• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

My 2 cents as a non tech guy who has used laptops of common brands for >10 years:

1. Always get extended warranty for 2 more years.
2. Always buy laptop with genuine windows and office.

Extra tip- never buy a laptop with graphics card unless you plan to play graphic intensive games
Well said. This is exactly what I concluded now. Going for Lenovo as I had good experience with it. Only thing is Amd vs intel

Well said. This is exactly what I concluded now. Going for Lenovo as I had good experience with it. Only thing is Amd vs intel
I am currently using AMD Ryzen 5. I have used many AMDs in the past.
My opinion of AMDs (including my Ryzen 5) is that they get very hot with intense use.
If finance permits, buy intel.
Leave AMD for the tech guys.
* I am not a tech guy, just a bit technically inclined

Another festivus Miracle !!! my old laptop showed mercy on me.

Festival GIF by hero0fwar

So, postponing till Dhasara sales.

Configs I have decided:
Lenovo --> Really have excellent first hand experience with this and I say this is laptop version of Nokia800
RAM --> 16GB
gpu : not needed

Configs open and not yet decided:
cpu : Intel or amd ?

My 2 cents as a non tech guy who has used laptops of common brands for >10 years:

1. Always get extended warranty for 2 more years.
2. Always buy laptop with genuine windows and office.

Extra tip- never buy a laptop with graphics card unless you plan to play graphic intensive games
thats what non tech guy says..now a tech non gamer guy..
who using pc+laptop more than 15years..
1.i didnt get extra waranty..
2.genuine windows for laptop needed..but not genuine office..
extra tip : even if u dont play games..gpu comes handy for high quality video stream..online and offline in media player

Configs open and not yet decided:
cpu : Intel or amd ?
Intel or AMD?
At present, doesn't really matter. There was a time when AMD was just chasing Intel, but things have changed now. AMD's CPUs are not just "existing" anymore. They are giving Intel a run for their money. If you compare CPUs from both manufacturers at any given price point, you'll find that, more often than not, AMD outperforms Intel's offering.

Only if you have specific requirements from the CPU should you worry about the manufacturer. Eg. Looking for a laptop with a thunderbolt port? You have no other choice but to go with Intel.

Also, if you are interested in a laptop with no dedicated GPU, then I suggest going with AMD. Thier CPUs have far superior integrated GPU while also being more power efficient.

Intel or AMD?
At present, doesn't really matter. There was a time when AMD was just chasing Intel, but things have changed now. AMD's CPUs are not just "existing" anymore. They are giving Intel a run for their money. If you compare CPUs from both manufacturers at any given price point, you'll find that, more often than not, AMD outperforms Intel's offering.

Only if you have specific requirements from the CPU should you worry about the manufacturer. Eg. Looking for a laptop with a thunderbolt port? You have no other choice but to go with Intel.

Also, if you are interested in a laptop with no dedicated GPU, then I suggest going with AMD. Thier CPUs have far superior integrated GPU while also being more power efficient.
+++ truth exposed

Intel or AMD?

Even Commander El Supremo says this.
BTW what is AMD's nearest cpu for intel core i5 12500H ?

Hi,

My personal laptop became unusable and I need a new one ASAP.

Going by personal experience with office Lenovo laptops, I am inclined towards it.
If you are talking about ThinkPad T-Series laptops, then I agree. These are super-awesome laptops. Even the refurbished laptops are better than most consumer laptops.

Reactions: SSV
If you are talking about ThinkPad T-Series laptops, then I agree. These are super-awesome laptops. Even the refurbished laptops are better than most consumer laptops.
You are absolutely correct thinkpads are like monsters.. before Lenovo bought by Chinese they were highly regarded in business / professional circles

Even now also they are good it seems ..
But now there are plenty of options

You are absolutely correct thinkpads are like monsters.. before Lenovo bought by Chinese they were highly regarded in business / professional circles

Even now also they are good it seems ..
But now there are plenty of options
I had thinkpad as office laptop. Now I have to be open for other options too ?

like Acer and asus ?

i never had good experience with dell and hp , so no for these.

like Acer and asus ?

my frnd has asus from 2017..recomnd by me..and mine acer from 2020..no issues in both lapy till date..frnd just upgraded a ram this year..thats it

like Acer and asus ?

Between acer and asus , I would prefer asus..

But Lenovo is my preferred option.
Do you move this laptop or use it at a fixed place?

Back