• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Laptop buying help [NOT so urgent]

CAn some one share their experience with acer laptops?
@D₹V
Many people I've encountered have expressed mostly negative opinions about Acer, and this sentiment has persisted for nearly a decade. There's a reason their laptops tend to be cheaper compared to other brands.

That being said, the durability of any laptop ultimately depends on luck. Even a flagship model can cause issues within a year if your luck isn't on your side.

From my experience in researching and recommending laptops for a decade:
1. Dell and Lenovo laptops (non-ThinkPad series) have poor quality control for the models sold to Asian and European markets. Dell used to be great earlier, but now they aren't so much. However, their after-sales service is really amazing though.

2. HP has consistently have poor build quality, but their laptops generally last longer and the service is really amazing too.

3. Since the past 5 years, I found the build quality of ASUS laptops and the overall quality control to be amazing, even for the cheaper laptops. My brother and my cousin both have been using Vivobook series since 2019, and I've been amazed by their build quality. Their body isn't flimsy like laptops from other companies. However, their after-sales service has always been lackluster and the escalations team is generally unhelpful too.

4. Acer, as mentioned above, has always had bad quality control for most of their series and has have bad after-sales support too. Although the Support experience varies with region, but generally when you escalate the issue, you get better experience. However, in Acer, even escalations don't guarantee better support, just like their another Taiwanese brother, ASUS.

5. You can go with either AMD or Intel chipsets, and can't get wrong with either of these. They are both great even for laptops. But don't go with the H series, as they are made for intensive tasks and hence are not recommended for laptops.

6. Ensure the battery capacity is at least 42Wh.

7. Ensure the laptop uses an Intel or Qualcomm WiFi and Bluetooth chipset. Don't go with one which uses Realtek. Although companies don't mention it anywhere in the specs list, but you can ask any fellow customer or visit a shop and look underneath the laptop. (Newer laptops might not have mentioned it)

8. Always buy one with NVMe SSD and at least 8GB RAM. (Thankfully, newer models are coming with SSD by default now.)

9. Get a display which is IPS, not TN. TN displays used in the laptops generally have very poor visuals. Also avoid OLED displays as they might have burn-in problems.

Many people I've encountered have expressed mostly negative opinions about Acer, and this sentiment has persisted for nearly a decade. There's a reason their laptops tend to be cheaper compared to other brands.

That being said, the durability of any laptop ultimately depends on luck. Even a flagship model can cause issues within a year if your luck isn't on your side.

From my experience in researching and recommending laptops for a decade:
1. Dell and Lenovo laptops (non-ThinkPad series) have poor quality control for the models sold to Asian and European markets. Dell used to be great earlier, but now they aren't so much. However, their after-sales service is really amazing though.

2. HP has consistently have poor build quality, but their laptops generally last longer and the service is really amazing too.

3. Since the past 5 years, I found the build quality of ASUS laptops and the overall quality control to be amazing, even for the cheaper laptops. My brother and my cousin both have been using Vivobook series since 2019, and I've been amazed by their build quality. Their body isn't flimsy like laptops from other companies. However, their after-sales service has always been lackluster and the escalations team is generally unhelpful too.

4. Acer, as mentioned above, has always had bad quality control for most of their series and has have bad after-sales support too. Although the Support experience varies with region, but generally when you escalate the issue, you get better experience. However, in Acer, even escalations don't guarantee better support, just like their another Taiwanese brother, ASUS.

5. You can go with either AMD or Intel chipsets, and can't get wrong with either of these. They are both great even for laptops. But don't go with the H series, as they are made for intensive tasks and hence are not recommended for laptops.

6. Ensure the battery capacity is at least 42Wh.

7. Ensure the laptop uses an Intel or Qualcomm WiFi and Bluetooth chipset. Don't go with one which uses Realtek. Although companies don't mention it anywhere in the specs list, but you can ask any fellow customer or visit a shop and look underneath the laptop. (Newer laptops might not have mentioned it)

8. Always buy one with NVMe SSD and at least 8GB RAM. (Thankfully, newer models are coming with SSD by default now.)

9. Get a display which is IPS, not TN. TN displays used in the laptops generally have very poor visuals. Also avoid OLED displays as they might have burn-in problems.
That's excellent and agree 👍. Asus also is in my radar.

Will look for acer or asus. Only question is if hoarding ASVs make sense or not. I will get ~6% discount with ASVs, if any other card beats this during that time?

even i too feel asus is best from all side
My European colleague, who is a software dev by profession and repairs laptops as part-time, mentioned the same thing. Even in his country, he experienced the same thing: Dell and Lenovo laptops dying sooner than expected, and HP and ASUS doing wonderful instead. However, Lenovo laptops sold to the US markets generally have excellent quality control.

And as I also mentioned, from my personal experience, I found ASUS to be really great. But, be wary of their after-sales support. You can't expect overall good quality and good after-sales support for any brand. It's always an either-or case.

One of my college mates had purchased a flagship HP laptop worth ₹96K in around 2017. Its build was so inferior it didn't feel like a ₹96K laptop. HP still makes laptops with flimsy build that feels like a paper when touched. Modern ASUS laptops (2018-Present) feel much stronger.

My cousin bought a Lenovo IdeaPad in 2020. I took hours to set it up and test it. It died the next day. Yes, fully dead in the second day! He returned it, and he was lucky that he found a much better laptop, an ASUS Vivobook M409, which he bought for ₹32K, and it still hasn't shown any problems. Even its build quality is so amazing it doesn't feel like a sheet of paper.

In 2022, he bought another Lenovo for his father for ₹42K, and even its build quality was very awful.

My European colleague, who is a software dev by profession and repairs laptops as part-time, mentioned the same thing. Even in his country, he experienced the same thing: Dell and Lenovo laptops dying sooner than expected, and HP and ASUS doing wonderful instead. However, Lenovo laptops sold to the US markets generally have excellent quality control.

And as I also mentioned, from my personal experience, I found ASUS to be really great. But, be wary of their after-sales support. You can't expect overall good quality and good after-sales support for any brand. It's always an either-or case.

One of my college mates had purchased a flagship HP laptop worth ₹96K in around 2017. Its build was so inferior it didn't feel like a ₹96K laptop. HP still makes laptops with flimsy build that feels like a paper when touched. Modern ASUS laptops (2018-Present) feel much stronger.

My cousin bought a Lenovo IdeaPad in 2020. I took hours to set it up and test it. It died the next day. Yes, fully dead in the second day! He returned it, and he was lucky that he found a much better laptop, an ASUS Vivobook M409, which he bought for ₹32K, and it still hasn't shown any problems. Even its build quality is so amazing it doesn't feel like a sheet of paper.

In 2022, he bought another Lenovo for his father for ₹42K, and even its build quality was very awful.
tbh it depends on luck 90%..people says poco is bad..and am using poco series from 2018..and i will continue in future too..same for laptop..it totally depends how u care ur device

tbh it depends on luck 90%..people says poco is bad..and am using poco series from 2018..and i will continue in future too..same for laptop..it totally depends how u care ur device
Because the "bad" phones started coming out from 2021. The dreaded POCO X3 being the champion. 😁 Even my cousin was a victim of it.

However, their current lineup don't have any known QA issues though.

Last edited:
In that case I will buy 16k asv over 3 months on Millenium DC which gives me 12.5% discount, the rest on my sbi cb cc anyways this does not have participate in offers
Isn't the option to pay with more than payment method, has been removed from Amazon??

Isn't the option to pay with more than payment method, has been removed from Amazon??
You can easily combine an Amazon Shopping Voucher with another payment method, but this is no longer possible with an Amazon Gift Card.

The key difference is that Amazon Gift Cards can be used for purchases on Amazon and other platforms like Swiggy, Blinkit, etc., while Amazon Shopping Vouchers are exclusively for shopping on Amazon.

Last edited:
You can club an Amazon Shopping Voucher with another payment method, but with an Amazon Gift Card, you can't do it anymore. Amazon Gift Cards can be used for any shopping purchases on both Amazon as well as other apps, but an Amazon Shopping Voucher can be used for shopping on Amazon only.

This is correct..

Case 1)
Paying with ASV + CC , SS below:

1723363857206.png

Case 2) AGV + CC -- Not allowed..
When trying to club AGV + CC, it is not allowing.. where as ASV is still enabled for part payment with CC..

1723364202104.png

In that case I will buy 16k asv over 3 months on Millenium DC which gives me 12.5% discount, the rest on my sbi cb cc anyways this does not have participate in offers
i will say buy the asv..dont add them..check the card disc..then use card for max disc..and extra money if require..add the asv..and pay.hue hue

Kyu return krne pe dete ni hai kya Bhai vapas shopping vouchers ye log ?
Dete toh hain wapis. But large amount dobara redeem karne ke liye again large purchase karna padega. Also, agar Amazon ne account block kar diya for any reasons, uski alag tension.

Back