• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NEW American express Platinum charge Fees and Benefits

Waiting to be underwhelmed

All these fat salaries to Top IIM graduates as product managers and yet not able to crack the affluent segment even after all these years
++ a lot of scope for improvements are there in Plat Travel. Idk what are they trying to achieve.

This was kind of expected since AmEx has been pushing this card so hard over the last few months.

New benefits should come in very handy, while the extra fees could push a small percentage of users away!

Hyatt, ITC, Accor might be on cards and Netflix?
Hyatt will be a brilliant addition.

I hope it doesn’t end up becoming like Marriott Gold Elite though.

Explorer nights in the account will be a nice touch, albeit too greedy.

A replacement for Shangri-La was some time coming.

The eligibility says "I have a good credit history and no payment defaults".
I have missed a payment once to a SBI card, does it make it ineligible?

I'm still waiting for them to bring actual value to the particular card except the joining bonus
Not exactly true. This card is a lifestyle card. It fasttracks you to quite a few loylaty programs like Hiltons, Marriott etc.

The main thing is that its for people who spend a lot. It is a charge card, so the limits on it are usually way higher than what Indian banks can offer. The highest that Indian banks offer is usually around 50L to 1cr, that too only after being their private banking customer. It can be of immense value if you are the target customer.

With this, people who can be in Private banking and all, who earn a lot, can definitely get a limit in crores, like 4 to 5Cr easily. Also, the Amex concierge does a better job than most if not all card issuers in India. HDFC Concierge for DCB & Infinia is good tho, don't have PC in India, my dad used to have this in the US, but closed it when we shifted back to India.

The Plat Charge in India is certainly a way watered down version of the US one, even after being more expensive here.

Last edited:
If the FCY charges are reduced, it would be good.

For a premium card, these charges are too high, though it is partly compensated by higher rewards for overseas transactions.

Like I said, referrals is the only way to make money on Amex cards.

Actually using the cards to earn points will not get you even 1 week stay at a city centre Marriott hotel at a popular tourist destination.
But you can settle for Amazon pay at 33 paisa conversion value (Gold collection)

Back