• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

is SBI management beyond repair?

ltf4ever

TF Ace
is sbi a hopelessly gone case when it comes to any customer service?

context:
my dad has gone to the branch for getting some work done that can be only done offline.
while he was in queue at number 2, the peon approached the lady at the counter with some paperwork that was sent by the branch manager which contained an HNI customer's requests.

the time was just 10 min before lunch time. by the time she finished with the BM's request, it was lunch time and she straightaway left the window for her lunch. when my father pointed this out, she had the audacity to shout at him saying that she was also doing office work only, it was BM's orders, etc.

now I know that if it was any other standard bank, I could highlight this to authorities with a formal complaint. but I don't have any faith in SBI's escalation matrix. and my complaint is not going to resolve the decades old mismanagement and customer service issues that SBI is famous for.

my question is, has any member of this community found any trick or jugaad that can instill fear in the minds of SBI employees into doing their work on time and leave aside the govt job type of vibe?

[end of rant]

akshayhs

TF Ace
The issue here is, we give good business to private banks and expect the free service from Govt bank.
Govt banks are not for you, They are for masses.
Wow GIF - Wow GIFs

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Not Agree with all your points.. Once Bank Of Baroda branch Clerk & BM was denying me to open Savings A/c. I complained to RBI Ombudsman, after that they opened my a/c, I only maintain 25k in a/c but they treat me like VIP now because they know that i am aware, I not only talk, i also take actions and it is not easy to fool me by making lame excuses.
I complained about hudfc .
Branch manager became my friend.. everytime i went to cabin directly.
Even though i went to clear my negative balance of -5000
Bcz i didn't use the account for 2 year bcz their staff misbehaved

arun4455

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had similar type of experience with PNB few years back. Then I saw an escalation matrix printed on a board, I just followed the same and registered a complaint.
Then branch manager chases me for week.. sir please visit the branch, I will get the work done on priority. Then I visited and work done in 10 mins.

sjmajumder

TF Ace

context:
my dad has gone to the branch for getting some work done that can be only done offline.
while he was in queue at number 2, the peon approached the lady at the counter with some paperwork that was sent by the branch manager which contained an HNI customer's requests.

the time was just 10 min before lunch time. by the time she finished with the BM's request, it was lunch time and she straightaway left the window for her lunch. when my father pointed this out, she had the audacity to shout at him saying that she was also doing office work only, it was BM's orders, etc.

now I know that if it was any other standard bank, I could highlight this to authorities with a formal complaint. but I don't have any faith in SBI's escalation matrix. and my complaint is not going to resolve the decades old mismanagement and customer service issues that SBI is famous for.

my question is, has any member of this community found any trick or jugaad that can instill fear in the minds of SBI employees into doing their work on time and leave aside the govt job type of vibe?

[end of rant]

I had a tough 10 years journey with SBI for my Home Loan.

1. I did not check anything for the insurance option and they very conveniently added SBI RINN RAKSHA to my loan. When I refused to take it they said the loan offer will be cancelled if I don't take it and I have to make a fresh application. I was living in Mumbai at that time and came down to Kolkata just for the loan and going back and coming again would have cost nearly the same so I decided to go ahead with it. SBI earned 35K from me by selling an insurance I didn't need and didn't opt for. This is ROBBERY in broad daylight. My only mistake I didn't check "not required".

2. I opted for MaxGain (I DID check the box) but still they opened normal loan account. I didn't understand and put all money from my various accounts into the loan account but when I tried to withdraw I couldn't. Then on contacting branch official I came to know they had opened normal loan account and there is no way to withdraw the excess amount paid. I landed into a big financial trouble with no money available with me.

3. I asked them to convert it to MaxGain. First they refused. Then I reached out to AGM in RACPC, he said it can be done only if I had ticked the MaxGain option in my original application. They took about a month to check the documents which was lying in their own document locker and finally confirmed that I had indeed ticked the option.

4. They asked for Rs. 1000 as conversion fee. I refused to pay because it was their fault. They kept sending me letters for 3 months. I kept replying on email. Finally after 3 months got a letter stating the charges has been waived.

5. Even after converting to MaxGain I was not able to withdraw. Learnt from branch official that I have to make a separate written application to enable transactions. Again the situation was urgent for me to withdraw some money. I spent 350 bucks and couriered the application through BlueDart so that they get it next day. But this branch official was so casual he simply told me courier not received in spite of me sending him the POD. I had to call up branch AGM and he called that person and I could hear him saying out loud to the AGM that I am troubling him by calling him repeatedly. Just imagine the audacity an officer has to speak like that against a customer who is suffering because of his poor service and that too to his AGM. Anyways, finally with the AGM's intervention the matter was resolved that day.

6. Next few years went smoothly but again faced an issue when converted it from MCLR to EBLR. Submitted cheque of 5K (fees) along with application. The cheque was cashed by SBI and in addition to that they debited my HL account for Rs. 11800. I kept on calling and mailing but nobody reverted for more than a month. Finally I complained to CPGRAMS and then they reversed on getting letter from the Ministry of Finance, GoI.

7. It was over a month which meant some amount of interest paid. I asked them to credit the same to my account but again no response and again CPGRAMS complaint and action after getting letter from the Ministry of Finance, GoI.

8. After such an eventful 10 years finally I received SMS asking me to visit branch and close the account as loan recovered. I went to the branch and they asked me to give an application. After submitting application they said it has to be verified from RACPC and then account will be closed. It will take 30-45 minutes. Although I didn't understand what needs to be verified as branch handles financial transactions and RACPC maintains documents and account was clearly showing 0 balance, I went back after 1 hour and waited for another before I lost my cool. I started by telling the lady my journey so far and she had the audacity to tell me you have resolved all your problems by closing the account. Just bear with us for some more time. On hearing this I lost my temper and shouted for the next 30 minutes till I got my NOC. On my way out entered the Chief Manager's cabin (10 years back it used to be AGM's cabin) and lent him a piece of my mind. He listened to me quietly and didn't say a word. I left.

9. Went to RACPC with the NOC to collect my deed and other documents. The person checked in his system and told me Rinn Raksha account is not closed. I told him it's zero balance but he said it needs to be closed before he can give me back my documents. I asked him what to do? He gave me a number to call the branch. I called but there was no answer, then he tried still no answer. Then I asked for the Chief Manager's number. He hesitated at first but then I told him my experience in the branch the previous day and that I will start shouting here too if he didn't give me the number. Then he finally gave the number and when I dialed, I was surprised to find that the number was already saved in my mobile as AGM's number from 10 years back. He didn't pick up the phone, and kept disconnecting. I messaged on WhatsApp and this time for the the time ever I got some support. He got the account closed in next 5 minutes and I got my documents back.

*** End of a Pathetic Banking Journey ***

mrbanker

TF Select
I had a tough 10 years journey with SBI for my Home Loan.

1. I did not check anything for the insurance option and they very conveniently added SBI RINN RAKSHA to my loan. When I refused to take it they said the loan offer will be cancelled if I don't take it and I have to make a fresh application. I was living in Mumbai at that time and came down to Kolkata just for the loan and going back and coming again would have cost nearly the same so I decided to go ahead with it. SBI earned 35K from me by selling an insurance I didn't need and didn't opt for. This is ROBBERY in broad daylight. My only mistake I didn't check "not required".

2. I opted for MaxGain (I DID check the box) but still they opened normal loan account. I didn't understand and put all money from my various accounts into the loan account but when I tried to withdraw I couldn't. Then on contacting branch official I came to know they had opened normal loan account and there is no way to withdraw the excess amount paid. I landed into a big financial trouble with no money available with me.

3. I asked them to convert it to MaxGain. First they refused. Then I reached out to AGM in RACPC, he said it can be done only if I had ticked the MaxGain option in my original application. They took about a month to check the documents which was lying in their own document locker and finally confirmed that I had indeed ticked the option.

4. They asked for Rs. 1000 as conversion fee. I refused to pay because it was their fault. They kept sending me letters for 3 months. I kept replying on email. Finally after 3 months got a letter stating the charges has been waived.

5. Even after converting to MaxGain I was not able to withdraw. Learnt from branch official that I have to make a separate written application to enable transactions. Again the situation was urgent for me to withdraw some money. I spent 350 bucks and couriered the application through BlueDart so that they get it next day. But this branch official was so casual he simply told me courier not received in spite of me sending him the POD. I had to call up branch AGM and he called that person and I could hear him saying out loud to the AGM that I am troubling him by calling him repeatedly. Just imagine the audacity an officer has to speak like that against a customer who is suffering because of his poor service and that too to his AGM. Anyways, finally with the AGM's intervention the matter was resolved that day.

6. Next few years went smoothly but again faced an issue when converted it from MCLR to EBLR. Submitted cheque of 5K (fees) along with application. The cheque was cashed by SBI and in addition to that they debited my HL account for Rs. 11800. I kept on calling and mailing but nobody reverted for more than a month. Finally I complained to CPGRAMS and then they reversed on getting letter from the Ministry of Finance, GoI.

7. It was over a month which meant some amount of interest paid. I asked them to credit the same to my account but again no response and again CPGRAMS complaint and action after getting letter from the Ministry of Finance, GoI.

8. After such an eventful 10 years finally I received SMS asking me to visit branch and close the account as loan recovered. I went to the branch and they asked me to give an application. After submitting application they said it has to be verified from RACPC and then account will be closed. It will take 30-45 minutes. Although I didn't understand what needs to be verified as branch handles financial transactions and RACPC maintains documents and account was clearly showing 0 balance, I went back after 1 hour and waited for another before I lost my cool. I started by telling the lady my journey so far and she had the audacity to tell me you have resolved all your problems by closing the account. Just bear with us for some more time. On hearing this I lost my temper and shouted for the next 30 minutes till I got my NOC. On my way out entered the Chief Manager's cabin (10 years back it used to be AGM's cabin) and lent him a piece of my mind. He listened to me quietly and didn't say a word. I left.

9. Went to RACPC with the NOC to collect my deed and other documents. The person checked in his system and told me Rinn Raksha account is not closed. I told him it's zero balance but he said it needs to be closed before he can give me back my documents. I asked him what to do? He gave me a number to call the branch. I called but there was no answer, then he tried still no answer. Then I asked for the Chief Manager's number. He hesitated at first but then I told him my experience in the branch the previous day and that I will start shouting here too if he didn't give me the number. Then he finally gave the number and when I dialed, I was surprised to find that the number was already saved in my mobile as AGM's number from 10 years back. He didn't pick up the phone, and kept disconnecting. I messaged on WhatsApp and this time for the the time ever I got some support. He got the account closed in next 5 minutes and I got my documents back.

*** End of a Pathetic Banking Journey ***
I once overheard a retired DGM of sbi utter these words about the working attitude of branch officials: "Walk in minus drive out equals business".

varunagarwal

TF Buzz
Problem with government bank is they have to serve everybody equally where private banks takes lead they have set bar of MAB
BM serve some customer exclusively only because they do give business to govt banks whereas masses doesn't
Just Give SBI life/ FAT FD to BM then see magic

sjmajumder

TF Ace
Problem with government bank is they have to serve everybody equally where private banks takes lead they have set bar of MAB
BM serve some customer exclusively only because they do give business to govt banks whereas masses doesn't
Just Give SBI life/ FAT FD to BM then see magic
I didn't ask for any special service. Taking a HL is giving them guaranteed business for a long term. They are supposed to provide the required services and not mess up everything and show attitude. I got better service from ICICI bank even when I visited them just to apply for an addon CC and in spite of me refusing to accept a zero balance privilege account on the spot.

Last edited:

sjmajumder

TF Ace
If you are dealing with SBI or any Govt bank, provide them with good business. Branch Manager will help you. Help them to help you.
The issue here is, we give good business to private banks and expect the free service from Govt bank.
Govt banks are not for you, They are for masses.

If they want business first they have to give good service. Business doesn't come for free. You have to put in your effort for that. I will give business only if I am impressed with their service.

doraemon

TF Ace
Being a sbi customer what I saw is from bm to chaprasi everyone is trying to mis sell the common man

Sharing one incident
Last month I visited branch for inquiring credit card

Then I saw a couple who was illiterate and mam told me to fill her form for her pension amount
As I filled the form I asked her how long u were standing like this
She told me the person at counter is not helping and saying to fill form on its own and be in line

As she was aged (senior)
I filled form and when her turn came counter wala told her that yours is zero balance account and they do not entertain such customer and told her to visit bc branch for cash 😡

Basically he was trying to force her to take SBI life insurance of 3k to get cash

asahi

TF Premier

context:

[end of rant]
In my case Manager refused to Open A New Acc citing no reason & said No come tomorrow(I travelled 100+ Km coz my CIF is at that branch only Old Acc). But it’s my 3rd trip already. When i complained on him via sbi site, nothing happened, not even a follow up from CC OR bank manager or anyone. My complaint was left like that. That’s the nature of ShitBI. So i stopped at PNB On my way back they gave me an Acc Without any trouble

context:

[end of rant]
I seriously have no idea why people still have accounts in sbi? I mean you are posting in this community it means you are a educated person and you should know that private sector banks like hdfc and icici can never fail. So you should just close the sbi account and open in some private banks. These public sector banks are meant for low income people and those who are scared of private banks. Fyi i have savings account in almost all major private banks in india and only one public sector acount(PNB) to deposit cash in its CDM.

Last edited:

doraemon

TF Ace
I seriously have no idea why people still have accounts in sbi? I mean you are posting in this community it means your are a educated person and you should know that private sector banks like hdfc and icici can never fail. So you should just close the account and open in some private banks. These public sector banks are meant for low income people and those who are scared of private banks. Fyi i have savings account in almost all major private banks in india and only one public sector acount(PNB) to deposit cash in its CDM.
I would deviate form your thoughts
It's not private or public banks

Bank of Baroda is a public bank but there customer support is more better than my ICICI branch people

It's not about whether a bank is public or private sector
It's functional managers and employees who actually face customers rather than corporate sector or business sector
Thing is in one branch employees can be great where in another branch employees can be rude and dumb

Customer service is more important

techt

TF Legend
I would deviate form your thoughts
It's not private or public banks

Bank of Baroda is a public bank but there customer support is more better than my ICICI branch people

It's not about whether a bank is public or private sector
It's functional managers and employees who actually face customers rather than corporate sector or business sector
Thing is in one branch employees can be great where in another branch employees can be rude and dumb

Customer service is more important
wow ... deep message.
Everything is relative.

narun2001

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
While I agree that there's a systemic problem with their customer support, there was a good recent experience I had with them while closing home loan. First day, before going to the branch, we had called them to check if we could start to ensure that we wouldn't have surprises at the branch. The manager had asked us to come, however, when we reached they had few people already doing the process and the lady at the desk told that it would take time. When enquired how much time, she repeated that it'll take time. We requested her saying that we left our kid back at home with the grandparents and we needed to be back ASAP, she advised us to come the next morning and that she will get ours expedited. With a 1 year old, it's hard to decide on a time and go out, so, we went the next morning although sometime late. Now, the good part, this time another guy in late 40s gave us a token and asked us to come at 4 after collecting the documents and issuing a token. We initially thought "not again!", but then, when we later went at 4, he had already finished all the formalities and just asked for a sign. We were in and out in just 15 minutes! I'm not sure whether I had the bar very low for me to consider this as a good experience after going there thrice for a single procedure. But the last experience and the gesture by that guy was very nice!