• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Trick to remember multiple Credit/Debit cards PIN?

Manoj Pant

TF Premier
How to remember PIN of multiple Credit & Debit cards easily? Is there any safe trick? is it good idea to make similar PIN for all cards?

a simple way to keep useful passwords can be
the first digit of the 16-digit card number
for example
4XXX 3XXX 5XXX 7XXX

OR
the last digit of the 16-digit card number
XXX9 XXX8 XXX7 XXX6

this way you do not need to remember the password
one look at it is more than enough

Make an encrypted excel file and store all the passwords there.
I used to do that, the problem is it's only available on one device. And if I share across multiple devices, then version management becomes a problem, like if I add a new account / update an account to one, then I need to sync that sheet across all devices.

Instead I just use a Password Manager. I pay for that convenience 🙈

a simple way to keep useful passwords can be
the first digit of the 16-digit card number
for example
4XXX 3XXX 5XXX 7XXX

OR
the last digit of the 16-digit card number
XXX9 XXX8 XXX7 XXX6

this way you do not need to remember the password
one look at it is more than enough
I used to do MM/YY as the pin but then in a year realised that if I change the hashing method, I need to update over 25 of my cards which is a royal pain in the buttocks. This technique, or any other hashing mechanism is good on paper. The problem comes when there is time to change them.

I am using a Notes app to keep track of all Cards, Bank account details, all email and app passwords and I keep it hidden from the app list. No one can find it even on an unlocked phone except me.

Also I keep the transaction limits to bare minimum and always turn off International and ATM transactions for all cards, disable Tap n pay for those which I don't use.

Also I have learnt not to save card details in websites and apps except for a few trusted ones. I use Flipkart every month but none of my cards are saved there whereas in Amazon, Paytm etc all cards are saved.
Notes on iOS? How do you hide the notes? At max, you can lock the individual notes, but that can be breached easily.

I am using a Notes app to keep track of all Cards, Bank account details, all email and app passwords and I keep it hidden from the app list. No one can find it even on an unlocked phone except me.

Also I keep the transaction limits to bare minimum and always turn off International and ATM transactions for all cards, disable Tap n pay for those which I don't use.

Also I have learnt not to save card details in websites and apps except for a few trusted ones. I use Flipkart every month but none of my cards are saved there whereas in Amazon, Paytm etc all cards are saved.
What if you lose your phone?

I used to do MM/YY as the pin but then in a year realised that if I change the hashing method, I need to update over 25 of my cards which is a royal pain in the buttocks. This technique, or any other hashing mechanism is good on paper. The problem comes when there is time to change them.
This method is good because usually cards get changed once in 5 years and due to Devaluations many get closed.
So if any card is held for that big a period.
When the new card comes updating the pin as mentioned becomes easy

simple easy solution - keep same pin on all DC and CC but on the same time turn off everything / every type of TXN settings on mobile app or net-banking site - only activate as needed and turn off instantly after using

Back