• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I Made Mistake With AMEX MRCC Card

Sanskar

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I recently applied my first AMEX CARD (MRCC) and I made a mistake. I didn’t use referral.
Now its first year fee is ₹1000 and from second year onwards ₹4500

Card is about to deliver soon

Is there any trick or method to make it first year free and from second year onwards ₹1500

Or should I cancel it and reapply, if I do it, will be there any cooling period?

Why take a chance with AmEx. What if you don't activate it now and you apply after 90 days AND they say NO ? Now that you got it, start enjoying the card.
Exactly, this is my main concern

After getting Card, I will wait for 20-25 days and AMEX provide me any better deal well and good

OTHERWISE, I WILL USE IT FOR NEXT ONE YEAR, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE.

I recently applied my first AMEX CARD (MRCC) and I made a mistake. I didn’t use referral.

Is there any trick or method to make it first year free and from second year onwards ₹1500

Or should I cancel it and reapply, if I do it, will be there any cooling period?

My advice would be to use it for the year. In a few months, apply for another variant using a referral. Then, close this card. Few months later, apply again with referral. That way, you continue to enjoy AMEX benefits while circling back to what you want to do right now.

But, if you just wanted the card for the sake of it, I guess do not activate it and apply again some months later if you want the same variant.

Personally, I would take a card only if it serves the purpose I am taking it for, whatever that may be. If I need to pay fees for it, so be it. I would not go back on a decision made, just for a fee difference, that, too, when it involves a whole year.

The AMEX cards, when used right, pay far over their fees.

Last edited:
MRCC is their base level card.
above that is gold and above that is Platinum travel.
ITR required is more

Ok. But same eligibility criteria for MRCC and Plat Travel. Moreover bank itself offered that card as an upgrade to some of the MRCC cards even under 1 year of relationship. So, IMO its not that difficult to get card.

Will AMEX platinum travel get approved easily??
Y E S, should be since eligibilty criteria is same.
My advice would be to use it for the year. In a few months, apply for another variant using a referral. Then, close this card. Few months later, apply again with referral. That way, you continue to enjoy AMEX benefits.

But, if you just wanted the card for the sake of it, I guess do not activate it and apply again some months later if you want the same variant.

Personally, I would take a card only if it serves the purpose I am taking it for, whatever that may be. If I need to pay fees for it, so be it. I would not go back on a decision made, just for a fee difference, that, too, when it involves a whole year.

The AMEX cards, when used right, pay far over their fees.
Also this is a fair idea, so choice is yours OP.

I suggest you to apply for smart earn from referral mine or some one you know after approval then close mrcc stating referral was unsuccessful and don't activate mrcc . After using smart earn for 3-4months and then apply for mrcc from invite link this would be a better option. Please let me know if invite link is required

Cancelling the Card is a great idea
No, it's not. The fere is only 1k for the first year. You applied because you wanted this card. Why risk it now just for 1k? Request them and see if they can waive it or give you some reward points. Otherwise, keep it. There is no guarantee it will be approved again.

For the best course of action:

1) Apply for Platinum travel immdediately and I am sure you will get the card 100% and I can guide you thru.
2) you can do whatever you want with MRCC without jeopardizing your relationship with Amex
3)If you want Gold card also there will be another strategy that need to be deployed ie. ( if you want Trifecta ie. Gold , PlatTravel and MRCC) and having all the MR points pooled together..

DM me for complete details and guidance, if you are intereseted..

Enjoy...

The point here is: you can rectify your course of action and make all three cards as if issued under referral...
But , MRCC without under referral program is the worst decision and need to be retracted soon...

Last edited:

1) Apply for Platinum travel immdediately and I am sure you will get the card 100% and I can guide you thru.
2) you can do whatever you want with MRCC without jeopardizing your relationship with Amex
3)If you want Gold card also there will be another strategy that need to be deployed ie. ( if you want Trifecta ie. Gold , PlatTravel and MRCC) and having all the MR points pooled together..

Enjoy...

The point here is: you can rectify your course of action and make all three cards as if ussed under referral...
MRCC without under referral program is the worst decision and need to be retracted soon...
Dear SSV,
He is thinking twice now for 1K fee for 1 card. And, you are suggesting 3 cards....

Dear SSV,
He is thinking twice now for 1K fee for 1 card. And, you are suggesting 3 cards....
I am only trying to tell him that the course of action changes for the number of cards he intended to have..
He should not be doing the same mistake he did just now if he wants to have all 3 cards..this is where Expertise comes into the picture...
1) He can have only MRCC
2) he can have both mrcc and plat travel
3) he can have Trifecta

The course of action changes according to which option he chooses

The biggest downer for AmEx is the low acceptance level in non-metro, tier-2/3/4 towns.

So, for a first timer to AmEx, it is suggested that they start on a low key n scale up in the next 2-3 years. More so, if such first timers are from tier-2/3/4 towns. Avoidable headache n pressure must be avoided - not withstanding the inducements.

The biggest downer for AmEx is the low acceptance level in non-metro, tier-2/3/4 towns.

So, for a first timer to AmEx, it is suggested that they start on a low key n scale up in the next 2-3 years. More so, if such first timers are from tier-2/3/4 towns. Avoidable headache n pressure must be avoided - not withstanding the inducements.
Yes true,
It all depends upon the individual case largely depends on
1) planned spending
2) usual area of residence
3) online / offline spending

By noway I am suggesting him to take Trifecta. I am only suggesting him that there are different plans that need to be executed for the 3 different options I mentioned above..

As I said before, an experienced customer need to help OP in all different options..

Dmed

Enjoy...

The point here is: you can rectify your course of action and make all three cards as if issued under referral...
But , MRCC without under referral program is the worst decision and need to be retracted soon...
Check DM

Yes, I am from tier 2 city.
I have to keep that thing in mind

Back