• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

now how to choose one ?
I had an ideapad bro, don't get me started on how many parts I have changed

- Keyboard
- Battery
- Display
- Aux port no longer working
- Hinges gone
- Chassis is really weak

I had a very bad experience with Lenovo. They had sent a defective (fan issue) Thinkpad E14 13th gen i5/16GB/512GB laptop. It came with 4Y Premium On-site Service which promises next-business day solution.

Despite bringing to their notice the fan issue within half an hour of the laptop delivery, they took two weeks to send a guy to our lab (I was given the laptop by our lab through a vendor whose store is in the campus. The vendor and I were following up.)

Before sending the person to our lab, Lenovo made us do following things: half half hour audio calls where the 'premium support guy' would make us do things like holding the phone at various distances from the laptop fan, sending audio recordings with fan noise, doing a video calls, giving them complete access of the laptop and to them (remote support app installation in phone and on the laptop), firmware upgrade, again audio-n-video calls, sending audio and video recordings.

The guy who came to the lab after two weeks opened the laptop, confirmed the fan issue, closed it and left. Some 2-3 days later, another guy came and sealed the laptop. Then 3 days later, Delhivery guy came to take the laptop but he said he will break the seal on which it was written that the seal should not be broken. He refused to pick up the laptop without breaking the seal. The vendor had to spend lot of time and fight with Lenovo people and after 3 more days, another Delivery person came and he took the laptop to Lenovo. After more than a week later, the vendor got the money.

ThinkPad T-Series laptops *used* to be super-awesome. (Even if you can get hold of older models, refurbished or second hand, you could upgrade and use them, they will keep working awesome).
The newer T-Series (in market these days) are good but not awesome. Still you can buy these if its in your budget.
L series are ok-ok, but still better than a lot of commercially available laptops.
X-series are higher-end and I have not used them physically.
The E series are the cheaper kind.
Other Lenovo laptops are nothing special, including IdeaPad.

Last year when I was purchasing laptop I created a brief sheet with details like Processor, RAM, RAM version, GPU, display type, refresh rate, build quality, pros, cons etc etc. Then eliminated one by one. Finally had 1-2 models only and then purchased the best deal.

Its a bit of effort, but totally worth I would say.

Last year when I was purchasing laptop I created a brief sheet with details like Processor, RAM, RAM version, GPU, display type, refresh rate, build quality, pros, cons etc etc. Then eliminated one by one. Finally had 1-2 models only and then purchased the best deal.

Its a bit of effort, but totally worth I would say.
alwys buy writing in pen and paper..i did that while buying my poco f5

Back