• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

Hi,

My personal laptop became unusable and I need a new one ASAP.

Going by personal experience with office Lenovo laptops, I am inclined towards it.
My Budget is <50K inr and usage is typical docs/video watching. Not rigorous programming or t*rren*t downloading.

postponing till Dhasara sales.

Configs I have decided:
Lenovo --> Really have excellent first hand experience with this and I say this is laptop version of Nokia800
RAM --> 16GB
gpu : not needed

Configs open and not yet decided:
cpu : Intel or amd ?

cc : @Abhishek012 @SSV @Arkapal Sen @D₹V @shivamk
Buy a thinkbook 2023-24 model will cost 28-40k
Or a thinkpad 22-24 model will cost 33-40k for decent configuration. (be careful with display spec)

You will get proper kernel support for linux,
Bios and driver / security updates are guaranteed for next 5 years atleast with windows. (Almost equivalent to mac)

These are the most productive/price effective machines in Windows sphere. Avoid other lenovo except business series.

Reactions: SSV
Sir also suggest which chair to use, as I am also into much sitting hours.
I tried some locally made office chair for sometime but it didn't work..

Then I now use my wooden chair which is part of my dining table set with the following back support that I bought it from amzn, which does wonders...

1723519417434.png

Last edited:
I tried some locally made office chair for sometime but it didn't work..

Then I now use my wooden chair which is part of my dining table set with the following back support that I bought it from amzn, which does wonders...

View attachment 64846
You may refer my answer if you are still looking for one.
And yes, any wooden chair (including dining chair with proper back and seat support is way better than pure plastic. )

Reactions: SSV
And yes, any wooden chair (including dining chair with proper back and seat support is way better than pure plastic. )
Thanks but
I am extremely happy with my dining chair which was made about 10 years ago coupled with back cushion mentioned above

Last edited:
Ergonomics is absolutely subjective.
What's good for one person may not be comfortable to another person with similar build and height.
That's the reason you need to test a few different ways by trial and error and find out what's working best for you.
I know this probably won't work for many students as they have temporary setups and due to budget constraints. But you do need to try out a few things before you buy anything too costly /make a permanent setup.
Don't fall for YT reviews and beautiful pictures.

Ergonomics is absolutely subjective.
What's good for one person may not be comfortable to another person with similar build and height.
That's the reason you need to test a few different ways by trial and error and find out what's working best for you.
I know this probably won't work for many students as they have temporary setups and due to budget constraints. But you do need to try out a few things before you buy anything too costly /make a permanent setup.
Don't fall for YT reviews and beautiful pictures.
I agree.
But why to quote me? for continuity? 🤔

PS: The brands I suggested have hardly any reviews on YT,
YT is filled with GreenSoul, Dr Urban, Sleep Co. etc utter garbage :D

I agree.
But why to quote me? for continuity?

PS: The brands I suggested have hardly any reviews on YT,
YT is filled with GreenSoul, Dr Urban, Sleep Co. etc utter garbage :D
🤔
Yes for continuity. Sorry I should have started by mentioning that.
Agree about the so called 'premium quality' shilling that's going on in FB & YT.
Most stuff you could easily buy of same quality at half that price at any store, online or offline.
It's their money if they want to splurge. In my personal view, it's not sensible buying. And it's not like those 'premium companies' provide any after sales service/support either.

Bhai itni mehangi toh budget se koso bahar hai
+ @Hemang
Buddy, I have suggested chair brand in every segment, Why you are only looking at Miller?
End goal is ergonomics not show off!

Also, Wait for Navratri
Sihoo m18 every year comes around at 7.5k with Amazon coupons

Build quality of M18, is very good.
No Indian brand (Chinese cheap import) can compete with that, though similar design chairs are offered by India brands too.
Sihoo weights almost 1.5 times to any other Indian brand.

Finally, why not give a visit to local carpenter and get a wooden chair?
They are making chairs since decades, they know optimal sitting angel and height. And foam you can customize.

If you are a student then I beg your pardon...

+ @Hemang
Buddy, I have suggested chair brand in every segment, Why you are only looking at Miller?
End goal is ergonomics not show off!
I just gave my feedback about Miller in sarcasm, no harsh feelings whatsoever. For rest it was a good price<>brand match
Also, Wait for Navratri
Sihoo m18 every year comes around at 7.5k with Amazon coupons
Great, will wait and checkout
Finally, why not give a visit to local carpenter and get a wooden chair?
They are making chairs since decades, they know optimal sitting angel and height. And foam you can customize.
Never thought of a wooden chair as office chair. What are the benefits over plastic ones?

I just gave my feedback about Miller in sarcasm, no harsh feelings whatsoever. For rest it was a good price<>brand match

Great, will wait and checkout

Never thought of a wooden chair as office chair. What are the benefits over plastic ones?
Last one, is quite subjective.
I am yet to discover a poorly made wooden chair...

Plastic chairs are hazard (here by plastic I mean complete plastic chair, with no metal part)
Believe me or not chair related injuries are not rare. Hence, Wooden.
Only disadvantage - wooden chair does not revolve (lazy habits)

Last one, is quite subjective.
I am yet to discover a poorly made wooden chair...

Plastic chairs are hazard (here by plastic I mean complete plastic chair, with no metal part)
Believe me or not chair related injuries are not rare. Hence, Wooden.
Only disadvantage - wooden chair does not revolve (lazy habits)
My concern is whether reclining back is a good thing for health or is it also bad?

My concern is whether reclining back is a good thing for health or is it also bad?
You need a firm support for your back in general.. with a little bit of elasticity .. that is the idea behind it.. and you yourself feel whether it is comfortable or not.. your body tells you what is right or wrong!! you need to go along with it..

You need a firm support for your back in general.. with a little bit of elasticity .. that is the idea behind it.. and you yourself feel whether it is comfortable or not.. your body tells you what is right or wrong!! you need to go along with it..
+ zillion

This is exactly what doctors and physiotherapists say, back needs lumber support. Just see what advice one gets for a back pain? sleep on a flat wooden bed.

Back