• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
Because
1 - upi is free
2- money is in bank account
3- no mdr
4- about network ( if upi isn't working in shop how will Swipe Machine work because they require internet too ! Some require 4g even

5- why to give training to a executive to handle a pos

6 - sometimes pos transaction stuck need time to resolve in upi get either sucess or deny 0.1% get stuck to wait for 1-3 Mintues
& 0.00000001% get stuck for 24-48 hr ..

7- u know how plastic money is seen in country .now upi money directly go to bank hence people are like bank me gya hai direct .

Points are not to attack' you or prove u wrong .i m sure u must be in hurry , hungry to eat , toliet pressue ,officer pressure or just mood bit dull.
Hence u saw this as negative thingy .

If u were in joyus mood u must have seen this event as people trying hard to adopt good tech even though they ask their children how to save this number type aunties ..our moms fall in same category too ..

If u look with negative energy u will see so much bad in it .if u look at it as positive u can see beauty of it ..

Its just the matter how your body emotions working when u observed that event .

Last edited:
Paying with UPI:

Step 1: Scan QR.
Step 2: Enter PIN

Payment done!

Paying with a credit card:

Step 1: Show Amex Card.

saaar, this is not accepted.

Step 2: Bring out your HDFC DCB card.

saaaaar, this is not working in machine.

Step 3: Pull out your low-reward visa credit card to save further embarrassment.

Step 4: Remember to pay the bill by the deadline.

Step 5: Cry about the late fees to PNO because you were late by a day in paying back the bill.

Step 6:- Cry about which DC/Wallet/App giving Rewards for Credit Card Bill Repayments😂

Basic reason why we all - educated or not - must adopt n use UPI - for any amount.

Pure common sense. Why should my bank pay Visa or MC or AMEX.... any commission on my 20/- to 200000/- trxn to my neighborhood shop. Or, when Jiomart delivers needies to me.

Such commission - on millions of trxns daily - often total to millions of USD on a yearly basis. Why we - India as a whole - must pay that sort of commissions ? Just Google to know how much we are paying........

Especially, when Visa/MC/AMEX/... doesn't bring much value different from what our own home-grown UPI is giving us. Credit cards, debit cards, virtual cards, pre-loaded cards.... You name it, we have it.

I am glad to use only UPI settlements during our month long trip till last week.

Being educated, being a true Indian n being a career Banker, I am proud to see the growing strength of UPI.

I don't think it is a weird obsession. Most of the UPI usage happens in crowded billing counters where you can take your time to make the payment without blocking next in the line. People with multiple cards would be aware of rewards (my assumption from own preference) and will always try to maximize it. OP might not have observed enough people before generalizing.

Step 6:- Cry about which DC/Wallet giving Rewards for Credit Card Bill Repayments

Step 6:- Cry about which DC/Wallet/App giving Rewards for Credit Card Bill Repayments😂
Step 7: then cry about that DC/Wallet not giving the correct rewards because they patched it or MCC change or devaluation or just didn't want to give.😂

Small villages? I live in a small town (Tier 2? Tier 3?). My everyday shopping is done in typical small-to-medium shops who don't take cards, but do often have QR codes on display. I rarely (maybe 1- 2% of the time) go to larger offline shops who accept cards. All my occasional larger shopping is done online where I do use my cards (UPI too, depending on offers). I find UPI to be a boon for everyday offline shopping.
It’s perfectly understandable in those circumstances. I would use it as well or pay via cash. I was talking about large stores and restaurants where credit cards are readily accepted. When I go to a place that doesn’t accept credit cards or has a minimum limit, I use UPI as well or pay in cash if the amount is in round figures. UPI is super useful in such situations.

Thread 'THE CONONIAL HANGOVER OF SO CALLED SELF ENTITLED INDIAN ABOUT RUSH IN AIRPORT LOUNGE' https://www.technofino.in/community...ed-indian-about-rush-in-airport-lounge.20772/

Read this joke turned reality few days ago in some bhpian website 😂
I only want to question to that BHP Guy that does the poor or educated people aren't the citizens of this Nation, or they don't have the right to go into the lounge when they're paying for their tickets.

Now, the new THREAD will be "What is the obsession with the Credit Card Loyalty Points and how Poor & Educated People are able to go to 5 star hotels?"

I make it a point not to directly use my card at any of the large format grocery shops like reliance, spencers, erst while big bazaar etc. most of them do not use the standard bank provided POS and rather directly swipe the card in their own billing machine. even when they use standard POS, they still swipe the card in their billing machine for God knows what. who knows what they are doing to do with the collected data. its definitely a security risk.
I am more comfortable using UPI at these outlets.
You can call me paranoid, but I am not the only one.
Then why even have a credit card if you are afraid to use it?

I didn't see this post earlier :(
OK so I see it the other way round - people use cards to earn some penny points and rewards. Whereas UPI is easy, convenient, and simple.
Literate or Illiterate, small amount or big amount, UPI always!
Why carry so many cards in the wallet when you can get everything done with the phone? And you can add multiple bank accounts in Gpay, if SBI doesn't work, try ICICI.
I believe a POS machine also connects to a mobile network to receive payments. So is UPI. No worries of missing the purse or card, our phone will always be with us.
Why do you need to carry so many cards? Just 1 or 2 you want to use it POS is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back