, Pooja Singh : Name any exec on that team and they have handled my complaints and witnessed/accepted how below-average their operations are. Even Stephen Squeri would know me as i once exposed a major flaw in their offer t&c that their legal team should have caught in the first place and i had to dictate Suresh Kapoor what should be done by legal team to update it.

In the meanwhile, AmazonPay ICICI came silently as an entry level 'non-premium' card and changed the game. And now UPI. I use an Infinia, and yet AmazonPay (or even Axis Ace / Axis Flipkart) competes with it. That is why i speak highly of these LTF cards that can at times compete with Infinia.

It's a new world my friend. Whims and Glory of the past bears no value for the smart. Let's keep the dinosaurs to their fate.
Did you really research into this before writing out?

• You might be correct about calculations and acceptance of card.
  • MRCC has annual fee and it does have waiver - Fully waived if annual spending > Rs 1.5 Lakhs 50% waived if annual spending > Rs 90K and < 1.5 Lakhs.
  • Website and App is outdated? What on earth? The best application after OneCard is Amex I have used so far. IDFC application is of 90s, or say light years backward.
  • Their customer service is still outstanding than most other cards, they don't just sweet talk and they actually solve the issue right away in most cases.
It might be because you had bad experience with Amex, but majority of us don't have bad experiences with Amex. Annual fee is waived off on just 1.5L and anyone who uses card online, card gets accepted almost everywhere online and they can easily spend 1500x4 along with extra 1000MR on 20k spends.

Then they also opt for 18k, 24k gold collection, and this is what he meant by it depends on person to person.

Did you really research into this before writing out?

• You might be correct about calculations and acceptance of card.
  • MRCC has annual fee and it does have waiver - Fully waived if annual spending > Rs 1.5 Lakhs 50% waived if annual spending > Rs 90K and < 1.5 Lakhs.
  • Website and App is outdated? What on earth? The best application after OneCard is Amex I have used so far. IDFC application is of 90s, or say light years backward.
  • Their customer service is still outstanding than most other cards, they don't just sweet talk and they actually solve the issue right away in most cases.
It might be because you had bad experience with Amex, but majority of us don't have bad experiences with Amex. Annual fee is waived off on just 1.5L and anyone who uses card online, card gets accepted almost everywhere online and they can easily spend 1500x4 along with extra 1000MR on 20k spends.

Then they also opt for 18k, 24k gold collection, and this is what he meant by it depends on person to person.
@emadiqbalali There was no spend based waiver in 2021. Looks like they made some changes to try to cover up. But the product is still 35 paisa/point and limited acceptance offline / extra charges on PayTM is still a valid point. So is still losing out on rewards and yet ironically name the product as 'Rewards' credit card.

If you have ever used IDFC and think it is of 90s, then you are extremely intoxicated my friend :ROFLMAO: Amex Website and app IS stoneage :) Users have to manually enroll themselves to offers after logging into the website. I had to build them a business case in 2020 to stop spamming me with AmEx Pay BharatQR emails since nobody uses BharatQR and that is when they realized they were burning money on doomed mailers - they are SO outdated.

They even lost any new business for over a year just because they refused to open a data center in India in spite of a lot of ops already here and RBI declaring this as a requirement in 2018 effective from 2020. That is the scale of their outdatedness. They should consider themselves lucky RBI didn't ban their operations completely.

If they can really can solve an issue, ask them to solve listed merchants refusing to accept AmEx :sneaky: Or ask them to send bill reminder alerts on SMS.
Every customer care can explain product features or look into wrong charges - it's basic. Though i have seen them failing miserably at basic tasks - like blocking a card when reporting a fraudulent use.

When you spend 20k per month, you get 1000 points for 1500*4+ 1000points for 20k + standard (20points/1k * 20) = 2400 points which roughly translates to Rs 840 for spending 20k i.e. ~4.2% at its best , which you again have to use at specific online merchant like Amazon/Flipkart or a expensive hotel. And the more you spend after this, your reward rate keeps going down. While the LTF i suggested are steady. AmEx rewards are hence slightly below these LTF cards at it's best.

If AmEx is has to be used online , why would an average salaried class person prefer that over SBI Cashback (that also gets most sale offers) or Axis ACE (that has no upper limit) or AmazonPay ICICI (which is the most agile). And what if you lose out on other card/wallet/bank offers or if you cannot spend 1.5lac.

There is no real perk for wasting your time on that flawed product designed to really benefit only the company. This is the Amway of credit cards. Even if i had to show off, i would wear Yeezy's or AirJordans than carry AmEx - atleast the shoes have resale value. But then, to each their own - it's a free world. People want to waste their time and energy to slack for a legacy organization - their life, their choices !

Last edited by a moderator:
@emadiqbalali There was no spend based waiver in 2021. Looks like they made some changes to try to cover up. But the product is still 35 paisa/point and limited acceptance offline / extra charges on PayTM is still a valid point. So is still losing out on rewards and yet ironically name the product as 'Rewards' credit card.

If you have ever used IDFC and think it is of 90s, then you are extremely intoxicated my friend :ROFLMAO: Amex Website and app IS stoneage :) Users have to manually enroll themselves to offers after logging into the website. I had to build them a business case in 2020 to stop spamming me with AmEx Pay BharatQR emails since nobody uses BharatQR and that is when they realized they were burning money on doomed mailers - they are SO outdated.

They even lost any new business for over a year just because they refused to open a data center in India in spite of a lot of ops already here and RBI declaring this as a requirement in 2018 effective from 2020. That is the scale of their outdatedness. They should consider themselves lucky RBI didn't ban their operations completely.

If they can really can solve an issue, ask them to solve listed merchants refusing to accept AmEx :sneaky: Or ask them to send bill reminder alerts on SMS.
Every customer care can explain product features or look into wrong charges - it's basic. Though i have seen them failing miserably at basic tasks - like blocking a card when reporting a fraudulent use.

When you spend 20k per month, you get 1000 points for 1500*4+ 1000points for 20k + standard (20points/1k * 20) = 2400 points which roughly translates to Rs 840 for spending 20k i.e. ~4.2% at its best , which you again have to use at specific online merchant like Amazon/Flipkart or a expensive hotel. And the more you spend after this, your reward rate keeps going down. While the LTF i suggested are steady. AmEx rewards are hence slightly below these LTF cards at it's best.

If AmEx is has to be used online , why would an average salaried class person prefer that over SBI Cashback (that also gets most sale offers) or Axis ACE (that has no upper limit) or AmazonPay ICICI (which is the most agile). And what if you lose out on other card/wallet/bank offers or if you cannot spend 1.5lac.

There is no real perk for wasting your time on that flawed product designed to really benefit only the company. This is the Amway of credit cards. Even if i had to show off, i would wear Yeezy's or AirJordans than carry AmEx - atleast the shoes have resale value. But then, to each their own - it's a free world. People want to waste their time and energy to slack for a legacy organization - their life, their choices !
That some burn for amex right there, its rare but that must have hurt amex if they read this :ROFLMAO:

• MRCC has annual fees which you can waive off by spending 12k points OR pay Rs 4500 + taxes. And there is no fee waiver. What can anyone do with 24k gold collection when the only thing they get is a little more points, but you have to spend much more. So most of your 1500*12 just spends to pay your 'annual fees' leaving very little reward actually earned (n)

• Even Axis Atlas is a great travel card that has reward rates that beat AmEx cards by a long shot and yet has annual fees of 3k with spend based waiver and no haggling with merchants to accept the card

Travel : Axis Atlas > AmEx MRCC/Platinum Travel (i would recommend Magnus if possible)

In the meanwhile, AmazonPay ICICI came silently as an 'entry level non-premium' card and changed the game. And now UPI. I use an Infinia, and yet AmazonPay (or even Axis Ace / Axis Flipkart) competes with it. That is why i speak highly of these LTF cards that can at times compete with Infinia.

With just 6 months and from tier 2 city i have 27000 MR points..All are genuine spend- and average cashback of 3-4% :) i believe it quite good for ,cashback card

With just 6 months and from tier 2 city i have 27000 MR points..All are genuine spend- and average cashback of 3-4% :) i believe it quite good for ,cashback card
So deducting annual fees waiver points unless you used referrals, it is merely peanuts in hand. Even then, at par with amazonpay icici or axis ace or axis gpay

Amex is the McKinsey of Credit Card industry. No matter how much one may ridicule or hate them, they are here to stay and not to mention stand out from the crowd.
Oh by stand out you mean rejected by most merchants unless they have a high margin on their products?

Or users willing to pay thousands for something that they can get LTF because some random person told them ?

Or simply because sham-X customer care speaks good english ?

For a illogical company whose cards get completely boycotted by paytm pos machine even though paytm wallet is the area where most retail customers use the card, it is a scam to give 35paise per point when they earn 3.5%.

To top, shamX get banned from getting new customers for 3 years im 2020 for not complying with an regulatory order issued in 2018. The company is so full of ignorant people that they completely slept over legal requirements in operating in a country. So much for Mckinsey, even a McAloo is a benchmark for them.

As long as gullible people that don't use logics are willing to be fooled by sales agents and referral bonus benefitiaries, companies like shamX will survive.

yes if we are on to cashback
So now you will get my point when i find ShamX useless. Less points, more annual fees, and nothing special really - apart from 'spend 1 lac for peanut hotel voucher for which you need to spend more' offers.

I use infinia, it gives better rewards, and i do not pay a single paisa as annual fees because of my spends. And that is when i see AmEx exploiting people for its substandard products showing arrogance as feature and greed as marketing tactic. So much for a company of a fraction size of hdfc

Oh by stand out you mean rejected by most merchants unless they have a high margin on their products?

Or users willing to pay thousands for something that they can get LTF because some random person told them ?

Or simply because sham-X customer care speaks good english ?

For a illogical company whose cards get completely boycotted by paytm pos machine even though paytm wallet is the area where most retail customers use the card, it is a scam to give 35paise per point when they earn 3.5%.

To top, shamX get banned from getting new customers for 3 years im 2020 for not complying with an regulatory order issued in 2018. The company is so full of ignorant people that they completely slept over legal requirements in operating in a country. So much for Mckinsey, even a McAloo is a benchmark for them.

As long as gullible people that don't use logics are willing to be fooled by sales agents and referral bonus benefitiaries, companies like shamX will survive.
If one has a clear use case in mind, one can even milk a bull. Milked a near to 12.5% return on my Amex card. Too bad for Sham-X. Isn't it? Cheers! 🍻

Back