• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

I Made Mistake With AMEX MRCC Card

Sanskar

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I recently applied my first AMEX CARD (MRCC) and I made a mistake. I didn’t use referral.
Now its first year fee is ₹1000 and from second year onwards ₹4500

Card is about to deliver soon

Is there any trick or method to make it first year free and from second year onwards ₹1500

Or should I cancel it and reapply, if I do it, will be there any cooling period?

Take both MRCC and Platinum travel and close both after 364 days and not pay anything.
This is absolutely a disastrous strategy in my view..
Amex is for long term, not like 🪓 ...

The points need to be redeemed in a best possible way.. for that to happen your card need to be active.. as sometimes partners offer extra bonus for point conversion time to time..
Amex points never expire as long as the card is active...

No, it's not. The fere is only 1k for the first year. You applied because you wanted this card. Why risk it now just for 1k? Request them and see if they can waive it or give you some reward points. Otherwise, keep it. There is no guarantee it will be approved again.
1. why to look only for joining fee, the difference in annual fee when applied without referal and with referal is huge. without referal 4500+gst, with referal 1500+ gst which is just 33% of non referal account.
2. high risk/chance that offer of discounted annual/joining fee when applied through referal, will not be there next year when you decide to close card before annual fee levy.

yes there is no guarantee of approval after 90 days if closed now, but then its not what amex wants. they want to increasing their customer base so they shall approve if profile remains good.

decide on long term path.

That's good, at least you are being honest about it.
There are some who offer Amazon pay and default. There was a major complaint about it recently.
Yes.. I had been doing this from the beginning.. and I tell them upfront that I wont offer any type of incentives .. but I provide them complete guidance in Amex applications until the end .... Inspite of that about 50% people took my advises and used someone else's referral.. thats life...
But whatever I do in any part of my life, I will be upfront about my views, and with a very straight forward and clear cut communication with others..
thats me...

This is absolutely a disastrous strategy in my view..
Amex is for long term, not like 🪓 ...

The points need to be redeemed in a best possible way.. for that to happen your card need to be active.. as sometimes partners offer extra bonus for point conversion time to time..
Amex points never expire as long as the card is active...

Few think long term, especially with paid cards. They want to make a quick buck with rewards and leave, and apply again and close before the next payment date, ad nauseam, ad infinitum. 🥲

• Hehe
Reactions: SSV
After the last devaluation, redeeming points for Amazon pay reduces the value of the point to just 33 paisa (18000 points required for 6000 Amazon pay)

So the best option is Marriott points 1:1 transfer which gives a point value of over 43 Paisa
Or Virgin Atlantic with 2:1 transfer ratio if you want to fly to London

But even with 48000 points (received on 4 lacs annual spend on Platinum travel card by phoning customer care) it's very difficult to get even 2 nights stay in a city centre Marriott hotel in Europe or USA or southeast Asia

Last edited:
Take both MRCC and Platinum travel and close both after 364 days and not pay anything.

Some senior members are offering 1000--4000 Amazon pay vouchers as incentive in lieu of 12000 points received as referral commission
When you say "close after 364 days", I assume 1. All points are redeemed 2. The closure is instant (within a day) so as not to lose benefits / be charged annual fee.

After the last devaluation, redeeming points for Amazon pay reduces the value of the point to just 33 paisa (18000 points required for 6000 Amazon pay)

So the best option is Marriott points 1:1 transfer which gives a point value of 43 to 50 paisa.

But even with 48000 points (received on 4 lacs annual spend on Platinum travel card by phoning customer care) it's very difficult to get even 2 nights stay in a city centre Marriott hotel in Europe or USA or southeast Asia
What was earlier conversion ratio for Amazon?

When you say "close after 364 days", I assume 1. All points are redeemed 2. The closure is instant (within a day) so as not to lose benefits / be charged annual fee.
Yes you can close Platinum travel card as soon as you receive 48000 points and convert them to 48000 Marriott points @1:1 ratio (best option)

You can close MRCC and Gold after 360 days and after converting all the points to Marriott.
You will get a value of over 43 Paisa for each point. See the guide below 👇
OR
when you reach the target of 18000 points and convert them to 6000 Amazon pay. You will get a value of only 33 paise for each.point

But before you apply for any card just check the guide below to find out the number of points required for the cheapest Marriott hotel in your next holiday destination, and then calculate how many points you will need to stay there for a few nights.
You will be surprised.

Here is a guide to help you

Last edited:
For Amex points, Mariott is the best transfer partner @ 1:1 ratio because they have over 8000 hotels all over the world.
You will get a value of over 43 Paisa for each Amex point

Here is a guide to the number of Marriott hotel points required per room night and also average & maximum Marriott point valuations for all Marriott hotels all over the world--

Virgin Atlantic is also a good transfer partner @2:1 ratio if you are flying to London and back.
Mumbai to London return trip on Virgin Atlantic is 20000 miles + 300 GBP (variable)
So with 40000 Amex points plus Rs.32400 you can get a return air ticket (56400 revenue fare on other airlines). This values the Amex point at 60 paisa, the highest value!

Last edited:
Back