• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Surcharge on prepaid card on t wallet (govt spends mcc)

vijay.vj

TF Ace
I used a prepaid card to load T Wallet (used for paying electricity bills, after bill payments moved to BBPS).
I was shown 1% + GST as load fee which I was fine. Amount was proper on payment screen & I went ahead with OTP.

However, I was charged a surcharge of 2.5%+GST additionally. 2 days later, I received this amount as refund for this transaction.

Same happened for my next transaction a week later I didn't get any refund of surcharge.

Wallet team says to check with my card issuer. Card support team says check with merchant...
Both claim that they don't charge surcharge unless its fuel & railways.

Any idea why the surcharge and why the refund. Whom should I contact to get a refund (since I received refund in past).

Note: MCC is govt spends.

Yeah but why charge and refund... and then claim they don't charge.

Who is the culprit... they keep pointing to each other.

I think its the card and its issuer bank... but not really sure.
Actual Surcharge amount is totally depends on Acquirer Bank.

No Prepaid Card will Pay surcharge from its own pocket. Suppose if user do not fund its Prepaid card after making such a txn on which Surcharge is claimed by Acquirer, form where Prepaid Card issuer recover this Amount ? So they deduct it upfront and Refund at settlement the difference if any.

Usually 1.18% is deducted upfront, subject to minimum 11.8 , depends on
Card Issuer.

In case of credit Cards Surcharge can be recovered from Customer at settlement ,otherwise Credit cards issuers too would follow same practice.

No Prepaid Card will Pay surcharge from its own pocket. Suppose if user do not fund its Prepaid card after making such a txn on which Surcharge is claimed by Acquirer, form where Prepaid Card issuer recover this Amount ? So they deduct it upfront and Refund at settlement the difference if any.

Card Issuer.

In case of credit Cards Surcharge can be recovered from Customer at settlement ,otherwise Credit cards issuers too would follow same practice.
Thanks for the explanation.

Now I'm just waiting for refund :)

Card Issuer.

ok. This clears the doubt and answers the question

Card Issuer.

So I got response from T Wallet. They sent me their statement. It only contains transaction fee and GST involved. There is no mention of Surcharge.

They ask me to check with my prepaid card team

Back