• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

Hi,

My personal laptop became unusable and I need a new one ASAP.

Going by personal experience with office Lenovo laptops, I am inclined towards it.
My Budget is <50K inr and usage is typical docs/video watching. Not rigorous programming or t*rren*t downloading.

postponing till Dhasara sales.

Configs I have decided:
Lenovo --> Really have excellent first hand experience with this and I say this is laptop version of Nokia800
RAM --> 16GB
gpu : not needed

Configs open and not yet decided:
cpu : Intel or amd ?

cc : @Abhishek012 @SSV @Arkapal Sen @D₹V @shivamk
Go for Dell laptops. The service of Dell is very good.
If you want more features and power pack laptop in low price then go for Asus.

Go for Dell laptops. The service of Dell is very good.
If you want more features and power pack laptop in low price then go for Asus.
I had the worst experience with DELL . Had one inspiron bought from USA and one in India , both gave too many problems . I am now saying to hell with dell.

Right now , I have made my choice betweer acer or asus on dashara sale. Only thing is should I hoard up all ASVs worth 50K or 15K is the question.

I had the worst experience with DELL . Had one inspiron bought from USA and one in India , both gave too many problems . I am now saying to hell with dell.

Right now , I have made my choice betweer acer or asus on dashara sale. Only thing is should I hoard up all ASVs worth 50K or 15K is the question.
Don't hoard up. CC offers would be there in abundance plus many offers give incremental rewards in sales above 50k

And if you really want to, buy multiple denominations but don't add to account. Add required amount while making your purchase such that you have maxed CC rewards. e.g. if rewards are same above 35k, pay 35.x k using card and add difference amount ASVs on spot.

Last edited:

I've told you already, Dell's not the powerhouse it used to be. Their products have taken a nosedive in quality. Sure, their customer service is still solid, but what's the point when your warranty vanishes after just one year?

And Acer? Don't even think about it. I know those price tags are tempting, and they've been in the game for ages, but that doesn't mean squat. Their stuff is more trouble than it's worth.

If you're serious about getting a decent machine, you've got two real options: HP or ASUS. Take your pick between those two and save yourself a world of frustration.

OK Asus will be my first preference then.
I also forgot to mention that their extended warranties are the cheapest among the competitors, and are sold by themselves through official channels on https://asuspromo.in/

Other companies sell their extended warranty through third-parties and they are tend to be quite expensive. In 2020, I and my cousin both bought 2-year extended warranties (1+2) for ₹999 each from there. And one year extended warranty (1+1) was available for just ₹99 back then. However, it took them over a month to activate it, perhaps because of COVID restrictions back then.

EDIT: The aforementioned link looks like a phishing site at first glance, but it is an official one. You can see the proof here: https://www.asus.com/in/content/anti-fraud-announcement/

Don't hoard up. CC offers would be there in abundance plus many offers give incremental rewards in sales above 50k

And if you really want to, buy multiple denominations but don't add to account. Add required amount while making your purchase such that you have maxed CC rewards. e.g. if rewards are same above 35k, pay 35.x k using card and add difference amount ASVs on spot.
thats what i already said before in comments..asus should be first pick

I am using DELL inspiron 15 laptop since Jan 2020 still no problem at all.
But now it's time to upgrade and my first choice is Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Pro.

I am using DELL inspiron 15 laptop since Jan 2020 still no problem at all.
But now it's time to upgrade and my first choice is Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Pro.
Oh My God Reaction GIF by Friends

1.75 lakhs ?

Nope its 1.35 Lakh
Galaxybook Pro 360 is 1.75 Lakh.

After the Galaxybook all my device will connect seamlessly. Currently my Home Hub is Samsung TV, Samsung Automatic Washing Machine, Galaxy S24 and Samsung AC. All device are controlled via wifi.
Only laptop is missing
Samsung Refrigerator ?

I have it but it's 2014 model so there is no wifi in it. :cautious:
will upgrade it when I feel that it should be upgraded
Better to avoid modern appliances which use jargons like "Inverter," "Smart (Wi-Fi)," etc. Our LG fridge has been working with minimum downtime for over the past 24 years. It required gas refill only once in around 2010.

Modern appliances aren't built to last that long, especially from Korean brands like Samsung and LG. Use it until it fully stops working and is beyond repairable. :D

Better to avoid modern appliances which use jargons like "Inverter," "Smart (Wi-Fi)," etc. Our LG fridge has been working with minimum downtime for over the past 24 years. It required gas refill only once in around 2010.

Modern appliances aren't built to last that long, especially from Korean brands like Samsung and LG. Use it until it fully stops working and is beyond repairable. :D
Appliances are not built to last nowadays, they are built to fail.
Planned obsolescence!

We should have a.separate. discussion on stuff that lasts. Pretty sure there might be a subreddit but most stuff are not found in India.

That's why I am not changing it. Our kelvinator fridge is still working great since 1989 and no gas refill done. But electricity consumption is high so it is being used by my Grand Parents in village.

Limited-time deal: Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12450H 14" (35.5cm) FHD 250 Nits Thin & Light Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Win 11/Office 21/1Yr ADP Free/Alexa built-in/3 mon. Game Pass/Grey/1.37Kg), 83EQ005VIN https://amzn.in/d/9gDz2DY

Everyone kindly check this laptop, this laptop MRP is around 50000 rupees but when I apply my SBI credit card I am getting a discount of around 6000 so it will be costing account 44750 rupees only.
Going by the configuration this laptop net price seems to be too good.
Kindly everyone opine ?

Back