• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

Limited-time deal: Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12450H 14" (35.5cm) FHD 250 Nits Thin & Light Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Win 11/Office 21/1Yr ADP Free/Alexa built-in/3 mon. Game Pass/Grey/1.37Kg), 83EQ005VIN https://amzn.in/d/9gDz2DY

Everyone kindly check this laptop, this laptop MRP is around 50000 rupees but when I apply my SBI credit card I am getting a discount of around 6000 so it will be costing account 44750 rupees only.
Going by the configuration this laptop net price seems to be too good.
Kindly everyone opine ?
Decent specifications for the price, but beware of the IdeaPad series. You may not have a decent experience after a few months or so. As I mentioned previously, only the ThinkPad series is worth the buy if you insist on buying a Lenovo.

Decent specifications for the price, but beware of the IdeaPad series. You may not have a decent experience after a few months or so. As I mentioned previously, only the ThinkPad series is worth the buy if you insist on buying a Lenovo.
That is what I was thinking there must be some catch in this deal because this specification is very higher than the price at which it is being offered to us.

Limited-time deal: Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3 12th Gen Intel Core i5-12450H 14" (35.5cm) FHD 250 Nits Thin & Light Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Win 11/Office 21/1Yr ADP Free/Alexa built-in/3 mon. Game Pass/Grey/1.37Kg), 83EQ005VIN https://amzn.in/d/9gDz2DY

Everyone kindly check this laptop, this laptop MRP is around 50000 rupees but when I apply my SBI credit card I am getting a discount of around 6000 so it will be costing account 44750 rupees only.
Going by the configuration this laptop net price seems to be too good.
Kindly everyone opine ?
IdeaPad build quality is too bad

Anyone kindly suggest a laptop which is having same configuration as this Idea pad but is not Idea pad.
Look at my ideapad thin series that I bought it for 29K i3 model in 2022. I upgraded RAM to 20gb.
Soldered one was 4gb, added 16gb stick to it.
And replaced wifi card to AX200 ie wifi 6 compatable..
Set up with dual monitor.
Going butter butter smooth.
Really flying high in performance with regard to daily tasks..
I get 500 mbps download speed for my wifi also ( full 100% almost) ..
It all depends upon what do you use this laptop for..
Quite a few of us , over spec our laptops that we never use it for...

You need to right size it.

I am 100% sure that I will use my laptop for another 8 years..

1723490181943.png

Even if you move also, you need to take care.
Laptops are not meant for throwing here and there.

Electronic items depreciate quite quickly.
So never waste spending too much money.
Just size them right to suit your needs for the upcoming 5 to 6 years.. that's enough..

If your needs are for heavy duty then fine go for the beasts.

Last edited:
Look at my ideapad thin series that I bought it for 29K i3 model in 2022. I upgraded RAM to 20gb.
Soldered one is 4gb, added 16gb stick to it.
Amd replaced wifi card to ax200 ie wifi 6 compatable..
Set up with dual monitor.
Going butter butter smooth.
Really butter smooth in performance with regard to daily tasks..
I get 500 mbps download speed for my wifi also ( full 100% almost) ..
It all depends upon what do you use this laptop for..
Quite a few of us , over spec our laptops that we never use it for...

You need to right size it.

I am 100% sure that I will use my laptop for another 8 years..

View attachment 64827

Even if you move also, you need to take care.
Laptops are not meant for throwing here and there.

Electronic items depreciate quite quickly.
So never waste spending too much money.
Just size them right to suit your needs for the upcoming 5 to 6 years.. that's enough..

If your needs are for heavy duty then fine go for the beasts.
IdeaPad keyboard is also fragile. A lot of problems regarding usage are not evident to you because of two reasons:
1. Responsible usage
2. External setup for everything. You are just using the processing power of laptop currently.

In such cases a stand alone desktop setup is more advisable if it's gonna be stationary always

Last edited:
In such cases a stand alone desktop setup is more advisable.
I want occasional portability also.. plus this will be super light weight.. Ideapad is cheap and best for my use case ..

See, in this modern world WFH setup , we need thinking about a semi offcei table type setup at home, escpecially for those who spend a lot of time on the system,.. otherwise a lot of health problems will occut in future..

Last edited:
I want occasional protability also.. plus this will be super light weight.. Ideapad is cheap and best for my use case ..
Yeah I get that but the one who wants to use laptop as a laptop, IdeaPad is not meant for them.

I have seen issues with a lot of my friend's ideapads as well. All because of build quality

Yeah I get that but the one who wants to use laptop as a laptop, IdeaPad is not meant for them.

I have seen issues with a lot of my friend's ideapads as well. All because of build quality
Please read my above comment.. if people are spending too much time on laptop as a prefessional, they need to think about a permanent office kind of set up with proper table and chair at home.. when this happens , it is better to have my kind of set up to protect, your back, eyes, hands, fingers etc...

See, in this modern world WFH setup , we need thinking about a semi offcei table type setup at home, escpecially for those who spend a lot of time on the system,.. otherwise a lot of health problems will occut in future..
Agreed, a right setup can help save from unnecessary health problems, plus it boosts efficiency

Reactions: SSV
Please read my above comment.. if people are spending too much time on laptop as a prefessional, they need to think about a permanent office kind of set up with proper table and chair at home.. when this happens , it is better to have my kind of set up to protect, your back, eyes, hands, fingers etc...
I get your point and I am aligned as well, but consider the case of students. It's not entirely possible for students to have a dedicated setup due to many reasons, difficulties in porting while switch hostels, cost etc etc.

In such cases the laptop would be used as a laptop and we need a durable one in such a case

Agreed, a right setup can help save from unnecessary health problems, plus it boosts efficiency
exactly,, people should never work sitting on sofas, beds etc for a long time.. for a very small time it is okay..

I will give you one simple example: I clocked almost 18K messages in TF along with my other usual work, in the last 15 months or so...
this was possible only because I have proper compter setup.. which has right chair , table, monitors etc..
This is where improving productivity comes into the picture as you said before... On top of it, it protects our health as well in the long run...

on the other day someone asked me if I wear glasses .. I said NO. because I take care of my eyes, hands,finger, back etc with proper tools and set up..

This is very important for most of us.. I am sure I am older than you guys but if you guys keep doing what you are are doing right now, you will definitley have some health problems in future... take care..

Last edited:
I get your point and I am aligned as well, but consider the case of students. It's not entirely possible for students to have a dedicated setup due to many reasons, difficulties in porting while switch hostels, cost etc etc.

In such cases the laptop would be used as a laptop and we need a durable one in such a case
yes, I agree with you with regard to Students, who have no provision for a set up like me..

Still within whatever is available , you need to look for better comfortable position / set up , especially for those who spend 12 hours a day on the laptop...
When we are young , we dont see all these aspects, but the eariler we know about this the better it is for our health and wealth ...

I completely agree with you about getting a strongly built laptop.. it is preferable definitely.. but I am also talking about right sizing...
Get the main components a bit furture proof, all other bells and whistles can be compromised / upgraded later... It is all about striking the right balance among specs , price and our usage purposes..

Last edited:
Sir also suggest which chair to use, as I am also into much sitting hours.

Reactions: SSV
Back