• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How many bank accounts do you have and for what purposes?

raghavx

TF Select
I hold following bank accounts

1. ICICI Bank (Savings) - For salary crediting and investments
  2. IDFC First Bank (Savings) - for savings purposes, it gives good rate of interest.
  3. DBS - Idk why I am still holding this.
  4. Paytm Payments Bank - Had opened it long back, not sure why I am holding this too.
  5. Fi.money - For day to day transactions as my primary savings account would get cluttered with few hundred rupees transactions.
  6. Jupiter - Had opened alongside with Fi, thinking to close this.

I have way too many bank accounts. Here are the ones in India:

1. HDFC Imperia: opened to try and get a CC with them. Not very successful despite high amount of transactions. Now used for general transactions.
2. ICICI : not sure about variant. Opened to obtain CC. Have 3 now. Not used much. Relatively poor service.
3. Union Bank of India : was my main account earlier but hardly used now. Decent service.
4. IDFC Wealth : opened for earlier 7% savings interest rate. Used occasionally. Wealth debit card is useful for domestic and international lounges. Decent service.
5. Equitas Elite: used to park liquid money at 7% interest. Good FD rates as well at 8.5%. Discount on lockers as well. Good service.
6. Fincare: used to park liquid money at 7% and good FD rates at 8.5%. Ok service.
7. Utkatsh: same as above. Ok service.
8. Standard Chartered Priority: opened recently to try and get CC. Good service. Directly received by branch manager despite first visit in a large branch. Coffee served in a private lounge and again in manager’s office.
9 RBL Insignia : opened for FD diversification. Very good service with special lounge for Insignia.
10. SBM Wealth: for FD rates earlier. They offered special private rates not available to public. Fairly good service with lounge.
11. Indusind Exclusive: opened for FD diversification. Relatively poor service.
12. Yes Bank : used earlier for good savings and FD rates. Poor service.
13. AU Ivy: opened to try and get a CC. Fairly good service.

My main requirements are good FD and savings rate along with good personal service. I should not have to stand in line for anything. There should be a dedicated lounge or another area available to sit and coffee or tea should be offered on each visit. I should be received by the branch manager or someone senior. Apart from HDFC and ICICI, all other banks meet these requirements. Before people get concerned about too much allocation to FDs, I will clarify that FDs are only a part of my portfolio and there are other sectors like stocks, bonds, real estate, gold and so on.

1. SBI Regular Savings Account - Had opened as a joint account when I was a minor. Later converted to single-holder-account. (Primary Account)

2. ICICI Mine Savings Account - 0 AMB account. I use it for keeping track of CC expenses. I transfer money from the SBI account to this account as and when I use a CC.

3. Indian Bank Regular Savings Account - Dormat. Had opened when I was pursuing Masters. Now I am in an another state and closing/transfering that account without visiting the branch is almost impossible. Good thing is the AMB is just 1K.

Private Banks:
HDFC Preferred: Salary Account
ICICI Wealth and Privilege: I asked for an upgrade from Privilege to Wealth but the branch guy didn't know the process (as he told me, I think he would get incentives for a new account). Use it to park funds, free daily CIBIL, and very long-term investments. Got a great RM.
IndusInd Exclusive: Parked Liquid Funds and made some FDs. Have no-fuss add-on family accounts. Branch guys are useless but phone support is good.
SBM Private Wealth: My brother wanted me to try this while I was in Kolkata. Non-Existent support, don't even try, I mean not even their PNO. Free Debit card though. Will close this next time I am near a branch.
Yes Prosperity Prime: Keeping it cuz Zero balance. Somehow the best support I have received in my life, maybe it's just my home branch but damn they help me like I am family. (Is there any way to upgrade it to premia or Yes First as I already have a Yes First Exclusive Card)
IDFC Wealth Select: RM is a nice lady, helped my brother with some stuff and asked me to open a Wealth Select account with a 5L IP cheque; couldn't say no. IDFC is very tightly/centrally controlled though. Can't close cuz I find confrontations very difficult.

PSU Banks:
SBI Regular Account: The First Account, was opened a decade ago, needed it for the scholarship, and stood in line for 5 hours to open it. Won't close because of nostalgia.
BoB B3 Silver: UPI account. Kotak 811 is not available on Permanent/Aadhaar address.
PNB Unnati/Regular Savings Account: The Branch Manager is a family friend. Again not good at confrontations. 500 MAB cuz Rural Area.

SFB (Interest rates):
Rule of thumb, never cross more than 4.5L
Fincare Priority Savings Account: Best interest for sub 5L balance. Has given me more than 50k in interest till now. 101 is the best account, I opened it offline and got stuck with Priority.
AU Value Savings Account: 5k MAB, will close the debit card. Digital account was not available for my PIN code, this was next best.
Ujjivan Classic Savings Account: 5k MAB.

If anyone has any idea about the Yes bank account upgrade do let me know.

Edit: Even a non-confrontational guy like me has avoided axis like plague. The most dispicable employees I have ever met. Dante's Inferno talks about moneylenders being sent to 7th circle of hell, he was talking about Axis bank employees.

Last edited:
It's time for bank's to partner with Starbucks
Coffee isn't important or essential. As long as they invite me to sit in a lounge or similar office or at least the branch manager's office and then have my work done, I am satisfied. They themselves insist on coffee and I politely refuse a few times. If they keep asking, then I accept if I like the coffee there. Like the AU branch has super tasty coffee and the manager always insists on serving it amd chats for around 20 to 30 minutes. So no complaints. She is super hot as well!

Coffee isn't important or essential. As long as they invite me to sit in a lounge or similar office or at least the branch manager's office and then have my work done, I am satisfied. They themselves insist on coffee and I politely refuse a few times. If they keep asking, then I accept if I like the coffee there. Like the AU branch has super tasty coffee and the manager always insists on serving it amd chats for around 20 to 30 minutes. So no complaints. She is super hot as well!
pls share branch details. ill try to open acc there only

Private Banks:
HDFC Preferred: Salary Account
ICICI Wealth and Privilege: I asked for an upgrade from Privilege to Wealth but the branch guy didn't know the process (as he told me, I think he would get incentives for a new account). Use it to park funds, free daily CIBIL, and very long-term investments. Got a great RM.
IndusInd Exclusive: Parked Liquid Funds and made some FDs. Have no-fuss add-on family accounts. Branch guys are useless but phone support is good.
SBM Private Wealth: My brother wanted me to try this while I was in Kolkata. Non-Existent support, don't even try, I mean not even their PNO. Free Debit card though. Will close this next time I am near a branch.
Yes Prosperity Prime: Keeping it cuz Zero balance. Somehow the best support I have received in my life, maybe it's just my home branch but damn they help me like I am family. (Is there any way to upgrade it to premia or Yes First as I already have a Yes First Exclusive Card)
IDFC Wealth Select: RM is a nice lady, helped my brother with some stuff and asked me to open a Wealth Select account with a 5L IP cheque; couldn't say no. IDFC is very tightly/centrally controlled though. Can't close cuz I find confrontations very difficult.

PSU Banks:
SBI Regular Account: The First Account, was opened a decade ago, needed it for the scholarship, and stood in line for 5 hours to open it. Won't close because of nostalgia.
BoB B3 Silver: UPI account. Kotak 811 is not available on Permanent/Aadhaar address.
PNB Unnati/Regular Savings Account: The Branch Manager is a family friend. Again not good at confrontations. 500 MAB cuz Rural Area.

SFB (Interest rates):
Rule of thumb, never cross more than 4.5L
Fincare Priority Savings Account: Best interest for sub 5L balance. Has given me more than 50k in interest till now. 101 is the best account, I opened it offline and got stuck with Priority.
AU Value Savings Account: 5k MAB, will close the debit card. Digital account was not available for my PIN code, this was next best.
Ujjivan Classic Savings Account: 5k MAB.

If anyone has any idea about the Yes bank account upgrade do let me know.

Edit: Even a non-confrontational guy like me has avoided axis like plague. The most dispicable employees I have ever met. Dante's Inferno talks about moneylenders being sent to 7th circle of hell, he was talking about Axis bank employees.
i suggest keeping sbm account. it's essentially a 0 bal account with quarterly 3 lounge access, 0 markup on intl. transactions. nobody calls you for buying some shitty product or taking cc

surprised to see yes bank having great service. didn't even consider to open acc there till now.

that dante's reference made me chuckle & appreciate the diversity & yet closeness of the ppl in this community.

Back