• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Money sent by mistake

AsB

TF Legend
An amount of Rs 800/- was sent to me by someone in Bihar. As per this post, RBI allows to reverse such amounts, with consent from receiver. However, due to a similar fraud situation, I do not want to transfer money from my account using any methods.

Is there anything else that I can do?

Send him Rs 1 with a message to return the previous amount.

Tomorrow go to your bank and request for reversal. They will contact the guy in Bihar and ask for his/her permission for reversal.
If both of your banks are same then task is easy otherwise it will take some time

Send him Rs 1 with a message to return the previous amount.

Tomorrow go to your bank and request for reversal. They will contact the guy in Bihar and ask for his/her permission for reversal.
If both of your banks are same then task is easy otherwise it will take some time
Money was sent to my account by mistake. I want to transfer the amount back, without doing so directly (maybe through bank)

Money was sent to my account by mistake. I want to transfer the amount back, without doing so directly (maybe through bank)
Sorry, I did not read it properly. Inform your bank that you received the amount from an unknown source.

It's just the digital version of finding money on street. If someone claims it via proper channel, then return it. Till then wait.

An amount of Rs 800/- was sent to me by someone in Bihar. As per this post, RBI allows to reverse such amounts, with consent from receiver. However, due to a similar fraud situation, I do not want to transfer money from my account using any methods.

Is there anything else that I can do?
Sorry, I did not read it properly. Inform your bank that you received the amount from an unknown source.

It's just the digital version of finding money on street. If someone claims it via proper channel, then return it. Till then wait.
don't send him money directly. formally lodge a complaint with the bank first. you never know who the sender is so there should not be any transaction happening from your account to his. and as @Predator said, if someone reaches out to you, ask them to contact via proper channels.

Reactions: AsB
i would suggest not to go by this route. anyone doing a shady transaction (money laundering - layering step) would definitely do this kind of transaction to hide direct connection between 2 accounts.
That is one of the problems. The thing is, I don't know, if it was a genuine mistake. Because the money was sent via PhonePe. The number that the amount was sent to, was closed long before, as PhonePe does not allow to change the mobile number. They delete the old account to register the new one.
Also, while making payments in PhonePe, the name of the person is clearly visible as "Banking Name: <name here>".
That is why I am skeptical

Back