• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank refusing reward points on Credit Card

bhaskar_js

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hello,

This is my first post in this community although I regularly use this forum for banking information. Recently I am facing an issue with HDFC regarding credit card reward points. I made a purchase of home construction product (Tata Steel TMT rebars) using Tata Steel Aashiyana website (aashiyana[dot]tatasteel[dot]com) on 15.02.2023 for an amount of Rs 2,25,264 using my Regalia card. Later that month my card was upgraded to Diners Black.

On 01.03.2023, I had to make an another purchase in the same website and since Tata Steel Aashiyana website did not accept Diners card, I used my ICICI Rubyx card this time for an amount of Rs 1,00327.

Next month, in March 2023, I received both my credit card statements form HDFC and ICICI and I realized that HDFC did not award any reward points for my transaction dated 15.02.2023 while ICICI did for my transaction dated 01.03.2023 for the same website and same product.

I raised my concern with HDFC by sending mails first to customerservices[dot]cards[at]hdfcbank.com and grievance[dot]redressalcc[at]hdfcbank.com. Later I also sent mails to PriorityRedressal[dot]CreditCards[at]hdfcbank.com and pnohdfcbank[at]hdfcbank.com after my grievances were not resolved. HDFC is refusing reward points by saying that this transaction falls under Government transaction and reward points will not be credited after January 2023. I shared the order confirmation mail from Tata Steel for the transaction, my ICICI credit card statement showing reward points credit proving that this is a retail transaction and not a Government payment but still HDFC replying in each mail plainly that this is a Government transaction.

In my last mails, I even asked HDFC to provide me the MCC code registered at their end for this transaction. HDFC is not providing me the MCC code and simply replying that this is a Government transaction. What to do now. Shall I submit my grievance to Banking Ombudsman or is there any other approach that I can take. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello,

This is my first post in this community although I regularly use this forum for banking information. Recently I am facing an issue with HDFC regarding credit card reward points. I made a purchase of home construction product (Tata Steel TMT rebars) using Tata Steel Aashiyana website (aashiyana[dot]tatasteel[dot]com) on 15.02.2023 for an amount of Rs 2,25,264 using my Regalia card. Later that month my card was upgraded to Diners Black.

On 01.03.2023, I had to make an another purchase in the same website and since Tata Steel Aashiyana website did not accept Diners card, I used my ICICI Rubyx card this time for an amount of Rs 1,00327.

Next month, in March 2023, I received both my credit card statements form HDFC and ICICI and I realized that HDFC did not award any reward points for my transaction dated 15.02.2023 while ICICI did for my transaction dated 01.03.2023 for the same website and same product.

I raised my concern with HDFC by sending mails first to customerservices[dot]cards[at]hdfcbank.com and grievance[dot]redressalcc[at]hdfcbank.com. Later I also sent mails to PriorityRedressal[dot]CreditCards[at]hdfcbank.com and pnohdfcbank[at]hdfcbank.com after my grievances were not resolved. HDFC is refusing reward points by saying that this transaction falls under Government transaction and reward points will not be credited after January 2023. I shared the order confirmation mail from Tata Steel for the transaction, my ICICI credit card statement showing reward points credit proving that this is a retail transaction and not a Government payment but still HDFC replying in each mail plainly that this is a Government transaction.

In my last mails, I even asked HDFC to provide me the MCC code registered at their end for this transaction. HDFC is not providing me the MCC code and simply replying that this is a Government transaction. What to do now. Shall I submit my grievance to Banking Ombudsman or is there any other approach that I can take. Thanks in advance.
Check the mcc if it’s govt then we can’t get points

Exactly; that is what I am asking HDFC why they have not rewarded the points. If it were a small amount, I would not have pursued it but since the amount is a bit high, I am trying to fight it. I am loosing 6000 points on this transaction alone.
see try calling ICICI cs and ask for MCC code, even though it easy if one bank did reward me, why hdfc seem to have issued with it, you would need MCC code to fight with hdfc

Exactly; that is what I am asking HDFC why they have not rewarded the points. If it were a small amount, I would not have pursued it but since the amount is a bit high, I am trying to fight it. I am loosing 6000 points on this transaction alone.
MCC plays an Important role now.
Almost every Rewarding Card restricted the benifts on the basis of MCC only.

Call HDFC Customer Care and tell them Txn Amount and Date.
Over the Call , executive will provide you MCC in few minutes.

Thank you @vaibhav111 @VISHESH_BANSAL for your replies. I called up both HDFC and ICICI customer care helplines. The MCC registered for both the transaction at both the banks is same which is 9399 - Government Services ( Not Elsewhere Classified). When asking how can Tata Steel be classified under this MCC, I was told that the payment gateway service being used by the Tata Steel Aashiyana Website is registering itself under this MCC and Bank has no control over it.

Now the question is, if the same MCC is registered at both HDFC and ICICI, how come one is awarding reward points while the other one is not. Can I do anything else after this. Will there be any use to raise this to ombudsman now.

Hello. Is there any way I can check the MCC for a settled transaction myself. I have asked HDFC to share the MCC but they are not sharing it. But since ICICI paid the reward points for the same website and product, can it be really a MCC related issue.
Then call hdfc again
Different callers will give mcc they won’t deny
Don’t raise any concern then they won’t disclose mcc
Once u get mcc over mail from them then go to rbi ombudsman

Thank you @vaibhav111 @VISHESH_BANSAL for your replies. I called up both HDFC and ICICI customer care helplines. The MCC registered for both the transaction at both the banks is same which is 9399 - Government Services ( Not Elsewhere Classified). When asking how can Tata Steel be classified under this MCC, I was told that the payment gateway service being used by the Tata Steel Aashiyana Website is registering itself under this MCC and Bank has no control over it.

Now the question is, if the same MCC is registered at both HDFC and ICICI, how come one is awarding reward points while the other one is not. Can I do anything else after this. Will there be any use to raise this to ombudsman now.
after march 2023 i believe, hdfc for all their cc, they have stopped given reward on Payment of tax and government transaction. now come up this website/merchant comes into that a mystery to me as well.

HDFC already excluded Govt Services

Only ICICI has no such Exclusions as of now.

This case is in Bank's Favour since MCC is 9399 and Description of this MCC is also Govt. Services(Not Elsewhere Classified)

So let it go.

Also Each Bank club MCC of Similar nature sometimes under different categories as per their wish

HDFC is one of them.

I also lost 250 Cashback due to MCC issue even when MCC in my case is correct and eligible as per MCC description but HDFC Clubbed that MCC under a different head

Last edited:
HDFC already excluded Govt Services

Only ICICI has no such Exclusions as of now.

This case is in Bank's Favour since MCC is 9399.

So let it go.

Also Each Bank classify MCC of Similar nature sometimes under different categories as per their wish.

HDFC is one of them.
I also lost 250 Cashback due to MCC issue even when MCC in my case is correct and eligible as per MCC description.
Thanks for your reply. I never thought a Tata Website will be categorized under Govt MCC for its payment Gateway. Is there any way to check the MCC before/while making a transaction. Will be helpful for high value transactions.

Thanks for your reply. I never thought a Tata Website will be categorized under Govt MCC for its payment Gateway. Is there any way to check the MCC before/while making a transaction. Will be helpful for high value transactions.
As of now, only way is you have to call/E-Mail Customer Care of the respective Bank to know MCC.

If Bank starts showing MCC While Making a txn then Customer will shift it to another Card.

Like you would definitely shift that txn if you Know MCC in advance .

Then why Banks will disclose such information when Customer is making a txn

It can happen if one bank can give reward points on government transactions and the other doesn't..

Hello,

I am also going to perform some transactions on this site. Can you tell me what was thier merchant name while making payment?

Back