• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ITR processing delay. "Has your ITR been processed yet?"

People in this thread are believing that once the ITR is processed then story is over and are celebrating the same....However, for income Upto Rs. 50 lakhs - The cases can be scrutinized within 3 years from the end of the assessment year. Above Rs. 50 lakhs - The time limit is 5 years.

So nothing to celebrate..Processing is just an intimation that prima facie there is no discrepancy or error in return...
This will only happen if in some future year the IT dept notices something out of the ordinary and sends a scrutiny notice. It will then perhaps open earlier years.

For many normal tax payers that have repetitive income sources and similar trending returns, the processing closes the issue.

Congrats ! Always good to get a chunk back! IT dept is notorious to adjust refunds in earlier outstanding demands which they unfortunately don't always resolve in time!
Indeed sir, but they shouldn't be taking this long. I guess this ITR was filled in the first week of june and hence it took them a quarter to process the ITR of a salaried person.

During last year filing of returns, tax due was shown which I paid instantly but it did not get reflected in the returns. After a week I received a notice for the outstanding demand. I responded to the notice attaching the challan. I think I made a mistake in choosing the option 'demand is correct' while responding. The demand has not been settled yet. For this year refund, they have intimated that the refund will be adjusted against the outstanding demand. What am I supposed to do?

During last year filing of returns, tax due was shown which I paid instantly but it did not get reflected in the returns. After a week I received a notice for the outstanding demand. I responded to the notice attaching the challan. I think I made a mistake in choosing the option 'demand is correct' while responding. The demand has not been settled yet. For this year refund, they have intimated that the refund will be adjusted against the outstanding demand. What am I supposed to do?
Raise grievance.....Even if you selected demand is correct, mention the challan no in grievance that you already paid the demand.

Small correction. My ITR-1 was filled on 20th June. Still pending.
And here I had heard/read Govt has spent crores of rupees last year to upgrade the system and all the ITRs were supposed to be completed within a week or two.
Finally ITR processed yesterday and got the refund on the same day. Today received the Intimation email.

@HumorSimpson Did I write anything wrong :rolleyes:
LOL slip of mouse, clicked wrong reaction.
confused the simpsons GIF

I filed ITR 1 on July 8.
But I got a mail : Response to Confirm or Revise claim of refund

If I file a revised return, will they ignore the original return and process this new one?

I filed ITR 1 on July 8.
But I got a mail : Response to Confirm or Revise claim of refund

If I file a revised return, will they ignore the original return and process this new one?
A revised return is basically required and is intimated to file is when the details submitted by you does not match with ITD.
For example, many people do put HRA without actually staying on rent, over the last couple of years such individuals have received intimation to file revised return.
And Yes, once you file revised return your revised application is taken under consideration and the original is discarded.

A revised return is basically required and is intimated to file is when the details submitted by you does not match with ITD.
For example, many people do put HRA without actually staying on rent, over the last couple of years such individuals have received intimation to file revised return.
And Yes, once you file revised return your revised application is taken under consideration and the original is discarded.
Yes, I know my friends claiming refunds by just putting random 5L rent and some other unknown sections like 10(14)(i), 10(14)(ii) etc and getting refunds up to 2-3 lakhs in the last many years.

Back