• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How many mutual funds do you invest in?

Few years ago, I had consolidated from 15+ funds to a few.
Names are irrelevant. I have one fund from each category. I put money as necessary:
Nifty 50 index fund
Nifty next 50 index fund
Gilt fund
Liquid fund

Also have a Flexi cap fund, and a Aggressive Hybrid fund, but stopped investing in them. I will exit them when rebalancing, or when needed.
Very interesting and rightly said that names are irrelevant. Can you please elaborate your reasons on such selection

Very interesting and rightly said that names are irrelevant. Can you please elaborate your reasons on such selection
Index funds are quite self explanatory.
I don't have faith in midcap and small cap stocks. It's too risky for me.
Gilt fund is for debt assets.
Liquid fund is for emergency fund and if needed to rebalance.

I had bought Flexi cap fund, and a Aggressive Hybrid fund, as a single fund to cover the whole market earlier.
I have stopped investing in them, since I don't want to waste time analysing and so decided to dump all equity allocation to a Nifty 50 Index.
When I am feeling courageous, I sometimes invest in Nifty next 50 index.

Everything else don't make sense to me.

Index funds are quite self explanatory.
I don't have faith in midcap and small cap stocks. It's too risky for me.
Gilt fund is for debt assets.
Liquid fund is for emergency fund and if needed to rebalance.

I had bought Flexi cap fund, and a Aggressive Hybrid fund, as a single fund to cover the whole market earlier.
I have stopped investing in them, since I don't want to waste time analysing and so decided to dump all equity allocation to a Nifty 50 Index.
When I am feeling courageous, I sometimes invest in Nifty next 50 index.

Everything else don't make sense to me.
Thanks for the insights...you are quite clear with what you want

Regular: I started long back as someone from the family was having peer pressure, not much just 2K per month in both, and I had no idea about the regular and direct MFs. I want to close both of these, but I am hesitant due to (long/short) taxes.

1. HDFC Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Growth
2. SBI Bluechip Fund Growth

Direct: MFs for long-term savings.

ICICI Prudential Nifty 50 Index Direct Plan Growth
Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund Direct Growth
Quant Mid Cap Fund Direct Growth
Quant Small Cap Fund Direct Plan Growth

Any suggestions are highly welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights...you are quite clear with what you want

A lot of people miss the fact that 'personal finance' is mostly not about finance and it should *not* be taken personally.
(it's mostly about making a detailed plan and sticking to it)

Active SIPs are only in two funds now:

Mirae Asset Large and Mid Cap
HSBC Small Cap

Started MF investment in 2017. Learned a lot through the journey.

I have my lumpsum investments in majorly 3 funds:

1. Nippon Large Cap
2. Quant Flexi Cap
and...
3. ICICI Multi Asset fund

Very less overlapping even in shares of Large Cap. Keep a years' worth of expenses in FD.

Baaki, I really don't understand over diversification that ppl have done. I mean 10s of mutual funds with similar investment strategy. It's immature!

Last edited:
Regular: I started long back as someone from the family was having peer pressure, not much just 2K per month in both, and I had no idea about the regular and direct MFs. I want to close both of these, but I am hesitant due to (long/short) taxes.

1. HDFC Mid Cap Opportunities Fund Growth
2. SBI Bluechip Fund Growth

Direct: MFs for long-term savings.

ICICI Prudential Nifty 50 Index Direct Plan Growth
Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund Direct Growth
Quant Mid Cap Fund Direct Growth
Quant Small Cap Fund Direct Plan Growth

Any suggestions are highly welcomed and appreciated.
You can switch from regular funds after 1 year as gains will be calculated as long term and there will we leeway of 1 lac gains. i doubt if only 2k per month then it wouldn't have fetched more than 1 lac gains. you can even start swp as your earlier sips which have crossed 1 lac will be withdrawn first. so gains are tax free.

and regarding your new plans both small and mid cap from same fund house tend to have huge overlap between them. so better to go with other fund house for one of it.

and why no tax saver funds?? Great way to exhaust 80C limit if following old tax regime.

A lot of people miss the fact that 'personal finance' is mostly not about finance and it should *not* be taken personally.
(it's mostly about making a detailed plan and sticking to it)
Exactly and that's why no approach is wrong....if it suits one and he sticks to it with dedication

Active SIPs are only in two funds now:

Mirae Asset Large and Mid Cap
HSBC Small Cap

Started MF investment in 2017. Learned a lot through the journey.
Same here actually started both MFs and direct stocks in 2017..and then came the COVID and post COVID era...so yes we got to see and learn in many ways.... anything in particular u would like to share ?

I have my lumpsum investments in majorly 3 funds:

1. Nippon Large Cap
2. Quant Flexi Cap
and...
3. ICICI Multi Asset fund

Very less overlapping even in shares of Large Cap. Keep a years' worth of expenses in FD.

Baaki, I really don't understand over diversification that ppl have done. I mean 10s of mutual funds with similar investment strategy. It's immature!
Wow the mix of safety, aggressiveness and asset diversification in just 3 ...kudos to you

You can switch from regular funds after 1 year as gains will be calculated as long term and there will we leeway of 1 lac gains. i doubt if only 2k per month then it wouldn't have fetched more than 1 lac gains. you can even start swp as your earlier sips which have crossed 1 lac will be withdrawn first. so gains are tax free.

and regarding your new plans both small and mid cap from same fund house tend to have huge overlap between them. so better to go with other fund house for one of it.

and why no tax saver funds?? Great way to exhaust 80C limit if following old tax regime.
1. Gain is more than 1 lakh in both funds. I have to hold or pause it for 1 year to avoid short-term tax; long-term worries me more.
2. I can think about closing my small cap one and opting for another. Any suggestions.?
3. I don't need a tax saver fund because I already have a PPF (Personal Provident Fund), and EPF from my employer, and I am on the new tax regime due to the old one not being beneficial since I am in the 30% tax slab.

1. Gain is more than 1 lakh in both funds. I have to hold or pause it for 1 year to avoid short-term tax; long-term worries me more.
2. I can think about closing my small cap one and opting for another. Any suggestions.?
3. I don't need a tax saver fund because I already have a PPF (Personal Provident Fund), and EPF from my employer, and I am on the new tax regime due to the old one not being beneficial since I am in the 30% tax slab.
ohh ok. regarding small cap its your choice personally like fund managers of canara robeco and tata Small cap but they have less history( fund age < 7 yrs and tata acceps only sips). If you want tried and tested fund then Nippon small cap is always among top performer.

Reactions: H2O
Back