• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

2 year Schengen Visa granted (under the new “Cascade” regime for Indians)

ishanmontella

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone. I’ll share my recent experience of applying for Schengen Visa Switzerland.

Me and my wife had an appointment on 18th of June at VFS, New Delhi.

Had an early 9:15 AM slot, and we were free by 10 AM with all the formalities of documents check, payment, submission & biometric. It was a pretty smooth experience overall. We did not opt for the premium service which comes at an extra cost (Honestly, you don’t need it especially if you have an early appointment).

We received the passports today (27th June). Which is basically a pretty quick turnaround. To our pleasant delight, both of us received a 2 year duration Schengen Visa with multiple entries. Of course,both of us have a prior history of visiting Schengen countries. I have been travelling to Europe atleast once every year since the last 10 years. And my wife has travelled to Europe 3 times previously(2021, 2022, 2023). This is her fourth Schengen Visa. Her last Visa was from Germany (for only 45 days duration).

In a nutshell, yes, the new Cascade regime for Indians is a thing, and it’s already implemented by atleast Switzerland.

What is the Cascade regime? Quoting from the web “On 18 April 2024, the European Commission adopted more favourable rules for visas issued to Indian nationals residing in India.1 The new rules, known as the visa “cascade” regime, will allow Indian nationals who reside in India to have access to long-term, multi-entry Schengen visas valid for two years after having obtained and lawfully used two visas within the previous three years. The initial two-year visa can then be followed by a five-year visa, provided that the passport has sufficient remaining validity, providing for a longer stay by the individual. “

Hope this helps anyone looking to apply for a long-term Schengen Visa with a prior history.

If you don't mind, can you also share what dates of your trip did you mention in your itenary along with inbound and outbound flight tickets?
What is the duration of stay for each visit to a Schengen country?
Any limitations on the number of days you need to wait before taking another trip to a Schengen country after exiting a Schengen zone?

If you don't mind, can you also share what dates of your trip did you mention in your itenary along with inbound and outbound flight tickets?
What is the duration of stay for each visit to a Schengen country?
Any limitations on the number of days you need to wait before taking another trip to a Schengen country after exiting a Schengen zone?
—> Dates mentioned were 1 Sep to 4 Oct
—> Yes, “dummy” flights were provided by agent. I checked the PNR on airline website, and it existed, so that’s all the embassy really cares about. Of course you can cancel these once you get the Visa.
—> 27 days Switzerland, 7 days France
—>90/180 rule for Schengen (Tourist/Business category C Visa) always exists. You can only stay for 90 days in 180 days. That means for a 2 year Visa, if you carefully split your stay, you can stay there for 90x4 = 360 days in 2 years. You must leave the Schengen area (with your passport stamped), after completing 90 days, and return only after minimum 3 months have passed.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Pretty much the standard Schengen rules only that the visa validity is 2 years.

The cover letter was short & crisp, but an entire paragraph was dedicated as to why a longer duration Visa should be given, based on the new rules. Mentioned that copy of 3 previous Visas are attached for their reference (although rules state that 2 visas in last 3 years are enough).

Apart from this, just mentioned my profession, cities i’ll be visiting, and that all relevant documents are attached.

Can u pls DM agent details and fees they have charged over schengen visa fees. I am trying to get Italy slot but nothing seems to be available for my location

I don't think they will give the extended visa to everyone who is eligible (utilization 2 Visa in the last 3 years) if you don't specifically ask or request for the longer visa with a justification. If you just submit an itenary for 15-20 days without a request or justification for a reason for longer visa, why would they issue the new longer visa?

I don't think they will give the extended visa to everyone who is eligible (utilization 2 Visa in the last 3 years) if you don't specifically ask or request for the longer visa with a justification. If you just submit an itenary for 15-20 days without a request or justification for a reason for longer visa, why would they issue the new longer visa?
I submitted an itineary for 45 days and they issued me 30 days only. Now, I have to revise my airticket unnecessarily.

The cover letter was short & crisp, but an entire paragraph was dedicated as to why a longer duration Visa should be given, based on the new rules. Mentioned that copy of 3 previous Visas are attached for their reference (although rules state that 2 visas in last 3 years are enough).

Apart from this, just mentioned my profession, cities i’ll be visiting, and that all relevant documents are attached.
Can you please share - but an entire paragraph was dedicated as to why a longer duration Visa should be given, based on the new rules

I submitted an itineary for 45 days and they issued me 30 days only. Now, I have to revise my airticket unnecessarily.

That is odd.. last year I have the Swiss embassy a 41 day itenary and was given a 90 day visa.

That is really odd.. ideally they issue 90 day Schengen visas. Always do dummy flight bookings for visa, you never know when they can reject the application. The agents charge a small fee but it's better than losing a huge amount of you have to cancel or reschedule a flight.

Chalo this is good... Getting a Schengen visa was such a demeaning experience in the past like they were doing such a big favor by "allowing" us to visit...am sure they will slowly bend more... As they realize paisa aur log toh India se hi aayenge... Aaj nahi toh kal it will happen

Before people start negating ki nahi its just me coz of lesser profile etc... I have gone to Europe 5 times throughout life and 3 times in last 10 years.. Hold many other visas including us for last 20+ years now

Below video funnily summarizes the experience

Back