• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Cashback credit card official benefits revised w.e.f. 1st May 2023

BhaiyaJi

TF Legend
REVISION OF BENEFITS ON CASHBACK SBI CARD:

With effect from 01 May 2023, following changes will be applicable on your CASHBACK SBI Card:

A. Below categories will not be eligible for Cashback benefit, apart from existing exclusions:

CategoryMerchant Category Code (MCC)
Jewelry5051, 5094, 5944, 7631
School & Educational Services5111, 5192, 5942, 5943, 8211, 8220, 8241, 8244, 8249, 8299, 8351
Utilities4814, 4900, 9399, 4816, 4899
Insurance Services5960, 6300, 6381
Card, Gift, Novelty & Souvenir Shops5947
Member Financial Institution/Quasi Cash6011, 6012, 6051
Railways4011, 4112

The Merchant Category Codes are defined by the Networks and are subjected to change basis their discretion and such changes shall be implemented basis communication from the Networks without any requirement for intimation/information to the customers.

B. Maximum Cashback that can be earned on online & offline spends in a statement cycle will be capped at `5000.

C. Complimentary Domestic Airport Lounge benefit will be discontinued.

screenshot_2023-03-31-12-31-57-784_com-google-android-apps-docs-edit-jpg.13045

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
but isn't "AMAZON PAY INDIA PRIVATET" considered as utility merchant mostly? Because Amazon Pay is used for utilities, bill payments and insurance only.. and all of these categories are excluded.. am I missing something?
Yes.
You are missing a Very Important thing, that is MCC-Merchant Category Code.

Banks give Cashback/RP on the Basis of MCC not on the Basis of Merchant Name.

Recharged jio and vi directly through their apps and no cashback received for both payments. Transactions are showing paytm_VodafoneIndia and paytm payments even though both recharges were done directly through VI app and MyJio app. This is getting ridiculous now.

Edit: does recharge come under utility? What about uber, swiggy and zomato?
Recharge is utility. Uber, Swiggy and Zomato will give 5%.

I'm purchasing from other accounts just accumulating in one account.
That's not the reason, which you are telling 🥲🤣
Currently have 80k AGC in the ACC I shown above. That account is just for adding AGC.

Have purchased from three different account, all of them allowed only 20k (After that cc option vanished)
Did the CC option come back after some months or it's permanent?

but isn't "AMAZON PAY INDIA PRIVATET" considered as utility merchant mostly? Because Amazon Pay is used for utilities, bill payments and insurance only.. and all of these categories are excluded.. am I missing something?
I got CB with that merchant for AGC purchase. That means the MCC shouldn't be Gift Card or Utility.

merchant name is not important, it's all about the MCC.
There can be a few exceptions to this, but mostly merchant name is linked to the same MCC only if it's done for the same category of tnx. For example, PAYZAPP BILLDESK NON BMUM... is tagged as Insurance for Rent/CC bill payments for everyone, so it's much easier to identify rewards based on that, rather than calling Customer Care everytime to check MCC

There can be a few exceptions to this, but mostly merchant name is linked to the same MCC only if it's done for the same category of tnx. For example, PAYZAPP BILLDESK NON BMUM... is tagged as Insurance for Rent/CC bill payments for everyone, so it's much easier to identify rewards based on that, rather than calling Customer Care everytime to check MCC
Agreed!! But for SBI, you don't even have to call, and they won't reveal the MCC over a call. Just send a message through the app, and they will tell you the MCC.

Plus, I believe it's better to identify the MCC this way. At least the person will know whether they are eligible for CB or not.

Agreed!! But for SBI, you don't even have to call, and they won't reveal the MCC over a call. Just send a message through the app, and they will tell you the MCC.

Plus, I believe it's better to identify the MCC this way. At least the person will know whether they are eligible for CB or not.
Yes, but I would certainly like to know if I am eligible for CB before doing the tnx itself. So if I see that particular merchant name, I will go ahead with the tnx without any doubts. Otherwise, I will ask in the forum here before proceeding.

Yes, but I would certainly like to know if I am eligible for CB before doing the tnx itself. So if I see that particular merchant name, I will go ahead with the tnx without any doubts. Otherwise, I will ask in the forum here before proceeding.
Considering that the person in question has already completed the transaction, wouldn't it be more beneficial to inquire about the MCC from SBI? There is a possibility that the MCC might have changed, and by doing so, others could also become aware of any potential updates.

Guys, has SBI stopped giving 5% cashback done on paytm murchant link? I did 1,000 Rs. txn after generating payment link from my paytm business app and paid through my SBI cashback cc, didn't get any cashback on that.....

Back