• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Vietnam in November

card_wizard

TF Select
Guys I am planning a 9 days trip to Vietnam, it is my first foreign trip( November 11 morning land hanoi---November 20 morning flight to india). I want to cover Hanoi, Da nang, Ho chi minh city. Can you please help me make a good itinenary. If possible then I want to cover Sapa and nha trang as well. I am gonna carry Scapia credit card with me. Things I need help with
1. A good itinenary
2. where to exchange money to get best value
3. Where to get sim card to get best value
4. where to book those mekong delta & halong bay trip at a good price
5. any tips for the tour

Guys I am planning a 9 days trip to Vietnam, it is my first foreign trip( November 11 morning land hanoi---November 20 morning flight to india). I want to cover Hanoi, Da nang, Ho chi minh city. Can you please help me make a good itinenary. If possible then I want to cover Sapa and nha trang as well. I am gonna carry Scapia credit card with me. Things I need help with
1. A good itinenary
2. where to exchange money to get best value
3. Where to get sim card to get best value
4. where to book those mekong delta & halong bay trip at a good price
5. any tips for the tour
1. 3D Hanoi(including day trip to Halong Bay), 2D Danang, 1D Hoi An(it's incredibly beautiful at night. Don't skip!), 2D HCMC. This will leave you with one spare day so you can accommodate either Sapa or Nha Trang. I would suggest you visit Sapa as it is the ideal time to visit the region.
2. Personally, I got my USDs exchanged at local gold shops. The rates they offer are higher than the official rates.
3. Usually, I don't recommend getting sim cards at the airport, but the difference is miniscule so you can consider getting one as soon as you land. Get Viettel as it has coverage almost everywhere in Vietnam.
4. Try Klook. You will get reasonable prices. Will save you the haggling with local tour operators.
5. If you want to do the river cruise in HCMC, they have a waterbus service which offers a similar experience at a fraction of the cost. You will need to go to the pier and purchase the tickets a bit in advance as they tend to get sold out.
Also, don't forget to try the coconut coffee. I had one multiple times a day throughout my trip. It is so good, it's almost addictive! Cong Cafe was my go-to place.

Hope that answers your queries. Have a safe trip. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Use Chat GPT.

It sounds like you have an exciting trip planned to Vietnam! Here's a suggested itinerary for your 9-day journey, including Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Sapa, and Nha Trang:

**Day 1 (November 11): Arrival in Hanoi**
- Arrive in Hanoi in the morning.
- Check into your hotel and freshen up.
- Explore the Old Quarter of Hanoi.
- Visit the Hoan Kiem Lake and Ngoc Son Temple.
- Enjoy a traditional Vietnamese dinner.

**Day 2 (November 12): Hanoi**
- Visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and the One Pillar Pagoda.
- Explore the Temple of Literature.
- Take a cyclo ride around Hanoi's streets.
- Evening stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake.

**Day 3 (November 13): Hanoi - Halong Bay**
- Book a Halong Bay tour (you can do this through your hotel or a local tour agency).
- Travel to Halong Bay (about 4 hours).
- Cruise and explore the stunning limestone karsts of Halong Bay.

**Day 4 (November 14): Halong Bay - Hanoi - Da Nang**
- Finish your Halong Bay cruise.
- Return to Hanoi.
- Catch a flight to Da Nang.
- Check into your hotel in Da Nang.

**Day 5 (November 15): Da Nang - Hoi An**
- Visit the Marble Mountains in Da Nang.
- Explore Hoi An Ancient Town (a short drive from Da Nang).
- Stroll through the charming streets and enjoy local cuisine.
- Return to Da Nang in the evening.

**Day 6 (November 16): Da Nang - Ho Chi Minh City**
- Fly to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
- Explore the city's highlights, such as the War Remnants Museum and Notre-Dame Cathedral.
- Enjoy a dinner cruise on the Saigon River.

**Day 7 (November 17): Ho Chi Minh City**
- Visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, a historic site from the Vietnam War.
- Explore the Ben Thanh Market and shop for souvenirs.
- Enjoy street food in the evening.

**Day 8 (November 18): Ho Chi Minh City - Sapa**
- Take a flight to Hanoi.
- Travel to Sapa by overnight train or bus.

**Day 9 (November 19): Sapa**
- Explore the beautiful terraced rice fields and visit local villages.
- Return to Hanoi in the evening.

**Day 10 (November 20): Departure**
- Fly from Hanoi to Nha Trang.
- Spend your last day in Nha Trang relaxing on the beach.
- Catch your morning flight back to India.

Now, let's address your other questions:

**2. Currency Exchange:** It's best to exchange your currency at official banks or authorized exchange counters in Vietnam for the best rates. Avoid exchanging money at the airport or hotels as they may offer less favorable rates.

**3. SIM Card:** You can buy a SIM card with data at the airport or from local telecom stores in each city. Major providers like Viettel, Vinaphone, and Mobifone offer good coverage and affordable prepaid SIM card options for tourists.

**4. Booking Mekong Delta & Halong Bay Tours:** You can book these tours through your hotel, reputable travel agencies, or online platforms like Viator or GetYourGuide. Compare prices and read reviews to ensure you get a good deal. Negotiating prices at local agencies in Vietnam can sometimes get you better deals.

**5. Tips for the Trip:**
- Learn some basic Vietnamese phrases. It can be helpful and appreciated by locals.
- Be cautious when crossing the streets in busy cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City; traffic can be chaotic.
- Respect local customs and traditions, particularly when visiting temples and pagodas.
- Try local street food, but ensure it's from clean and hygienic stalls.
- Bargain politely when shopping at markets, but remember that haggling is a common practice in Vietnam.

Enjoy your trip to Vietnam! It's a beautiful country with a rich culture and history.
That's a useless itinerary. It does not make any sense! Sapa is close to Hanoi and Nha Trang is close to HCMC. Following this will just waste resources and time by having to take multiple trips back and forth from one end of the country to another for no logical reason. ChatGpt is a great tool, but it lacks in many things.
Next time please refrain from sharing information blindly.

Reactions: CMG
Thanks a lot
1. 3D Hanoi(including day trip to Halong Bay), 2D Danang, 1D Hoi An(it's incredibly beautiful at night. Don't skip!), 2D HCMC. This will leave you with one spare day so you can accommodate either Sapa or Nha Trang. I would suggest you visit Sapa as it is the ideal time to visit the region.
2. Personally, I got my USDs exchanged at local gold shops. The rates they offer are higher than the official rates.
3. Usually, I don't recommend getting sim cards at the airport, but the difference is miniscule so you can consider getting one as soon as you land.
4. Try Klook. You will get reasonable prices. Will save you the haggling with local tour operators.
5. If you want to do the river cruise in HCMC, they have a waterbus service which offers a similar experience at a fraction of the cost. You will need to go to the pier and purchase the tickets a bit in advance as they tend to get sold out.
Also, don't forget to try the coconut coffee. I had one multiple times a day throughout my trip. It is so good, it's almost addictive! Cong Cafe was my go-to place.

Thanks a lot🙂

Use Chat GPT.

It sounds like you have an exciting trip planned to Vietnam! Here's a suggested itinerary for your 9-day journey, including Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Sapa, and Nha Trang:

**Day 1 (November 11): Arrival in Hanoi**
- Arrive in Hanoi in the morning.
- Check into your hotel and freshen up.
- Explore the Old Quarter of Hanoi.
- Visit the Hoan Kiem Lake and Ngoc Son Temple.
- Enjoy a traditional Vietnamese dinner.

**Day 2 (November 12): Hanoi**
- Visit the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and the One Pillar Pagoda.
- Explore the Temple of Literature.
- Take a cyclo ride around Hanoi's streets.
- Evening stroll around Hoan Kiem Lake.

**Day 3 (November 13): Hanoi - Halong Bay**
- Book a Halong Bay tour (you can do this through your hotel or a local tour agency).
- Travel to Halong Bay (about 4 hours).
- Cruise and explore the stunning limestone karsts of Halong Bay.

**Day 4 (November 14): Halong Bay - Hanoi - Da Nang**
- Finish your Halong Bay cruise.
- Return to Hanoi.
- Catch a flight to Da Nang.
- Check into your hotel in Da Nang.

**Day 5 (November 15): Da Nang - Hoi An**
- Visit the Marble Mountains in Da Nang.
- Explore Hoi An Ancient Town (a short drive from Da Nang).
- Stroll through the charming streets and enjoy local cuisine.
- Return to Da Nang in the evening.

**Day 6 (November 16): Da Nang - Ho Chi Minh City**
- Fly to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
- Explore the city's highlights, such as the War Remnants Museum and Notre-Dame Cathedral.
- Enjoy a dinner cruise on the Saigon River.

**Day 7 (November 17): Ho Chi Minh City**
- Visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, a historic site from the Vietnam War.
- Explore the Ben Thanh Market and shop for souvenirs.
- Enjoy street food in the evening.

**Day 8 (November 18): Ho Chi Minh City - Sapa**
- Take a flight to Hanoi.
- Travel to Sapa by overnight train or bus.

**Day 9 (November 19): Sapa**
- Explore the beautiful terraced rice fields and visit local villages.
- Return to Hanoi in the evening.

**Day 10 (November 20): Departure**
- Fly from Hanoi to Nha Trang.
- Spend your last day in Nha Trang relaxing on the beach.
- Catch your morning flight back to India.

Now, let's address your other questions:

**2. Currency Exchange:** It's best to exchange your currency at official banks or authorized exchange counters in Vietnam for the best rates. Avoid exchanging money at the airport or hotels as they may offer less favorable rates.

**3. SIM Card:** You can buy a SIM card with data at the airport or from local telecom stores in each city. Major providers like Viettel, Vinaphone, and Mobifone offer good coverage and affordable prepaid SIM card options for tourists.

**4. Booking Mekong Delta & Halong Bay Tours:** You can book these tours through your hotel, reputable travel agencies, or online platforms like Viator or GetYourGuide. Compare prices and read reviews to ensure you get a good deal. Negotiating prices at local agencies in Vietnam can sometimes get you better deals.

**5. Tips for the Trip:**
- Learn some basic Vietnamese phrases. It can be helpful and appreciated by locals.
- Be cautious when crossing the streets in busy cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City; traffic can be chaotic.
- Respect local customs and traditions, particularly when visiting temples and pagodas.
- Try local street food, but ensure it's from clean and hygienic stalls.
- Bargain politely when shopping at markets, but remember that haggling is a common practice in Vietnam.

Enjoy your trip to Vietnam! It's a beautiful country with a rich culture and history.
This is why I never use CHATGPT for planning lol, SAPA is northern Vietnam whereas Ho chi min city is in southern vietnam

3. Usually, I don't recommend getting sim cards at the airport, but the difference is miniscule so you can consider getting one as soon as you land.

One question, Lets say my trip budget is 50,000RS so do I convert this 50,000 into US DOLLAR then take this cash to Vietnam and then exchange it to VIETNAMESE DONG ?

One question, Lets say my trip budget is 50,000RS so do I convert this 50,000 into US DOLLAR then take this cash to Vietnam and then exchange it to VIETNAMESE DONG ?
Yes. That would be the best option. Take $100 notes and make sure they are brand new. Otherwise, they will offer a lower exchange rate.
HCMC- Ha tam Jewelery(map: Google link), near Ben Thanh Market
Hanoi- Go to Ha Trung street. There are several gold shops here. (map: Google link)
Take a bit of change($50) that you can exchange at the airport for your taxi and sim. I withdrew from the atm as soon as I landed though.

Last edited:
Been to Vietnam more than 20 times. Here are few tips
1. Exchange only few bucks at airport to pay for taxi, later exchange at gold shop
2. SIM buy in local store, ask your taxi driver to get one for you. SIM at airport is 10x expensive
3. Halong bay explore from Cat Ba and not from Hanoi
4. Mekong Delta tour - go for a walk near Can Tho pier, a boat lady will find you. Tour starts in early moring

Thats in Myanmar, never faced the situatioon in Vietnam
Well, I faced that situation in Vietnam. Official exchange stores will accept any denomination and offer the same exchange rates on old notes. But I am talking about changing at gold shops.

Yes. That would be the best option. Take $100 notes and make sure they are brand new. Otherwise, they will offer a lower exchange rate.
HCMC- Ha tam Jewelery(map: Google link), near Ben Thanh Market
Hanoi- Go to Ha Trung street. There are several gold shops here. (map: Google link)
Take a bit of change($50) that you can exchange at the airport for your taxi and sim. I withdrew from the atm as soon as I landed though.
So you mean first I need to exchange 50,000INR to $ in INDIA and then take that dollar to Vietnam and then again exchange it to DONG. Will the flight allow carrying that much dollars?

1. Exchange only few bucks at airport to pay for taxi, later exchange at gold shop
2. SIM buy in local store, ask your taxi driver to get one for you. SIM at airport is 10x expensive
4. Mekong Delta tour - go for a walk near Can Tho pier, a boat lady will find you. Tour starts in early moring
Guys I have made this itinerary, can you guys please review it and give feedback if I need to change anything.
1696827865647.png
1696827904419.png

So you mean first I need to exchange 50,000INR to $ in INDIA and then take that dollar to Vietnam and then again exchange it to DONG. Will the flight allow carrying that much dollars?
Up to $5000/person is fine. In so many years of my travel, I've never been checked.

Few questions
1. from where can we book The Halong bay and Mekong delta trips at best price, someone told me Gadttravel is a good one but please tell me if there is any better one than this
2. Can I book flight or train tickets from 12GoAsia website or should I stick with Skyscanner?
3. Hotel suggestions
4. Should we buy health Insurance?

Few questions
1. from where can we book The Halong bay and Mekong delta trips at best price, someone told me Gadttravel is a good one but please tell me if there is any better one than this
I've been using klook for several years now. Almost always found the best prices and highly reliable. You can also see reviews of the services which people have availed. Link->klook.com
2. Can I book flight or train tickets from 12GoAsia website or should I stick with Skyscanner?
Use Skyscanner for flight tickets and go with trusted OTAs. Avoid train travel as it will take away a lot of time from your trip. But if you want to take trains in SE Asia, 12go.asia is a good site for bookings.
3. Hotel suggestions
It's better you do this research on your own, based on your budget and location preference.
4. Should we buy health Insurance?
Absolutely! It barely costs anything. Just make sure to get one that also covers missed flight connections.

Last edited:
Back