• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Mis-selling Credit Cards Is the New Normal

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
The number of credit card users in the country has boomed exponentially over the last few years, and with it, so have cases of mis-selling credit cards. One of the most common tricks is when bank employees promise you a lifetime free credit card, but you end up getting a paid one instead. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg—if you dig a little deeper, you'll see there are several sneaky tactics bank employees use to push credit cards or other banking products onto customers.

Let's explore some common ways bank employees mis-sell products:
  1. False promises of lifetime free cards: Bank employees contact customers and promise a lifetime free (LTF) credit card. After approval, the customer finds out they've been issued a paid credit card.
  2. High variant card with account opening: Employees promise a higher variant credit card for free (LTF) but ask the customer to open a higher variant bank account with a high initial deposit. Sometimes, they even suggest opening similar accounts for family members and creating a "family banking" group.
  3. Credit limit linked to account opening: Employees promise a high credit limit on the credit card, but only if the customer opens a higher variant bank account and maintains a large balance for a while.
  4. Linking investments to credit card approval: Employees ask customers to invest in ULIPs or other insurance products in exchange for credit card approval or an upgrade.
These are just a few examples of common mis-selling tactics, and while they aren't new, many customers still fall victim to them every day.

Key things every banking customer should know:
  1. Bank employees cannot approve your credit card. Banks have dedicated underwriting teams that assess your credit profile and make decisions.
  2. WhatsApp chats or phone call recordings are not valid proof. If a banker promises you something like a lifetime free credit card, ensure you get it in writing via email from their official email ID.
  3. In most cases, opening a bank account or maintaining a high balance does not affect your credit card approval process. If a bank employee insists on this, ask for confirmation in writing via email. In 99.99% of cases, they won't be able to provide this because it's not true.
Yes, bank employees can sometimes help with credit card approvals or limit enhancements based on your banking relationship, but you don't need to appease them, buy ULIPs, or purchase unnecessary insurance policies. If you're not getting assistance from a bank employee, directly email your bank. Never buy useless policies and fall prey to mis-selling.

My personal experience: In 2020, HDFC Bank upgraded my credit card from Regalia First to Regalia and eventually to Infinia, with a limit increase from ₹1 lakh to ₹10.13 lakh. I was a "Classic Banking" customer at the time and later upgraded to "Imperia Banking", but I haven't received any limit enhancement offers since. On the other hand, I had a Pioneer relationship with IndusInd Bank, requested a lifetime free Heritage Metal Card, and they approved it even though my balance was lower than required for pioneer. Similarly, YES Bank upgraded my credit card from YES First Exclusive to YES Private based on my overall net worth, while I maintained a zero-balance account with them.

What to do if you've become a victim of mis-selling:
  1. Raise a complaint with the bank's grievance redressal team.
  2. If the issue isn't resolved within 30 days, escalate the matter to the RBI Banking Ombudsman.
Banks will often try to deny that mis-selling occurred, claiming you applied for the credit card voluntarily or signed the terms and conditions. Unfortunately, since WhatsApp chats and call recordings aren’t valid proof, and no bank employee will provide such promises in writing, it becomes challenging to provide evidence. In most cases, RBI sides with the banks due to the lack of proof.

What we can do: We can raise awareness by sharing such experiences on social media and informing other customers to help them avoid these traps.

Here are a few real cases I found in the "Banking Complaint" section of the TF Community. If you dig deeper, you’ll find countless similar cases with every bank:
  1. RBL Card Mis-Selling by Branch Staff
  2. RBL ShopRite Card Mis-Selling - Need Help
  3. Kotak Mis-Selling, RBI Ombudsman
  4. AUSFB - Credit Card Mis-Selling by Branch Employee
  5. Standard Chartered Bank Mis-Sold Savings Account and Credit Card
  6. HDFC Bank Mis-Selling Insurance Policies in Exchange for Infinia Credit Card
  7. HDFC Mis-Selling SWIGGY HDFC Credit Card
  8. Mis-Selling SBI Card Through BankBazaar
There are endless cases of mis-selling.
But why do bank employees mis-sell products? It's usually due to the pressure of meeting sales targets or the high commissions they receive for selling certain products. It's your responsibility not to fall into these traps.

I've seen many people get emotionally attached to their bankers. While it's not a bad thing to be kind, based on my experience, you should be cautious with your banker. They work for their bank and focus on earning money for the bank. They generally don't care much about your financial well-being or interests.
I've mentioned this before: Relationship Managers (RMs) are assigned to you by banks to generate profit. They're not qualified investment bankers, just sales agents who speak good English and are skilled in sales tactics. Have you ever seen a bank assign an RM to a lower-tier account? No, because they know that if you don't maintain a significant balance, it wouldn't be worth their time.

Such an insightful thread! I've been approached by several folks at the bank trying to arm-twist me to invest in some crappy policies in order to help me get my favourite credit cards but being an active member here, I keep my investments and credit cards(passion) separate and deny them every time.

A good credit card might take you places but a good investment plan will definitely take you places!
Never mix both. 🙂

Recently I've had 2 such encounters

1) Applied for an Elite+ LTF from yes, approved with higher card RESERV, paid. Got the card, won't activate the card, will keep it in my card collection only (something should come out of a wasted cibil enquiry)

2) approached idfc BM as well as RM for select account. when approached they said it would be instantly raised for select account, once I deposit 3 lakhs. It's been weeks.. they say it will be raised soon.

Recently I've had 2 such encounters

1) Applied for an Elite+ LTF from yes, approved with higher card RESERV, paid. Got the card, won't activate the card, will keep it in my card collection only (something should come out of a wasted cibil enquiry)

2) approached idfc BM as well as RM for select account. when approached they said it would be instantly raised for select account, once I deposit 3 lakhs. It's been weeks.. they say it will be raised soon.
When I raised the complaint to yes bank regarding mis selling, they replied it is the customers mistake.

Attaching the screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-10-08-15-47-35-503_com.google.android.gm.webp
    Screenshot_2024-10-08-15-47-35-503_com.google.android.gm.webp
    118.1 KB · Views: 56
3-4 days back, I got a call from IDFC bank, saying I have pre-approved credit card offers. I said I need FIRST WOW CC, and he said "ha ban jayega". Now that my application is completed and Vkyc is done, I get an email stating that my IDFC FIRST 'Select' Credit Card application has been approved. :/

I do not plan on accepting the credit card courier. I have already emailed IDFC First Bank and explained the situation to them. I have also provided them with screenshots of the WhatsApp chat. Let's see how it goes. I will share responses if anyone is interested.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Chat screenshots:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241008-134817_WhatsApp.webp
    Screenshot_20241008-134817_WhatsApp.webp
    105.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20241008-134839_WhatsApp.webp
    Screenshot_20241008-134839_WhatsApp.webp
    107.9 KB · Views: 36
3-4 days back, I got a call from IDFC bank, saying I have pre-approved credit card offers. I said I need FIRST WOW CC, and he said "ha ban jayega". Now that my application is completed and Vkyc is done, I get an email stating that my IDFC FIRST 'Select' Credit Card application has been approved. :/

I do not plan on accepting the credit card courier. I have already emailed IDFC First Bank and explained the situation to them. I have also provided them with screenshots of the WhatsApp chat. Let's see how it goes. I will share responses if anyone is interested.

Chat screenshots:
Wow card is a Secured card against FD it cannot be issued without FD
And It is LTF as it's a Secured Card

You can easily get it From IDFC website directly in approx 30 min easily

Chat screenshots:
Select LTF hai na? If it's LTF take it.. As, once you get a WOW card it gets difficult to get another core card, from my experience.

If the select is LTF, keep it and write to the CC team for confirmation of LTF status.

Then you open the idfc bank app(if you have an account) then apply for a wow card from the app. Anybody can get a wow card. Only lucky people gets other cards.

Chat screenshots:
Lol they gave you a better card than you asked for.

Select LTF hai na? If it's LTF take it.. As, once you get a WOW card it gets difficult to get another core card, from my experience.

If the select is LTF, keep it and write to the CC team for confirmation of LTF status.

Then you open the idfc bank app(if you have an account) then apply for a wow card from the app. Anybody can get a wow card. Only lucky people gets other cards.
Yes IDFC Select is always LTF for everyone.

Wow card is a Secured card against FD it cannot be issued without FD
And It is LTF as it's a Secured Card

You can easily get it From IDFC website directly in approx 30 min easily
I don't want to create an FD for a credit card

It is LTF. I checked it in the application PDF.

Lol they gave you a better card than you asked for.
I want a zero forex lifetime free credit card. That was my only purpose with the wow cc xD Otherwise, I would have gone for the wealth credit card.

I understand your concerns. However, each product has specific requirements and benefits. The Wow Card is based on fixed deposits (FD), which means the bank cannot issue it unless the necessary conditions are met.
Additionally, the bank agent should have clearly communicated that the Wow Card cannot be issued without an FD, rather than issuing a different card.

The number of credit card users in the country has boomed exponentially over the last few years, and with it, so have cases of mis-selling credit cards. One of the most common tricks is when bank employees promise you a lifetime free credit card, but you end up getting a paid one instead. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg—if you dig a little deeper, you'll see there are several sneaky tactics bank employees use to push credit cards or other banking products onto customers.

Let's explore some common ways bank employees mis-sell products:
  1. False promises of lifetime free cards: Bank employees contact customers and promise a lifetime free (LTF) credit card. After approval, the customer finds out they've been issued a paid credit card.
  2. High variant card with account opening: Employees promise a higher variant credit card for free (LTF) but ask the customer to open a higher variant bank account with a high initial deposit. Sometimes, they even suggest opening similar accounts for family members and creating a "family banking" group.
  3. Credit limit linked to account opening: Employees promise a high credit limit on the credit card, but only if the customer opens a higher variant bank account and maintains a large balance for a while.
  4. Linking investments to credit card approval: Employees ask customers to invest in ULIPs or other insurance products in exchange for credit card approval or an upgrade.
These are just a few examples of common mis-selling tactics, and while they aren't new, many customers still fall victim to them every day.

Key things every banking customer should know:
  1. Bank employees cannot approve your credit card. Banks have dedicated underwriting teams that assess your credit profile and make decisions.
  2. WhatsApp chats or phone call recordings are not valid proof. If a banker promises you something like a lifetime free credit card, ensure you get it in writing via email from their official email ID.
  3. In most cases, opening a bank account or maintaining a high balance does not affect your credit card approval process. If a bank employee insists on this, ask for confirmation in writing via email. In 99.99% of cases, they won't be able to provide this because it's not true.
Yes, bank employees can sometimes help with credit card approvals or limit enhancements based on your banking relationship, but you don't need to appease them, buy ULIPs, or purchase unnecessary insurance policies. If you're not getting assistance from a bank employee, directly email your bank. Never buy useless policies and fall prey to mis-selling.

My personal experience: In 2020, HDFC Bank upgraded my credit card from Regalia First to Regalia and eventually to Infinia, with a limit increase from ₹1 lakh to ₹10.13 lakh. I was a "Classic Banking" customer at the time and later upgraded to "Imperia Banking", but I haven't received any limit enhancement offers since. On the other hand, I had a Pioneer relationship with IndusInd Bank, requested a lifetime free Heritage Metal Card, and they approved it even though my balance was lower than required for pioneer. Similarly, YES Bank upgraded my credit card from YES First Exclusive to YES Private based on my overall net worth, while I maintained a zero-balance account with them.

What to do if you've become a victim of mis-selling:
  1. Raise a complaint with the bank's grievance redressal team.
  2. If the issue isn't resolved within 30 days, escalate the matter to the RBI Banking Ombudsman.
Banks will often try to deny that mis-selling occurred, claiming you applied for the credit card voluntarily or signed the terms and conditions. Unfortunately, since WhatsApp chats and call recordings aren’t valid proof, and no bank employee will provide such promises in writing, it becomes challenging to provide evidence. In most cases, RBI sides with the banks due to the lack of proof.

What we can do: We can raise awareness by sharing such experiences on social media and informing other customers to help them avoid these traps.

Here are a few real cases I found in the "Banking Complaint" section of the TF Community. If you dig deeper, you’ll find countless similar cases with every bank:
  1. RBL Card Mis-Selling by Branch Staff
  2. RBL ShopRite Card Mis-Selling - Need Help
  3. Kotak Mis-Selling, RBI Ombudsman
  4. AUSFB - Credit Card Mis-Selling by Branch Employee
  5. Standard Chartered Bank Mis-Sold Savings Account and Credit Card
  6. HDFC Bank Mis-Selling Insurance Policies in Exchange for Infinia Credit Card
  7. HDFC Mis-Selling SWIGGY HDFC Credit Card
  8. Mis-Selling SBI Card Through BankBazaar
There are endless cases of mis-selling.
But why do bank employees mis-sell products? It's usually due to the pressure of meeting sales targets or the high commissions they receive for selling certain products. It's your responsibility not to fall into these traps.

I've seen many people get emotionally attached to their bankers. While it's not a bad thing to be kind, based on my experience, you should be cautious with your banker. They work for their bank and focus on earning money for the bank. They generally don't care much about your financial well-being or interests.
I've mentioned this before: Relationship Managers (RMs) are assigned to you by banks to generate profit. They're not qualified investment bankers, just sales agents who speak good English and are skilled in sales tactics. Have you ever seen a bank assign an RM to a lower-tier account? No, because they know that if you don't maintain a significant balance, it wouldn't be worth their time.
You will be declared the Jesus of credit card world ....
Fighting the wrong and making them pay (through RBI Ombudsman) ...
Keep doing the good work.
We love the content.
One day you will be hired by a leading bank as customer service chief of staff.

Wow card is a FD only card. Without FD you can't get it, simple.

Also the person you interacted with is not a bank employee. He is a third party agent selling CCs for commission.

Activate Select and keep it. Much better card.

Investment Vincent Donofrio GIF by Sony Pictures

Remember golden rule: Nothing comes free in this world.

Money Guy GIF by Team Kennedy

It is LTF. I checked it in the application PDF.

I want a zero forex lifetime free credit card. That was my only purpose with the wow cc xD Otherwise, I would have gone for the wealth credit card.
For free forex transactions you may try Niyo App. I have used it in my last trip. No issues whatsoever. They have started SBM credit cards again. But again its an FD-based CC.

For free forex transactions you may try Niyo App. I have used it in my last trip. No issues whatsoever. They have started SBM credit cards again. But again its an FD-based CC.

: )

People need to remember, the bank is NOT your friend. They're there to MAKE money.

Nobody at the bank is giving you free stuff, it's just incentives for you to make money for them.

People need to remember, the bank is NOT your friend. They're there to MAKE money.

Nobody at the bank is giving you free stuff, it's just incentives for you to make money for them.
THIS! Bank is basically just a business too.
They make a lot of money and if they do, they might pass on a little bit of that in terms of perks to you.

But obviously, their primary goal is to make a lot more money!

Back