• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Limit Increase Rejected - Bizarre Reasons

I opened a salary account with HDFC 6 months ago in April, purely because I wanted to get a LTF card from them. I earn 1.4L in hand and went ahead with the card application. The mistake I did was I didn't go ahead for the application in branch since they asked me to wait for 3 months before application. Somebody from HDFC called and I completed the application with their help. No income documents were asked and I got a Millennia Diners card LTF issued in April 2023.

The problem was it had a very low credit limit of 59k. I wanted this card primarily for sale offers and didn't spend much apart from 1-2k every month. I raised a credit enhancement request both via escalation email and form in branch along with payslips in July 2023. They replied with a huge email with jargon words that me being a "valued customer" and all. Basically, rejected the request because of bank policy.

So, I waited another 3 months and applied for the limit increase two weeks back with the branch again. It's been rejected again without any solid reason and when I dived deep with a credit card agent in HDFC, they offered me two solutions:

1. Use my card upto 70% limit every month for next 6 months and I MIGHT get a limit enhancement offer. This was not a ironclad promise as well.
  2. Close the current card. Wait for 3 months. Then apply again in branch for a new credit card along with payslips. They promise that going this way I'll get a increased credit limit. But I'm not sure if I'll get the Millennia card LTF if I take this route. I don't want to settle for Regalia or Diners Privilege card.

Why the heck can't HDFC offer the limit enhancement now based on payslips, if they promise they'll do the same for a new card? And Is there any better way to go about asking for a limit increase?

I was thinking of attaching my payslips to pno one final time with an empty threat that I'll close the card if they don't budge. Any better ideas?

Last edited:
I opened a salary account with HDFC 6 months ago in April, purely because I wanted to get a LTF card from them. I earn 1.4L in hand and went ahead with the card application. The mistake I did was I didn't go ahead for the application in branch since they asked me to wait for 3 months before application. Somebody from HDFC called and I completed the application with their help. No income documents were asked and I got a Millennia Diners card LTF issued in April 2023.

The problem was it had a very low credit limit of 59k. I wanted this card primarily for sale offers and didn't spend much apart from 1-2k every month. I raised a credit enhancement request both via escalation email and form in branch along with payslips in July 2023. They replied with a huge email with jargon words that me being a "valued customer" and all. Basically, rejected the request because of bank policy.

So, I waited another 3 months and applied for the limit increase two weeks back with the branch again. It's been rejected again without any solid reason and when I dived deep with a credit card agent in HDFC, they offered me two solutions:

1. Use my card upto 70% limit every month for next months and I MIGHT get a limit enhancement offer. This was not a ironclad promise as well.
  2. Close the current card. Wait for 3 months. Then apply again in branch for a new credit card along with payslips. They promise that going this way I'll get a increased credit limit. But I'm not sure if I'll get the Millennia card LTF if I take this route. I don't want to settle for Regalia or Diners Privilege card.

Why the heck can't HDFC offer the limit enhancement now based on payslips, if they promise they'll do the same for a new card? And Is there any better way to go about asking for a limit increase?

I was thinking of attaching my payslips to pno one final time with an empty threat that I'll close the card if they don't budge. Any better ideas?
Close the card and sit and wait .. for offers and if u are impatient ..apply for cc via agent in branch after 45 day of card close .

Meanwhile u can apply for other card via agent sbi , axis ..since u can verify income details via bank account incase of verification required. 60k is nothing limit .. without income ppl get These kinda pre approved offer 😀

Close the card and sit and wait .. for offers and if u are impatient ..apply for cc via agent in branch after 45 day of card close .

Meanwhile u can apply for other card via agent sbi , axis ..since u can verify income details via bank account incase of verification required. 60k is nothing limit .. without income ppl get These kinda pre approved offer 😀
I already have cards with Axis, ICICI, IDFC and SBI with a max credit limit of 8L in ICICI. They're not even open to considering limit increase based on C2C, Payslips or ITR. Are they generally like this?

I already have cards with Axis, ICICI, IDFC and SBI with a max credit limit of 8L in ICICI. They're not even open to considering limit increase based on C2C, Payslips or ITR. Are they generally like this?
Then close the card and wait u will get c2c card from hdfc .. even with payslip ..
Your Highest cc limit will be similar to hdfc card

1. Use my card upto 70% limit every month for next months and I MIGHT get a limit enhancement offer. This was not a ironclad promise as well.

Mail them asking for limit increase.. they will ask you sent itr or some cc statement.

Le offer in hdfc is super rare..

Then close the card and wait u will get c2c card from hdfc .. even with payslip ..
Your Highest cc limit will be similar to hdfc card
Afraid that I'll have to go down this path. I'm just skeptical if they'll issue me an LTF Millennia card after 3 months. Most of my colleagues are offered either Regalia or Diners Privilege from what I've seen and I don't have any use for either of them

1. Use my card upto 70% limit every month for next 6 months and I MIGHT get a limit enhancement offer. This was not a ironclad promise as well.

Did you mail them ( PriorityRedressal.CreditCards@hdfcbank.com ) ?

Have you sent mail to grievance.redressalcc@hdfcbank.com? Your mail should compare your limits with other bank credit cards. And you must show you're not satisfied with the service

Afraid that I'll have to go down this path. I'm just skeptical if they'll issue me an LTF Millennia card after 3 months. Most of my colleagues are offered either Regalia or Diners Privilege from what I've seen and I don't have any use for either of them
Try limit increase then . Write to pno & mail your documents to chennai office .
Might help .
Give your 2 cc .. latest statement .
& salary slip .
Ask for upgrade & limit enhancement .
If it doesn't work .
U then have to decide higher variant + more limit or ltf Millniea

I am in the same boat. Opened HDFC savings account about 18 months ago and applied for Millenia via C2C using ICICI card with 8 lakh limit via branch. They suggested opening an account first and then C2C route even though I have a decent ITR. Application was rejected. They suggested changing the account to Imperia. Kept about 50 lakhs in FDs for 6 months and then applied again online. Offered Diners club as conditional approval but again rejected. Had been doing a lot of high value transactions using HDFC account and paid bills worth lakhs for other cards via their Billpay. A few months later they themselves sent a Moneyback card with 62k limit. Used it for 6 months and applied for limit increase and upgrade. Promised a Regalia by branch but again both requests denied by HDFC. Took it up to PNO but no use. Really frustrated but have given up now.
Have thought of getting Infinia via FD but told that I have to close current card and wait 3 months. I am afraid they would reject secured Infinia on some silly ground. Good CIBIL at around 800 as well. Just can't understand HDFC.

Update: received Infinia via ULIP in Dec 2023.

Last edited:
Back