• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Suggest a 16gb Ram stick for this laptop

Sourabh_13

TF Premier

look into this one, try to buy on app, there is some tap and win discount which is available only on mobile.

As per desidime, this one has extra m.2 slot too for storage expansion and it mentions upgrade till 40GB, which means the SODIMM slot can take 32GB, but that would disable dual channel. Still 16GB should be more than sufficient for the kind of usage you described.

As far as memory going bad, that's not a concern anymore, at least in the last half a decade. But yeah, replacing a soldered ram is not ideal even with the manufacturer warranty. But I would again point that in modern computers, memory failure rate is very very small, almost negligible.

As far as isolating the bad ram goes, it's complicated. So if you want to isolate the whole ram, then you would need some wizard level desoldering and soldering skills, also you need to have a unit which is sold in millions all around the globe, so chances of finding a manual on board repair is easy. Since the soldered slot is slot 0, you would always need it. But with skills, maybe you are able to connect the slot 1 to slot 0.

But usually every modern (linux and windows, no idea about mac), allow you to isolate bad areas of a ram module. So you can find and isolate bad areas of the ram in slot zero, which will bring the total available ram lower but would stop causing an issue. https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/how-to-block-out-or-map-out-bad-ram-in-windows/ this is kinda old but last note is from 2022.

At the end, if your concern is soldered ram going bad, then you need to step out of thin and light, maybe look into under 55k gaming laptops, those usually have enough space and thus easy to find non soldered ram slots.
Thank you !

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
a. DELL Vostro and Inspiron i5-1335U processor laptops have DDR5 soldered RAMs (4800 MT/s). These laptops do not have another slot of adding a RAM chip.
b. Lenovo Thinkpad E series laptops with 16GB memory have two DDR4 (3200 MHz) chips. Out of which one is soldered and one is SODIMM.

I have following queries:
1. How does MT/s compare with MHz? I read a few posts on reddit but haven't really understood it. One post there says, "for DDR RAMs, we can say that 4800 MT/s ~ 2400MHz)." Is it correct?
2. Replacing a soldered RAM (in case it stops working properly) is not practical and therefore one should avoid laptops with a soldered RAM (that's what my understanding is after reading some related stuff on the internet).
Now, lets consider that I bought a laptop like some Lenovo Thinkpad E series laptop that has two RAM chips with one of them is soldered.
If that soldered RAM chip malfunctions, can I just disable it and keep using the laptop with the additional RAM chip?

@S S V @Pankhuri and others, Please help me these doubts.
1) you are doing nitpicking, nothing else
2) again overly concerned.. not to worry about soldered RAM,

once you decide on the product , right at the end, let me know. I will see how we can get it for the least net effective price

Sourabh_13

TF Premier
Thank you for suggestions and help @Pankhuri and @S S V ! :)

@Pankhuri I checked the laptop you suggested. All great..but warrenty is mentioned as NA. I was going to ask the seller about it.

But here is a news! My lab is giving me a laptop 😀. My prof came to know about the fate of my current laptop and that I am going to buy a new one. I don't know which one I will get though. Just now, I have shared my requirements and preferences with the vendor: i5-13th_gen U/P processor (i7-12th_gen only if costing <= i5-13th) , 8/16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 14' screen, >=50wh battery, No GPU, Preferably Dell/Lenovo.

Pankhuri

TF Ace

@Pankhuri I checked the laptop you suggested. All great..but warrenty is mentioned as NA. I was going to ask the seller about it.

But here is a news! My lab is giving me a laptop 😀. My prof came to know about the fate of my current laptop and that I am going to buy a new one. I don't know which one I will get though. Just now, I have shared my requirements and preferences with the vendor: i5-13th_gen U/P processor (i7-12th_gen only if costing <= i5-13th) , 8/16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 14' screen, >=50wh battery, No GPU, Preferably Dell/Lenovo.
Should have mentioned that you are a student. Usually most reputed colleges have such programs. Even if you would have bought, you can get it reimbursed if you are in good graces with the professor and the laptop is around the normal range they would have given you if you asked.

Also, would suggest to make 16gb ram a requirement. Difference in cost would not be much.

Sorry about warranty, I didn't check that.

Sourabh_13

TF Premier
Yeah...I checked if any department or institute level program/fund is there for getting a laptop but didn't see any. Dell and Lenovo do have flat 3-4K extra off for students on some of their laptops.

I hadn't seen any student getting a laptop from our lab (only the lab staff and project staff are given laptops which they have to return when they leave), so hadn't given it a thought 😅.

16GB RAM: Yes, I agree. Will inform the vendor. Thanks!

The laptop you suggested: I have asked the seller about the warranty anyway. No harm in knowing. I will update here once I hear from them.

Last edited:

Sourabh_13

TF Premier

Regretting mentioning Lenovo as one of the preferred brands to the vendor:

Received Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen5 i5-1335U/16GB/512GB laptop on 24th. It's fan is defective and makes lot of noise the whole time. The laptop came with 3Y premier support that claims next-business day support at the client's location.

It was written on the keyboard cover that fan making noise during the first boot is normal. So I went ahead and installed Ubuntu. Seeing no improvement, contacted Lenovo (through the vendor). Lenovo said, their technical team will have to confirm the hardware issue before going for return/replacement.

The technical team made me install windows citing they have no way to update the BIOS without windows even though, I could see on their own web site that a solution exists. They betted on updating the BIOS will fix the fan noise issue. After the issue persisted, they heard the noise over a call and through a remote access application that they made me install. They also made me send them the audio and video recordings over an email.

Even after doing this by last thursday, they haven't done anything yet. Today when the vendor called Lenovo, he was told that the team is 'working on the case' and did not give any timeline for return/replacement. He escalated it to the next level where he was promised a response within 6 hours. When it was just 2 minutes to complete those 6 hours, a person from escalation team has sent a mail to lenovo customer care with a single sentence that says '@customer_care Please help here addressing this case.'

I have now asked the vendor to go for a return and not for the replacement and have also told him to get me a Dell laptop only.