• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

is SBI management beyond repair?

ltf4ever

TF Ace
is sbi a hopelessly gone case when it comes to any customer service?

context:
my dad has gone to the branch for getting some work done that can be only done offline.
while he was in queue at number 2, the peon approached the lady at the counter with some paperwork that was sent by the branch manager which contained an HNI customer's requests.

the time was just 10 min before lunch time. by the time she finished with the BM's request, it was lunch time and she straightaway left the window for her lunch. when my father pointed this out, she had the audacity to shout at him saying that she was also doing office work only, it was BM's orders, etc.

now I know that if it was any other standard bank, I could highlight this to authorities with a formal complaint. but I don't have any faith in SBI's escalation matrix. and my complaint is not going to resolve the decades old mismanagement and customer service issues that SBI is famous for.

my question is, has any member of this community found any trick or jugaad that can instill fear in the minds of SBI employees into doing their work on time and leave aside the govt job type of vibe?

[end of rant]

narun2001

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Also, my brother works for SBI in a rural branch without much footfall and he has told me multiple times that he gets requests from higher authorities to sell insurance and other products to the people coming to his branch. He was like the people who visit this branch are already mostly laborers and it wouldn't make sense to sell them all these. He told me that he'll generally always say "Sure sir, etc" when instructed but never acts on this since he never gets these orders through official written channels and that they can't communicate these via those channels. Also, they can't penalize him for not selling these since it's not required out of his job anyway. This does explain the systemic problems there. Also, he has highlighted several issues in the software that he has to work on that never gets fixed since TCS charges a bomb for even the smallest of changes in their core banking software and the company doesn't care much about the improvement in efficiency and ease for the people in the clerical cardres. IMO, it's the problem with PSUs who don't compensate the decision makers in the top most roles decently enough like the private banks for someone to come and think about efficiency and customer care. It's no wonder it's the case given the top private banks also have glaring issues in these departments

mrbanker

TF Select
Also, my brother works for SBI in a rural branch without much footfall and he has told me multiple times that he gets requests from higher authorities to sell insurance and other products to the people coming to his branch. He was like the people who visit this branch are already mostly laborers and it wouldn't make sense to sell them all these. He told me that he'll generally always say "Sure sir, etc" when instructed but never acts on this since he never gets these orders through official written channels and that they can't communicate these via those channels. Also, they can't penalize him for not selling these since it's not required out of his job anyway. This does explain the systemic problems there. Also, he has highlighted several issues in the software that he has to work on that never gets fixed since TCS charges a bomb for even the smallest of changes in their core banking software and the company doesn't care much about the improvement in efficiency and ease for the people in the clerical cardres. IMO, it's the problem with PSUs who don't compensate the decision makers in the top most roles decently enough like the private banks for someone to come and think about efficiency and customer care. It's no wonder it's the case given the top private banks also have glaring issues in these departments
Well I did hear about the systemic problems in the structure of the bank's India operations. Usually the ones who are talented enough in the system clear some internal parameters and take off for an international posting(they have operations in more than 30 countries). I met one such officer who had spent 5 years at SBI California as a junior manager and was back in India for the purpose of getting promoted and taking off for another destination. He did tell me that there have always been some good people in the system who eventually get fed up with the top management and quit to make alternate careers. An example he provided was of this founding trustee of Ashoka uni who started out at SBI - https://www.parivartanbihar.org/about-us/our-founder/

Last edited: