• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Rural Account Pros & Cons

kishorvr

TF Premier
  1. If I open my account in a rural location to take advantage of low amb/aqb, should you live in that particular rural location?
  2. Along with low amb/aqb, they may provide Rupay platinum debit card contrary to your wish to acquire select debit card. Can we not apply for a select dc later?
  3. Do rural accounts get credit card offers?
Please feel free to list some more pros and cons of opening bank accounts in rural locations.

You will not get credit card offers automatically. It would be hard for you to be approved for any CC also the limit would be less.

Banks are now very skeptical about issuing credit card with good limits at rural locations.

Also the branch employees will be Dumb AF. There will be very much crowd in the branch everytime. They won't treat you well. They will take time to get things done.
The list is very long.

Would suggest you to open an account in Tier III cities.

1. If I open my account in a rural location to take advantage of low amb/aqb, should you live in that particular rural location?
  2. Along with low amb/aqb, they may provide Rupay platinum debit card contrary to your wish to acquire select debit card. Can we not apply for a select dc later?
Please feel free to list some more pros and cons of opening bank accounts in rural locations.
1. No need, you can do kyc from your permanent address, give that rural address as communication address.

2. Yeah you can apply dc later.

3. Except hdfc, remaining banks won't offer cc in rural areas. Axis might give, by see networth and spends. Apay icici depends on luck.

Which bank you are asking for? PSU or private ?
In psu your closest branch should the home branch. As lot of work have to be done by visiting the branch & non-home branch might not help.
In private bank you can transfer to rural for low amb. Non home branch can do 95% of the stuff.
Some bank don't have home branch policy(idfc).

Yes you can apply for a debit card, but the process of applying debit cut might very from bank to bank.

I believe if you are applying for in credit card then your home address should be services.

Last edited:
1. No need, you can do kyc from your permanent address, give that rural address as communication address.

3. Except hdfc, remaining banks won't offer cc in rural areas. Axis might give, by see networth and spends. Apay icici depends on luck.
HDFC has become skeptical in issuing CC in rural areas. My friend's limit of 75k on his Millenia CC got slashed to 35k without any reason.

Ok, will it be accepted in rural locations, if we give permanent and communication address as address in metro cities (like if Aadhaar address is in metro location).

Ok, will it be accepted in rural locations, if we give permanent and communication address as address in metro cities (like if Aadhaar address is in metro location).
Many banks give you the option to choose Home Branch during the application process. If you choose Rural Branch, your AMB will be of Rural Area, that's it, no rocket science.

Otherwise, go to Rural Branch and apply by physical process, they will ask for address proof but it doesn't matter if it is of that particular village or not. This is what I have experienced.

Is there is a difference in attitude in PSU and private banks in rural locations?
PSU banks people are treated like shit, special in the rural area. And Branch will be filled by people to the brim. Because of all that jandhan account.😑

In private banks things much better. At least the acknowledge your existence. 😝

No problem,

They will just think that you work in that communication.

For vkyc, from any where in India you can do but some checks asks for first time users to do vkyc from kyc document address.

* Some Banks won't allow you to edit communication address like axis.

*several banks branches won't allow you to open ac in rural areas if you don't have address proof near to that branch area, not applicable for metro branches*.

PSU banks people are treated like shit, special in the rural area. And Branch will be filled by people to the brim. Because of all that jandhan account.😑

In private banks things much better. At least the acknowledge your existence.
Don't scold bank, it's because of that bank employees

Sankari job, who will scold them?

Only Rbi that too partially, (if have proof)

Nope. Have a lot of experience dealing with hdfc, axis, pnb and sbi. The attitude difference only comes when they see that the person coming in for something related to farming, then in private banks they treat you like a human being. In PSU, they still treat you like shit.
Let's reverse roles and see how sarkari bankers will do on the fields. Maybe they already wish they were farmers and not deal with the large crowd.

Bro me & you can complain to rbi.
99% of the people can't.

SBI employee take ₹2095 for insurance in the name of charges at the time of account opening.

They take it from the poorest of poor people. And this has been going in sbi for years. SBI haven't take any action.

*PSU Bank employees are not government employees.

Government have majority stake in that particular bank so they have influence over its administration and management, that's it. They don't want much profit from their investment so they don't pressurize the employees for targets unlike private banks.

When I opened account in SBI 10 years ago, I remember taking a little sheet of paper with numbers and waiting. This is in Banashankari, Bangalore. For the past two years, I have visited my branch thrice and I did not take the number. I stood in line for not more than 10 minutes. But one banker spoke rudely as if she wished she was somewhere else. I can only imagine what happens in rural branches.

Bro me & you can complain to rbi.
99% of the people can't.

SBI employee take ₹2095 for insurance in the name of charges at the time of account opening.

They take it from the poorest of poor people. And this has been going in sbi for years. SBI haven't take any action.
Sad but true. They mis-sell this insurance to poor people at the time of account opening. They have no other option but to accept the charges and move on.

They also open demat account without permission.

Back