• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How many stock brokers you have and for what purposes?

Damn, any other companies that provide benefits to shareholders?

Bombay dyeing used to also give discount coupons to their shareholders a long time ago. Had got a few from a friend and used them then. I am not sure if they still give now. Not really sure of other companies that do.

Found another post on technofino if anyone is interested.

You are right..
But I subscribed to 9,999 plan and it offers a bit cheaper rates..
The main reason why I keep it is , I want some full time reliable full service broker for uncertain times..ie during heavy volume and heavy volatile days…

There is a reason why these budget brokers like Zerodha survive in the market and I don’t want to discuss that in public forums like these
I agree with you here 100%.

I have been using Zerodha for a few years now. A close friend of mine uses Zerodha as well, and he got stuck in such a situation on 3 June when Zerodha refused to square off his hedged positions. He incurred a major loss that day because of this error. Losses are part of the game, so he isn't disappointed, but both of us are considering a different full fledged broker now.

Which one would you recommend?
ICICI looks good to me, but I want your opinion based on your experience so far. IIRC, the margin for Futures earns interest (~3% pa) in ICICI unlike Zerodha, since this is directly linked with savings account. Correct?

Just in case there are any offers I'm unaware of, I have an ICICI Wealth account and the HDFC Imperia account.

• Lovely
Reactions: SSV

I have been using Zerodha for a few years now. A close friend of mine uses Zerodha as well, and he got stuck in such a situation on 3 June when Zerodha refused to square off his hedged positions. He incurred a major loss that day because of this error. Losses are part of the game, so he isn't disappointed, but both of us are considering a different full fledged broker now.

ICICI looks good to me, but I want your opinion based on your experience so far. IIRC, the margin for Futures earns interest (~3% pa) in ICICI unlike Zerodha, since this is directly linked with savings account. Correct?

Just in case there are any offers I'm unaware of, I have an ICICI Wealth account and the HDFC Imperia account.
Forgot to add, anybody considering the one time cost of 2k/5k/10k high in ICICI - it will be recovered in ONE trade on a bad day, when your trade will be executed but the trade from a discount broker will be stuck.

It's like this meme -
E1xHHAsVEAEW7k6.jpg

You will watch your positions worsening in front of your eyes, but you can't do anything about it. Losses going deeper, OR profits eroding by the second. That day, even a 5k fee seems cheap and value for money.
--
With the kind of capital we are investing, I would go with the best broker in India.
I used to trust Zerodha earlier, and have paid their 300 AMC ever since 2018 when my capital was far too low. But this trust has been eroded with their flawed services.

*I'm not aware of ICICI trade wise charges (wrt Zerodha), so can't comment on that. But one time charges ain't high.

Just go with ICICI Direct..
I am also not that much experienced in Indian markets yet.. but from this year onwards I will be and I just started ..
In full service brokers ICICI leads the pack and they have some sophisticated infrastructure and established policies in place and very expereinced in this area.
Thanks to the Budget players, now ICICI pricing became reasonable for the serivces they offer..
Beofre these budget guys came, ICICI direct almost looted from the people .. but now things bacame reasonable..

as far as, Wealth is concenred, if you are wealth customer you get priority support in ICICI direct called "Priority Circle" which is good..

THis is how I am planning:
1) all delivery based "Zerodha"
2) All derivatives and Intraday ICICI..

and on heavy volatile days , ICICI..

As I dont do much derivatives and intraday , not expereiced much in ICICI.. but in future I might..

All the best

Forgot to add, anybody considering the one time cost of 2k/5k/10k high in ICICI - it will be recovered in ONE trade on a bad day, when your trade will be executed but the trade from a discount broker will be stuck.

With the kind of capital we are investing, I would go with the best broker in India.
I used to trust Zerodha earlier, and have paid their 300 AMC ever since 2018 when my capital was far too low. But this trust has been eroded with their flawed services.

*I'm not aware of ICICI trade wise charges (wrt Zerodha), so can't comment on that. But one time charges ain't high.
As I said before , I don't want to discuss in public forums how "players like " Zerodha makes money" on highly volatile days..

We can lose the entire profit in single day.. or can wipe out the capital as well...all in front of our eyes...
I doinbt wnato open a can of worms here...

and on heavy volitile days , ICICI..
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I appreciate your advice here. Based on what you wrote, I'll do this -
  1. Visit my home branch and negotiate with them to get a discount on these plans. I have a friend in there, hopefully it works.
  2. All trade positions go to ICICI starting now.
  3. I can consider moving equity positions from zerodha to ICICI. My equity trade volume is low, and not rushed.
    1. An added benefit could be that my NRV with ICICI increases, and that could help me for better CC and LE. This is much much less important though, just a side benefit.

I am also not that much experienced in Indian markets yet.. but from this year onwards I will be and I just started ..
In full service brokers ICICI leads the pack and they have some sophisticated infrastructure and established policies in place and very expereinced in this area.
Thanks to the Budget players, now ICICI pricing became reasonable for the serivces they offer..
Beofre these budget guys came, ICICI direct almost looted from the people .. but now things bacame reasonable..

as far as, Wealth is concenred, if you are wealth customer you get priority support in ICICI direct called "Priority Circle" which is good..

and on heavy volatile days , ICICI..

As I dont do much derivatives and intraday , not expereiced much in ICICI.. but in future I might..

All the best

What's the purpose of having delivery based in zeroda and derivative in ICICI?

You can leverage your stock that you hold for the margin that is required for derivative of all are with the same broker. This margin % varies for each stock specific and is mentioned on NSE/BSE. This way you upfront margin will not be deducted every day. You will also be paying AMC for just 1 broker instead of 2.

What's the purpose of having delivery based in zeroda and derivative in ICICI?

You can leverage your stock that you hold for the margin that is required for derivative of all are with the same broker. This margin % varies for each stock specific and is mentioned on NSE/BSE. This way you upfront margin will not be deducted every day. You will also be paying AMC for just 1 broker instead of 2.
Mainly I am not big derivative player..
I play with my own money , not on borrowed money and I am not a big leverage player..
Market is just one part of my income..

You will also be paying AMC for just 1 broker instead of 2.
If we are thinking about AMCs , we should not be in the market.. in my view..

I play the game very precisely and with clear plan and conviction..
I dont do calcualtions on charges, rather I do focus on my earnings and stability of the broker in terms of quality of service and support..
More imporatnly relaibillity at crucial times..

Adding to that, sometimes we are so comfortable with one broker that switching might cause some irritation.

For example, I am accustomed to Zerodha font size, buttons and graph options. It seems like a silly thing to consider, but I know I could make a wrong trade if I mis-read something. We are only human.

This is a big reason I feel all brokers can co-exist, as long as they remain stable. Traders rarely ever switch brokers - far too much mind investment is done in one broken when they began trading.

Mainly I am not big derivative player..
I play with my own money , not on borrowed money and I am not a big leverage player..
Market is just one part of my income..

If we are thinking about AMCs , we should not be in the market.. in my view..

I play the game very precisely and with clear plan and conviction..
I dont do calcualtions on charges, rather I do focus on my earnings and stability of the broker in terms of quality of service and support..
More imporatnly relaibillity at crucial times..

This still doesn't answer the question.
What you mentioned is what most "non professional" traders do. One would be silly to do FnO on borrowed money. It's the highest risk that there is.
If you are to do it, and if you can leverage the margin from the stocks you hold and not have to upfront pay that every day, isn't that a smarter way to do it? The value of the stocks in ur portfolio are sitting idle.. put that to use!

If you are to do it, and if you can leverage the margin from the stocks you hold and not have to upfront pay that every day, isn't that a smarter way to do it? The value of the stocks in ur portfolio are sitting idle.. put that to use!
This is also correct.. but I already mentioned that I wont do derivateves much at all to consider this scenario..

That is there in case of I needed it, in future..

Mainly short term momentum trader / investor in the stocks..

but for those who want to levergae the margin from the stocks, what you are saying is right..
In this case, I recommend ICICI rather than Zerodha..

Adding to that, sometimes we are so comfortable with one broker that switching might cause some irritation.

For example, I am accustomed to Zerodha font size, buttons and graph options. It seems like a silly thing to consider, but I know I could make a wrong trade if I mis-read something. We are only human.

This is a big reason I feel all brokers can co-exist, as long as they remain stable. Traders rarely ever switch brokers - far too much mind investment is done in one broken when they began trading.
See the thing is, we need to have backups.. we cant rely on any single player , irrespective of how much we like them..

and everyone's need and mindset is very different... and this evolves within oneself as well over the preriod of the time.

We need to choose whatever fits well within our mindset.. but need to follow some fundamentals in choosing whom we are going to do our business with..

Just my 2 cents, if anyone found the axis Magnus fiasco stressful then FnO is not for you. It takes a lot of discipline, will power and I donk know what not, but it's not easy. It's ok to do it once in a while but at the end it's the brokers who make the money in FnO and trading.

Just my 2 cents, if anyone found the axis Magnus fiasco stressful then FnO is not for you. It takes a lot of discipline, will power and I donk know what not, but it's not easy. It's ok to do it once in a while but at the end it's the brokers who make the money in FnO and trading.
this is exactly reason why I dont do derivatives.. it doesn't suit my mindset and thinking..

We all have different strenghts.. and weaknesses..
We need to focus on our strenghts rather than sitting here and thinking about weaknesses.. some weknesses can't be overcome in the entire life.. it is better to spend time on our strengths and be good at it rather than wasting preicious time worrying about uncurable weaknesses.

this is exactly reason why I dont do derivatives.. it doesn't suit my mindset and thinking..

We all have different strenghts.. and weaknesses..
We need to focus on our strenghts rather than sitting here and thinking about weaknesses.. some weknesses can't be overcome in the entire life.. it is better to spend time on our strengths and be good at it rather than wasting preicious time worrying about uncurable weaknesses.
Having said that practicing it occasionally for academic purposes and knowing a bit about how this segment works by participating in it at a very small level will not do harm..
In fact it enhances our knowledge about whole spectrum of market ...

SO basically focus on our core strengths to advance in our lives and learn about other areas to some extent to understnad the whole thing...
that is the idea..

At the end, we need our core to be very strong otherwise we are no-body in this world...

Two: Zerodha and INDMoney. INDMoney I agreed to open because they really took some efforts to restore my US Stocks account. I had rage quit the app because of horrible customer support at the time of closing my previously held account.

Does anyone here know an ICICI stock broker agent?

I'd like to open a trading account with them. I've waited patiently for 6 years, for Zerodha to step up and be better. But they're f****ing up too bad.

Mandatory tag @SSV cause he knows his stuff when talking about ICICI securities.

Back