• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Easy address update methods for all banks (and credit cards)

yolofino

TF Ace
With the power of the Internet, there has been good initiatives by the banks in India to update one's address online or without visiting any branch. I'll be listing one by one (whichever I experienced) as a comment and link here as well.

Address change is one of painful processes in India with the govt departments and private entities demanding a proof to change the address, which is difficult to get when one moves places.

I request everyone to share their address change experiences so that it helps someone reading it and this in turn could reduce the paperwork by a huge margin.

IDFC First Bank method

Last edited:
Recently updated all of my bank account & credit card addresses based on aadhar/voter id card through online.

All of the address update request processed within 2 days.

IndusInd/Indie - Indusmobile app - 2 days - Via Voter id
ICICI - ICICI net banking - 2 days - Via Voter id
Axis - Axis Mobile - Instant - Via aadhar

I think almost all banks have this facility.

Without proof,just by biometric one can update any address of one's choice.

Biometric generally means only fingerprint here, -- not iris scan and such, right?

In my experience fingerprint verification can be a major problem for many people, -- people working with their hands, aged people, etc. The cheap equipment used at most places often aren't good enough to make out non-optimum fingerprints. What's the way out? Anybody has seen any alternatives (e.g. iris scanners) being employed anywhere?

Biometric generally means only fingerprint here, -- not iris scan and such, right?

In my experience fingerprint verification can be a major problem for many people, -- people working with their hands, aged people, etc. The cheap equipment used at most places often aren't good enough to make out non-optimum fingerprints. What's the way out? Anybody has seen any alternatives (e.g. iris scanners) being employed anywhere?
Most bank branches are equipped with biometric only,may be in near future Iris scanner shall be deployed as well

Most of the banks now allow to update address of their choice by completing biometric authentication at every branch.
Hmm, many do, yes. However, this requires going to the branch and banks like HDFC wastes a lot of time and annoys you for "investment plans".

Another factor, as someone else commented here earlier is that finger biometrics are not reliable and poor folks can't use it. Unfortunate reality which the govt don't want to believe.

Personally, finger biometrics feels like signing a blank paper, it's archaic.

I have credit card-only account with ICICI, Axis, RBL, Citi, Federal, BoB etc.

All these allowed me to change the address online. SBI Cards was adamant on physical biometric auth earlier, now they dropped the ball and following Digilocker-based auth.

ICICI cc - I emailed them.

Axis cc - Did via netbanking portal, can be done via app as well. Here again, I faced issued with Aadhaar - after otp it showed error. Was successful 2 months later.

RBL cc - called them and then emailed the address proof.

Citi - via netbanking

OneCard Federal cc - emailed them.

BoB cc - via their portal

HDFC savings account linked with cc - updated from netbanking

I'm not able to update my address in SBI bank savings account. Don't want to visit the branch to listen "lunch ke baad aana".

Back