• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Schengen Visa question: Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me visa?

stallion

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi Folks,
Needed an answer to this. Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me Schengen? In my case, I have a Denmark Schengen visa but landing in Austria (I have all travel & stay documents to show that I’m traveling to Denmark the day after landing in Austria)

Anyone who has faced this situation and can throw some light ?

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi Folks,
Needed an answer to this. Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me Schengen? In my case, I have a Denmark Schengen visa but landing in Austria (I have all travel & stay documents to show that I’m traveling to Denmark the day after landing in Austria)

Absolutely yes because Schengen entry clearance happens at port of first entry irrespective of which Schengen country issued visa. Just show your forward connection if asked.

Ankur dhanda

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi Folks,

it should be a multiple entry visa , then no issues

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi Folks,

You can do this. Even if you stay one day extra in Austria, they aren't gonna bother but it is usually recommended to follow the itinerary submitted during visa application.

It doesn't need to be a multi entry visa unless you're leaving Schengen area and coming back again. Consider Schengen like India..You are landing in Bombay but going to Delhi.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Hi Folks,

Not an issue. Obtaining Schenegan gives access to all 26 member states. Go ahead with your itinerary. It won't matter even if you don't enter Denmark, but it may raise a red flag the next time you apply for a Schengen visa.

stallion

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Not an issue. Obtaining Schenegan gives access to all 26 member states. Go ahead with your itinerary. It won't matter even if you don't enter Denmark, but it may raise a red flag the next time you apply for a Schengen visa.
Can you pls explain more about this red flag ? Does it mean they can reject future schengen visas if I dont entern Denmark at all ? Asking as I dont intend to go to Denmark.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Can you pls explain more about this red flag ? Does it mean they can reject future schengen visas if I dont entern Denmark at all ? Asking as I dont intend to go to Denmark.
You don't have to worry anything. If asked in immigration, show your onward connection to destination country and stay proof as well.

SM24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My understanding after reading posts online and visiting Schengen area multiple times...

Normally you should take your visa from

1. The Schengen country where you would stay the longest, if it is a multi country visit.
or
2. From the Schengen country which will be your port of entry, in case you plan to stay equal number of days in all countries.

In case you don't enter or visit the Schengen country which gave you your visa, then

Next time you go to them for visa, they may not give you visa again or they may not bother.

My wife and me planned to visit Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria and Germany.
We got our visas from Czech consulate.

Later my sister in law wanted to join us, late in the day.

I had heard of the French consulate issuing visas quickly.
She got her visa from the French consulate in under 48 hours.

She joined us on our itinerary.
She didnt visit France.

She hasn't visited Schengen area again.
In case she chooses to in the future and approaches the French consulate again, that's when we'll know !

Hope this helps.

Cheers !
S&M

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
If you apply to a particular Schenegan country and skip that country, they will not look favourably at your application the next time you apply for a visa with that same Schenegan country. So in your case, if you skip Denmark, don't apply through Denmark the next time. Nothing too serious so don't worry too much about it. Many people have done this in the past to get their visas easily through a different Schengan member country.

My understanding after reading posts online and visiting Schengen area multiple times...

Normally you should take your visa from

1. The Schengen country where you would stay the longest, if it is a multi country visit.
or
2. From the Schengen country which will be your port of entry, in case you plan to stay equal number of days in all countries.

In case you don't enter or visit the Schengen country which gave you your visa, then

Next time you go to them for visa, they may not give you visa again or they may not bother.

My wife and me planned to visit Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria and Germany.
We got our visas from Czech consulate.

Later my sister in law wanted to join us, late in the day.

I had heard of the French consulate issuing visas quickly.
She got her visa from the French consulate in under 48 hours.

She joined us on our itinerary.
She didnt visit France.

She hasn't visited Schengen area again.
In case she chooses to in the future and approaches the French consulate again, that's when we'll know !

Hope this helps.

Cheers !
S&M
that's why i suggested him to make up something that due to xyz reason trip was called off but the intention was to visit applied country.

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If you apply to a particular Schenegan country and skip that country, they will not look favourably at your application the next time you apply for a visa with that same Schenegan country. So in your case, if you skip Denmark, don't apply through Denmark the next time. Nothing too serious so don't worry too much about it. Many people have done this in the past to get their visas easily through a different Schengan member country.
And why do these shady things. These are reasons why EU rejects so many indian visas.

You should apply to visa to one of the countries you are visiting only. Anyhow you will have to show hotel and flight tickets (or will those also going to be made up ones). I feel in foreign countries always better to be at the right side of the law

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
And why do these shady things. These are reasons why EU rejects so many indian visas.

You should apply to visa to one of the countries you are visiting only. Anyhow you will have to show hotel and flight tickets (or will those also going to be made up ones). I feel in foreign countries always better to be at the right side of the law
But you can't really blame them. Sometimes their visas get rejected for no reason. Read the following

Schengen Countries Accused of “Mercilessly” Refusing Schengen Visas With France & Spain Accounting For Half of Rejections in 2022

Last edited:

vinrey287

TF Premier
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Planning for France and Belgium from UK. Anyone knows how to apply for Schengen visa if already having UK visa?