• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

Paying with UPI:

Step 1: Scan QR.
Step 2: Enter PIN

Payment done!

Paying with a credit card:

Step 1: Show Amex Card.

saaar, this is not accepted.

Step 2: Bring out your HDFC DCB card.

saaaaar, this is not working in machine.

Step 3: Pull out your low-reward visa credit card to save further embarrassment.

Step 4: Remember to pay the bill by the deadline.

Step 5: Cry about the late fees to PNO because you were late by a day in paying back the bill.

Not everyone wants rewards, not everyone wants to fly business class, some people prefer a normal stress free life and there's nothing wrong with it.
For people like us who would die for rewards, carry 15 credit cards, we're amazing too but not everyone wants to be us and that's okay!

UPI was made to make lives simple, ease the transactions and reduce the usage of cash which has been successful so it's a great innovation! :)
Nothing has to be shown. Just tap your card and go.

Why do you need to carry so many cards? Just 1 or 2 you want to use it POS is all you need.
You wish simply take out card and pay with out any issues.

In india, cards reward rate is different with irrespective to category.

Only few high variant cards has constant reward rate above 2% that too with respect to annual spend milestone.

When we are going out, how can we particular Wil think will go to that shop or dine there, particulayly ?? --- in india, scope is high for alternatives unlike in foreign countries where monopoly is very high.

You wish simply take out card and pay with out any issues.

In india, cards reward rate is different with irrespective to category.

Only few high variant cards has constant reward rate above 2% that too with respect to annual spend milestone.

When we are going out, how can we particular Wil think will go to that shop or dine there, particulayly ?? --- in india, scope is high for alternatives unlike in foreign countries where monopoly is very high.
True, In India RBI is dominating over the banks but in US the Visa & MasterCard is dominating over the government.

People can fumble in entering the card's PIN too and sometimes even POS machines can indefinitely take time to catch the payment.
I've trust issues and disabled tap and pay on all my cards.
I just prefer PIN validation, and almost every time caught me off-guard when entering the PIN in those machines that changes the number pattern after every single digit.

You might say maybe I'm poor and that's ok. Making sure that money gets deducted properly is any time better than letting go in uncertainty just to keep a don't care face in front of people I don't even know.
And people usually go to eateries and shopping for fun, few minutes here and there doesn't really matter.
If I get problems in UPI more than twice, I just let people behind me go ahead till I sort out what is up with the phone.

Last edited:
Bhay gaali khane ka mann hai kya 🤣?

It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards.
You can transaction upto 5 Lacs using UPI
At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second,
As you mentioned larger shop, contactless transaction can't be done of more than 5k at once while UPI has immense high limit of 5L for big merchants. And for small it's 2L.
often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle.
Yes, the same case can be in card too, maybe contactless didn't work, POS didn't work, card stopped working due to wear & tear.
Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
It's all about hassle. Many UPI card easily offers 1-2% cashback. People with credit card prefer scanning QR directly using UPI than craving for Ace (2%) card or other milestone cards. Major people don't have those cards which offers more than 2% cashback offline. So they prefer easy 1% cashback everywhere with UPI than researching on technofino/other forum for different different cashback & cards. That is what convenience for them.

The problem: Main motive of creating this thread was just that lady who just wasted (maybe 5 minutes, I believe not more than that) your/others just because her UPI/Bank server/internet connection didn't work. And you got furious 😤 & created a thread here 🤣.

The same case can happen with card too.

I would suggest you to have patience & keep calm 😉 in life.

Peace 🕊️✌️.

As you mentioned larger shop, contactless transaction can't be done of more than 5k at once while UPI has immense high limit of 5L for big merchants. And for small it's 2L.

Yes, the same case can be in card too, maybe contactless didn't work, POS didn't work, card stopped working due to wear & tear.

It's all about hassle. Many UPI card easily offers 1-2% cashback. People with credit card prefer scanning QR directly using UPI than craving for Ace (2%) card or other milestone cards. Major people don't have those cards which offers more than 2% cashback offline. So they prefer easy 1% cashback everywhere with UPI than researching on technofino/other forum for different different cashback & cards. That is what convenience for them.

The problem: Main motive of creating this thread was just that lady who just wasted (maybe 5 minutes, I believe not more than that) your/others just because her UPI/Bank server/internet connection didn't work. And you got furious 😤 & created a thread here 🤣.

Peace 🕊️✌️.
Konsa keyboard use kiya itna type krne k liye ?

Peace 🕊️✌️.
Wahwa Wahwa !!!
86197e06d9d31b21d5e421fda7c3ac86.gif

I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?
In India people consider credit card as a burden as it is a credit product. With UPI (a life changing innovation) it gives them a mental peace to deal with cashless payment.

Peace 🕊️✌️.
Vipassana kendra free advertisement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back