• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Schengen Visa question: Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me visa?

magnusfan

TF Buzz
How was the experience finally for the thread opener?

My 1 year Schengen visa expired last month and need to travel again. My meeting was in Austria and I applied for the Austria visa and received... but the meeting got changed to Germany..

I hope it's ok to directly land in Frankfurt rather than Vienna ?

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

My 1 year Schengen visa expired last month and need to travel again. My meeting was in Austria and I applied for the Austria visa and received... but the meeting got changed to Germany..

Lately I have been hearing a few cases of boarding denied for change in plans specially for people whose plan is to skip the issuing country altogether.

Having said that, Entry and Exit points don't matter. What matters is where u stay for most time, as that's where u would be applying visa for. I applied for Swiss visa with entry at France and exit at Germany, as that's the most number of days as per my itinerary.

So, as long as u show them (hotel/train bookings) that u will stay in that country in ur itinerary, it's safe.

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Lately I have been hearing a few cases of boarding denied for change in plans specially for people whose plan is to skip the issuing country altogether.

Having said that, Entry and Exit points don't matter. What matters is where u stay for most time, as that's where u would be applying visa for. I applied for Swiss visa with entry at France and exit at Germany, as that's the most number of days as per my itinerary.

So, as long as u show them (hotel/train bookings) that u will stay in that country in ur itinerary, it's safe.
Even i feel the same that Entry and Exit is not important as long as you spend your maximum time in the Schengen Visa issuing country.

During my travel, even i didn't face any issue with Entry in Schiphol and Exit from Zurich while Visa was issued by Germany as most of my days were spent in Dusseldorf and Munich.

Pollex

TF Premier
Entry won’t be a problem.

but if you reapply for Schengen from the same country which you skipped, they might deny you a visa for next time.

I have heard this a lot, but how will they know if u skipped? Stamp is only at entry and exit. They won't know anything in between.
You may be not aware of one thing.

When you stay in a hotel, you will also pay a per-night stay-tax (by whatever name they call it) which will be deposited by that hotel to that city/country authorities along with your passport details.

Such data will be collated n pulled up when processing your visa next time. Any unwanted triggering will result in visa getting declined.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

When you stay in a hotel, you will also pay a per-night stay-tax (by whatever name they call it) which will be deposited by that hotel to that city/country authorities along with your passport details.

Such data will be collated n pulled up when processing your visa next time. Any unwanted triggering will result in visa getting declined.
I knew about city tax. But wasn't aware that they will use that data 🤦‍♂️.

That's good then. Otherwise difficult to explain them. Will have to carry old travel documents alongside 😅.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Which countries are you talking about. Certainly not applicable to all.

Which countries are you talking about. Certainly not applicable to all.
I visited 11 countries besides Malta. I paid so in all these countries.

If you know better, please give a list of those countries which charge and which do not.

Your answer/comment should help that guy who is seeking info n guidance. Please do so, if you have the relevant data.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I visited 11 countries besides Malta. I paid so in all these countries.

If you know better, please give a list of those countries which charge and which do not.

Your answer/comment should help that guy who is seeking info n guidance. Please do so, if you have the relevant data.
Was talking about passport being reported to authorities and then used for future visa decisions not about taxes and charges. I don’t think original post or any of the previous post was asking anything related to charges.

Was talking about passport being reported to authorities and then used for future visa decisions not about taxes and charges. I don’t think original post or any of the previous post was asking anything related to charges.
READ Post # 65.

My reply was for that.

Again read # 65 n my reply.

If you still can't link them, I can't help you.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
READ Post # 65.

My reply was for that.

Again read # 65 n my reply.

If you still can't link them, I can't help you.
Yes you can’t. I don’t doubt you. You didn’t help the conversation much either. You just generalised if all hotels are asking for passport and are charging fees/taxes , so all of that info will be reported to authorities and all that info will be used for future visa purposes and that happens in all countries.

I remember you making these generalised statements before as well. You made one that bank details will be required for itr from fy25. But when I said it’s already required in itr. So said something similar as your response now.

But anyways you’re much elder to me, so excuse me if anything was out of line.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace

Suggest you land in Austria and take a train to Germany(preferably one of the overnight sleepers). Or make sure to have a dummy itinerary with all the travel and accommodation-related bookings ready for Austria when you land in Germany to avoid any troubles.
Or you could explain everything by writing to their embassy regarding your particular situation. I'm sure they would be accommodative since it is a genuine reason.

If you apply to a particular Schenegan country and skip that country, they will not look favourably at your application the next time you apply for a visa with that same Schenegan country. So in your case, if you skip Denmark, don't apply through Denmark the next time. Nothing too serious so don't worry too much about it. Many people have done this in the past to get their visas easily through a different Schengan member country.
How will someone know if one has visited a particular country or not? Passport check happens only at first port of entry and exit. Even if I got a visa from Denmark but haven't used their port, how will Denmark know if I entered them or not.

Asking as I am planning to apply my visa from another country (not from the one I am going), as the country I am going doesn't have appointment slot. Regarding city tax their might be a situation, wherein I would have stayed at friends place.

Knowing some of the EU country, I am sure most of these data will just be their in some files of police stations

Last edited:
How will someone know if one has visited a particular country or not? Passport check happens only at first port of entry and exit. Even if I got a visa from Denmark but haven't used their port, how will Denmark know if I entered them or not.

Asking as I am planning to apply my visa from another country (not from the one I am going), as the country I am going doesn't have appointment slot. Regarding city tax their might be a situation, wherein I would have stayed at friends place.

Knowing some of the EU country, I am sure most of these data will just be their in some files of police stations

NEVER DO THAT SORT OF THING. Any such unwanted acts triggers red flag and you may not get Schengen visa again.

As per the visa issue guidelines, you MUST apply to only that country in which you would be spending maximum number of night stays. DO NOT THINK THEY ARE DUMB GUYS AND YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH SUCH MIS-ADVENTURES.

Read my post # 66 above.

NEVER DO THAT SORT OF THING. Any such unwanted acts triggers red flag and you may not get Schengen visa again.

As per the visa issue guidelines, you MUST apply to only that country in which you would be spending maximum number of night stays. DO NOT THINK THEY ARE DUMB GUYS AND YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH SUCH MIS-ADVENTURES.

Read my post # 66 above.
Would have not done this but there is no option available for me. I have a function to attend in one country and that country doesn't have appoitment availability till the time I want to fly.

Will go to the country where I am applying just for a day for records and will also make booking of travel and stay to show maximum number of nights

If you plan to stay with your friend, he should sponsor you and your expenses thereat. Without his sponsorship, your application will not be taken up. Be careful and go thru all those related rules. DO NOT BLINDLY FOLLOW WHAT A TRAVEL AGENT SAY ON THIS. The authoruties are very strict n clear on these rules.

Without someone sponsoring you, you need to submit confirmed hotel bookings to show that you will stay in their country for max days/nights.

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Read my post # 66 above.
Even I agree with this.... Why to take such unnecessary risk and endanger future prospects of Visa approval. Everything is digitalised and if such discrepancies get highlighted by any way, then it will definitely impact the future visa approval.

Just because we have the option of visiting any Schengen territory with a Schengen Visa doesn't imply we exploit or misuse this flexibility