• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

its_karan

TF Ace
Got it, I thought you were talking about complete crossed cheque used for Account number proof
This community has taught me a good amount of things, especially how to do things better. Can't be thankful enough
Ek aur lelo fir: Cancelled Cheque pe sign karne ki zarurat nahi hoti

This thread made me realise why I should carry a reliable pen with me
045 Sadabahar

varun__goel_

TF Legend
BTW who ever is reading and interested

I heard once from SBI BM that they have some kind of facility where cheque will only be cleared after a confirmation call with customer care. It has to be enabled by branch. Don't know if there's any min amount of cheque which is eligible for this. But if interested, you can go ahead.

And try with other banks too

Last edited:

telescope

TF Ace
Bhai ye bearer cheque kya he. Nob here
Matlab corner mei a/c payee only, ya fir diagonally two lines nahi hai.

Agar wo hota toh usko kehta hai crossed cheque, matlab jis bande ka nam likha hai us account mei payment hoga. Counter mei cash withdraw nahi kar payega.

Agar top corner mei kuch nahi likha hai matlab koi bhi counter jakar cash le sakte hai. This is also called bearer cheque. In hindi it's called "dharak" which is written on the right side of cheque in devanagari script.

telescope

TF Ace
Some tips for writing a cheque safely:

1. Always cross a cheque with words "a/c payee only". Never give anyone you don't trust a bearer cheque. Cut out "or bearer/ya dharak ko" at the end of name row.

2. To make it even more secure, write payee name as "name surname - abc bank". In this way cheque can only be cleared with that name of account at that bank only. Suppose I am giving a cheque to Mr. Periscope, I'll ask him which bank he intends to clear it and account number. If he doesn't have account number handy, then I'll write "Periscope surname - abc bank limited". This cheque now can ONLY be cleared to account of periscope of ONLY abc bank and no other bank of periscope.

3. If Mr periscope remembers account number then I'll write the cheque as "periscope surname - abc bank account no. 1234567890". This is the most secure way of cheque payment.

Point to be noted that no bank clears cheque which has a date earlier than account opening date. So if Mr. Periscope lies to me about abc bank and then goes to abc bank to open an account for clearing cheque, then it won't happen.

MOST IMPORTANT - Write with your own pen. Never borrow pen or allow others to write it.

If possible use cheque writing software and print cheques.

Last edited:
The a/c holder, in his own handwriting, must write a detailed complaint to the Police n get it acknowledged on each paper.

With that acknowledged police complaint, let him write, in his own handwriting, lodge another detailed complaint with the bank branch. Obtain the BM's acknowledgement with date, time n stamp.

Save the SMS recieved from the Bank intimating the debit. Take printout.

Approach a reputed advocate n send a Lawyer's Notice to the branch/their controllers - Regional Manager, Area Manager - specifically asking for outside verification thru handwriting experts.

This step will force the branch/ RegionalManager/ AreaManager/ ZonalManager to lodge police complaint from the Bank's side - which will have a higher weightage n help the account holder get his money back.

He can also approach local consumer court - their efficacy depends on town-to-town n is not uniform. But, such consumer courts can force the bank/police to act relatively fast.

As the OP says that the fraudster had all details of Met Life policy, who knows their own employee might have colluded with that fraudster? Involve Met Life too.

Last edited:

sidp

TF Ace
Possible toh hai, jisne encash karwaya uski photo aayi hogi CCTV mei. But mushkil hai, legal proceedings hongi and probably bank ko fine bhi ho sakta hai to encash a cheque which looks tampered.
No need of legal proceeding. Rbi will handle this. Even in photo it is clearly visible. Wonder how it will look in real life, plus they are supposed to check under hard incandescent light or uv light. The washed out letters would look like bold letter.

@Batman they must move fast & demand the cheque not to be scapped. Either with the help of police or pno.

#aniket

TF Ace
BTW who ever is reading and interested

I heard once from SBI BM that they have some kind of facility where cheque will only be cleared after a confirmation call with customer care. It has to be enabled by branch. Don't know if there's any min amount of cheque which is eligible for this. But if interested, you can go ahead.

And try with other banks too
I think bank only take confirmation through phone call for the clearance of high value cheque only, especially when there's no Positive Pay request from account holder side.

@varun__goel_ What sorts of facilities you're talking about? Kindly explain it more.

Ex banker of SBI, @RAMESH BABU N, such facility (Varun bro is referring) is available in SBI and is it applicable to each and every cheque? Process to get it enabled?

#aniket

TF Ace
Screenshot_20240520-101503.jpg
Matlab corner mei a/c payee only, ya fir diagonally two lines nahi hai.
@ritwik2000 Bearer cheque matalab wo nahi hota ki if A/c payee na ho toh wo bearer rahegaa...bearer bhi apna account mein trf kara sakta hai us case mein, just 2 diagonally parallel lines se

Simply, payee blank ho ya payee ka name bhi hai aur sath mein or bearer ya last endorsement blank ho...usko kehte hain

Few examples: yaha bearer ko kaat de toh firh payee mein jiksa name likha rahega bas wahi encash kara sakta hai... 1716180483909.jpg

Ya order cheque iss tarah, or order likha rahega, ye cheque jiska name rahega wo encash kara sakta hai, ya uske order anusar:
1716180795443.jpg

dealminer

TF Premier

@ritwik2000 Bearer cheque matalab wo nahi hota ki if A/c payee na ho toh wo bearer rahegaa...bearer bhi apna account mein trf kara sakta hai us case mein, just 2 diagonally parallel lines se

Simply, payee blank ho ya payee ka name bhi hai aur sath mein or bearer ya last endorsement blank ho...usko kehte hain

Few examples: yaha bearer ko kaat de toh firh payee mein jiksa name likha rahega bas wahi encash kara sakta hai... 1716180483909.jpg

Ya order cheque iss tarah, or order likha rahega, ye cheque jiska name rahega wo encash kara sakta hai, ya uske order anusar:
1716180795443.jpg
Aniket Bhai following you right now, just for all the hard work you do here which is not admired by the people here in the forum. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Noob log apko dannt kr chup krwa dete accha nhi lgta. :LOL:

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Pioneer

1716180795443.jpg
Endorsement kya hota hai ? Bearer cheque se kya lena dena ?🤔 Next Question of Ritwik

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I wanted to quote the comments here and reply to them, but there are too many. I am tagging all the people who asked questions or gave advice. Please read the below update and share your views.
  1. Neighbor filled the cheque himself. It was a CROSS cheque. Cross was erased. @varun__goel_ @telescope
  2. Neighbor had also signed on back of cheque and written policy number etc. All of that was erased, only signature remained visible.
  3. MetLife employee details - Neighbor did not verify employee ID. Even if he did, it wouldn't have been difficult to have a fake ID. @Vasuki
  4. Neighbor doesn't remember the pen he used. It could have been scammer's pen.
  5. Written complaint done to bank, received their reply as well. I'm attaching it below. @sidp
  6. CCTV footage available of the scammer. What to do with it? @Vishal4u2
  7. The cheque was indeed encashed without taking ID of scammer. How do I proceed here? @newinnov
  8. I have asked neighbor to tell the bank that cheque must not be destroyed or taken away. Any simple way to do it online? @sidp
Why Bank may be at fault -
  1. Bank didn't ID or KYC the scammer, even though cheque was > Rs 50,000. I found this article that states this guideline. Could someone please help me find RBI guideline for the same? @newinnov @varun__goel_ @#aniket
  2. Cheque appears overwritten, but how do I enforce that to the bank? Can RBI do that? @its_karan @VISHESH_BANSAL @ritwik2000
Attached Document: Reply from bank -
  1. Please read the doc carefully. Half of it is in Hindi. The bank claims no responsibility. Bank says that the cheque did not appear forged or overwritten.
  2. It seems like bank hasn't mentioned the clause for ID verification for cheque > Rs 50,000.
FIR -
  1. Is there a way to file FIR for this online? I have taken the proof from neighbor, can file it on his behalf. Please share what you know. @dealminer
  2. The charges stated (thanks to @Tejo ) are File 420: cheating and 467: forgery. Is there anything else that applies?
Legal route -
  1. Legal route can be taken, but I'm thinking of doing that after RBI complaint. Or would people here recommend getting in touch with Lawyer ASAP? If yes, please suggest a lawyer also. @newinnov @shivamk
Possible insurance coverage -
  1. Do we know of any banking instrument that provides insurance for such matters. I know neighbor doesn't have a Credit card.
----
In my next comment, I will comment on advice from Ramesh Babu sir.

Attachments

• Frame 2.png
    Frame 2.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Frame 1.png
    Frame 1.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 33

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
In this comment, I am addressing suggestions from sir @RAMESH BABU N . TF people, please feel free to comment. I need all the help I can get to help this neighbor.

1. Complaint to police done in own handwriting. Police did not give a confirmation in document, but SMS confirmation with complaint ID was received. This is on 23 April.
The a/c holder, in his own handwriting, must write a detailed complaint to the Police n get it acknowledged on each paper.

2. Complaint with branch is done. Written reply attached.
With that acknowledged police complaint, let him write, in his own handwriting, lodge another detailed complaint with the bank branch. Obtain the BM's acknowledgement with date, time n stamp.

3. NO SMS was received when debit was done, claimed by Neighbor. How can this be verified?
Save the SMS recieved from the Bank intimating the debit. Take printout.

4. Please suggest Sir on how to proceed with this. Neither I nor the neighbor has filed lawsuits. Also, what could be the estimated costs?
Approach a reputed advocate n send a Lawyer's Notice to the branch/their controllers - Regional Manager, Area Manager - specifically asking for outside verification thru handwriting experts. This step will force the branch/ Regional Manager/ AreaManager/ ZonalManager to lodge police complaint from the Bank's side - which will have a higher weightage n help the account holder get his money back.

5. Once again, how to proceed with this? I do have a friend in local sessions court. Should we contact local Ward parshad (he is helpful). I also have friends in local Municipality office.
He can also approach local consumer court - their efficacy depends on town-to-town n is not uniform. But, such consumer courts can force the bank/police to act relatively fast.

6. How to proceed with complaint to Met Life? Should it be done from my end or enforced by Police/Court?
As the OP says that the fraudster had all details of Met Life policy, who knows their own employee might have colluded with that fraudster? Involve Met Life too

Attachments

• Frame 1.png
    Frame 1.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 8

dealminer

TF Premier
I wanted to quote the comments here and reply to them, but there are too many. I am tagging all the people who asked questions or gave advice. Please read the below update and share your views.
  1. Neighbor filled the cheque himself. It was a CROSS cheque. Cross was erased. @varun__goel_ @telescope
  2. Neighbor had also signed on back of cheque and written policy number etc. All of that was erased, only signature remained visible.
  3. MetLife employee details - Neighbor did not verify employee ID. Even if he did, it wouldn't have been difficult to have a fake ID. @Vasuki
  4. Neighbor doesn't remember the pen he used. It could have been scammer's pen.
  5. Written complaint done to bank, received their reply as well. I'm attaching it below. @sidp
  6. CCTV footage available of the scammer. What to do with it? @Vishal4u2
  7. The cheque was indeed encashed without taking ID of scammer. How do I proceed here? @newinnov
Why Bank may be at fault -
  1. Bank didn't ID or KYC the scammer, even though cheque was > Rs 50,000. I found this article that states this guideline. Could someone please help me find RBI guideline for the same? @newinnov @varun__goel_ @#aniket
  2. Cheque appears overwritten, but how do I enforce that to the bank? Can RBI do that? @its_karan @VISHESH_BANSAL @ritwik2000
Attached Document: Reply from bank -
  1. Please read the doc carefully. Half of it is in Hindi. The bank claims no responsibility. Bank says that the cheque did not appear forged or overwritten.
  2. It seems like bank hasn't mentioned the clause for ID verification for cheque > Rs 50,000.
FIR -
  1. Is there a way to file FIR for this online? I have taken the proof from neighbor, can file it on his behalf. Please share what you know. @dealminer
  2. The charges stated (thanks to @Tejo ) are File 420: cheating and 467: forgery. Is there anything else that applies?
Legal route -
  1. Legal route can be taken, but I'm thinking of doing that after RBI complaint. Or would people here recommend getting in touch with Lawyer ASAP? If yes, please suggest a lawyer also. @newinnov @shivamk
Possible insurance coverage -
  1. Do we know of any banking instrument that provides insurance for such matters. I know neighbor doesn't have a Credit card.
----
In my next comment, I will comment on advice from Ramesh Babu sir.
Look that passbook,
How does the person knows the a/c balance and he exactly wrote a cheque less than the balance amount.

Some internal banking fraud shit is going on within that pnb branch.

Report this case to RBI for sure. Fraud branch

@Batman which state is this?