• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Foreign shares wire transfer: USD or INR ?

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone,

I have recently sold a few shares from one of my previous companies.
Merchant: E* trade from Morgan Stanley
Amount: about $12k
Receiving bank: HDFC
Wire transfer charges: $25

While doing wire transfer, if I select the option to transfer in INR, I see a prompt stating that additional 3% will be charged. But if I select USD, there's no such prompt. I am aware of the fact that similar charges will be there. Probably HDFC will levy the charges, but I'm not sure how much.

Please help me choose an option: USD or INR while doing wire transfer.

roygarg

TF Buzz
Were you able to figure this out? Also, after initiating transfer, do you need to do anything else or is the money automatically credited to the savings account?

Legionomous

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,

While doing wire transfer, if I select the option to transfer in INR, I see a prompt stating that additional 3% will be charged. But if I select USD, there's no such prompt. I am aware of the fact that similar charges will be there. Probably HDFC will levy the charges, but I'm not sure how much.

Not sure if this helps but I did something similar where I sold some shares from my Fidelity account and had it first deposited into my US bank account and then using Remitly app, transferred it to my Indian bank account. Obviously, this is relevant only if you have a bank account in US.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi everyone,

usd.. if u chose inr then the exchange is higher.. let them. transfer in usd and you negotiate the inr rate with hdfc

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Were you able to figure this out? Also, after initiating transfer, do you need to do anything else or is the money automatically credited to the savings account?
Yeah .. I selected USD and made the transfer. Received a call from HDFC branch where my account is, asking to login to netbanking and select the transfer category, to which I had to select P-21 or something(received against stocks sold in overseas), and received the funds the next day.

sousnake

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yeah .. I selected USD and made the transfer. Received a call from HDFC branch where my account is, asking to login to netbanking and select the transfer category, to which I had to select P-21 or something(received against stocks sold in overseas), and received the funds the next day.
This is most efficient way. Get used and hdfc/icici provide good USD to INR conversion rates.

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Depends if your company has tie up
Hdfc only charges 7 paise for each dollar conversion. Not sure if sbi gives better.
Not sure of the conversion rate. I see two debit entries after the transaction. One is CSGT and other is SGST, each around 0.5% of the amount credited.

roygarg

TF Buzz
Thanks. Did they ask for any documents? I'm wondering if anyone has done this using icici or axis. If the procedure is the same I mean.

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thanks. Did they ask for any documents? I'm wondering if anyone has done this using icici or axis. If the procedure is the same I mean.
they ask forvdocs first time and then proof of source of funds every other time

Dragon_slayer

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I have done it using axis, yes they ask for documents ( most banks do ) , but they offer worst rates. I wont recommend using any private bank for remittance txns, all of them take huge commissiosn

roygarg

TF Buzz
I have done it using axis, yes they ask for documents ( most banks do ) , but they offer worst rates. I wont recommend using any private bank for remittance txns, all of them take huge commissiosn
Which documents do they ask for? Im asking for my wife and she only has the rsu grant letter from the company.