• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How many mutual funds do you invest in?

Is direct equity required on ones portfolio? Have seen many stories of mutlibagger stocks and few thousands becoming lakhs in many years. What advantage does stock investing have over mutual funds?
If you have spend a lot of time, then you should go with Stocks. For investment, I would recommend MF route.

My funds:
1. HDFC Nifty 50 Equal Weight Index Fund
2. Navi Next Nifty 50 Index Fund
3. UTI BSE Low Volatility Index Fund
4. DSP Nifty Midcap 150 Quality 50 Index Fund.
5. DSP Nifty Smallcap 250 Quality 50 Index Fund.

Any reviews.
Looks good.
What is the % of allocation for each fuds.
Better go with Sensex or Nifty 50 instead of Equal weight.

Looks good.
What is the % of allocation for each fuds.
Better go with Sensex or Nifty 50 instead of Equal weight.
7K in each fund. I have choosen equal weight nifty 50 because I have Low Volatility fund. This means I have increased weightage of the nifty 50 stocks which as low volatility instead of the market cap. That was my thought process.

If you have spend a lot of time, then you should go with Stocks. For investment, I would recommend MF route.
Agree, if one has good experience with managing the stocks, then stocks are good option. Else, MFs are good option which are managed by professionals.

If I have 10lks to put into a MF/ETF right now what should I put it in?

I have a moderate risk tolerance.
What is the time frame of investment? For equity MF, minimum 10 years. If less than that then can go for FDs because debt MF is more or less same as FDs after new regulations.

If I have 10lks to put into a MF/ETF right now what should I put it in?

I have a moderate risk tolerance.
Don't invest lumpsum in Equity MF. Don't go ETF. Leave it.
Approach to invest high amounts (10L).
Invest all 10L in debt mutual funds (only overnight and Liquid funds).
Using STP (Monthly) transfer 85K from debt mutual funds to Equity mutual Funds.
At the end of 1 year, all your funds in Equity

I always recommend Index, Direct, Growth funds.
I prefer to use Kuvera platform. It has Lumpsum and STP options.

For instance, if you want invest HDFC Sensex Direct Growth Fund. Invest their HDFC Liquid or overnight funds).
1k will be in HDFC Liquid Fund. Using STP, transfer 85K to HDFC Sensex Direct Growth Fund.

Always use Liquid and Overnight funds instead of Savings Account, FD.

Last one year Liquid funds give 7.5% return. (You can expect 6% return in the long term)

What is the time frame of investment? For equity MF, minimum 10 years. If less than that then can go for FDs because debt MF is more or less same as FDs after new regulations.
I don't prefer FD for investment. They will deduct TDS. only 5L (including Principal and interst) for insurance in banks. up to 4L FD is fine. Beyond not a wise decision.

For long term debt portfolio like 10 years or more, use GILT funds. 100% safe because it is a Government funds. Interest may go up and down.

I have majority of the money in debt instruments like EPF, PPF, SCSS, PMVVY, Money market funds etc.

In equity, I just have 3 mutual funds:
ICICI Largemidcap 250 index fund
Axis Nifty 100 index fund
ICICI Nifty 50 index fund.

I know some overlap is there for these 3 funds. But apart from that how should I strategize? @fradela

I don't prefer FD for investment. They will deduct TDS. only 5L (including Principal and interst) for insurance in banks. up to 4L FD is fine. Beyond not a wise decision.

For long term debt portfolio like 10 years or more, use GILT funds. 100% safe because it is a Government funds. Interest may go up and down.
TDS means you are NOT losing money. You are only paying a small part of your payable tax.

After filing your ITR, you will get back whatever excess TDS you paid and whtever is due to you.

So, TDS or no-TDS should not worry you.

I have majority of the money in debt instruments like EPF, PPF, SCSS, PMVVY, Money market funds etc.

In equity, I just have 3 mutual funds:
ICICI Largemidcap 250 index fund
Axis Nifty 100 index fund
ICICI Nifty 50 index fund.

I know some overlap is there for these 3 funds. But apart from that how should I strategize? @fradela
A lot of overlap.
just stick with only one fund is enough.

ICICI Largemidcap 250 index fund; Go with Zerodha ELSS Largemidcap 250 index fund if you have some amount in in 80c.

Or

Invest these two funds.
Nifty 50 or Sensex (50%)
Nifty Next 50 (50%)

TDS means you are NOT losing money. You are only paying a small part of your payable tax.

After filing your ITR, you will get back whatever excess TDS you paid and whtever is due to you.

So, TDS or no-TDS should not worry you.
If you are retired, you will get TDS amount. Here most of people are working and 30% slap.

If you are retired, you will get TDS amount. Here most of people are working and 30% slap.
Dear,

I am in my 3rd job now. Paid 1.5L ITax. No refund of TDS collected.

On the other hand, over n above that TDS, I had to shell out around 1L extra based on my all income streams.

So, TDS or No TDS - it does not make any difference to me/us. Together, we pay nearly 3.5L ITax.

Dear,

On the other hand, over n above that TDS, I had to shell out around 1L extra based on my all income streams.

So, TDS or No TDS - it does not make any difference to me/us. Together, we pay nearly 3.5L ITax.
Still you are working. Really inspiration for us sir. Nowadays all are talk about FIRE.

Dear,

Personally, I'm not a fan of FD for investment sir. Only emergency fund only I keep in FD that too less than 4L.

Dear,

For those you are fan of FD, Please invest multiple FDs instead of one.
For instance, If we would like to invest 4L in FD, divide 4L by 25K, so you will book, 16 FDs with 25k.
If any emergency come, break one FD is fine.

Back