• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Debit Card: Reward FAQs Updated

Another Question: can we get statement credit for the reward points?
Not at all. I have never seen a debit card giving cash redemption.

The only way you can use it is, move to SBI site and redeem these points to pay your CC bill. But remember to divide the points by 4 and pay the same amount to CC because part payments not allowed. So indirectly it is like cash redemption. Visit https://rewardz.sbi and under recharge/bill payment select all services. There you see option to pay for CC. For other bills you can choose to pay in parts like points and over and above payment via debit card.

Not at all. I have never seen a debit card giving cash redemption.

The only way you can use it is, move to SBI site and redeem these points to pay your CC bill. But remember to divide the points by 4 and pay the same amount to CC because part payments not allowed. So indirectly it is like cash redemption. Visit https://rewardz.sbi and under recharge/bill payment select all services. There you see option to pay for CC. For other bills you can choose to pay in parts like points and over and above payment via debit card.
Last time I redeemed these points were as statement credit back in 2017...

Last time I redeemed these points were as statement credit back in 2017...
Are you sure it was DC not CC? DCs mostly allowed it for Bill payments, recharges etc. Maybe SBI reward had that feature before and I can't tell much as in 2017, I was more inclined towards CC rewards.

Can we retain accounts and cancel the debit cards? If so, how do we go about it? Is blocking the debit card sufficient? UPI is already set up, so that shouldn't be an issue, but is Aadhaar based UPI there in SBI?

The reason I ask is that in my family, we have 4 SBI accounts; each is being debited 236/year for debit card charges. We have plenty of other bank accounts from which we can perform unlimited withdrawals and have no debit card fees.

Can we retain accounts and cancel the debit cards? If so, how do we go about it? Is blocking the debit card sufficient? UPI is already set up, so that shouldn't be an issue, but is Aadhaar based UPI there in SBI?

The reason I ask is that in my family, we have 4 SBI accounts; each is being debited 236/year for debit card charges. We have plenty of other bank accounts from which we can perform unlimited withdrawals and have no debit card fees.
Yes, you can permanently block debit card and it's gone forever from your account. It won't affect accounts. Debit cards are linked to account not vice-versa. SBI allows setting up UPI PIN or reset using Aadhaar albeit Aadhaar is properly linked to savings account and that mobile number doesn't exist in 2 different Cust IDs. Also Aadhaar linked mobile number and SBI account mobile no. should be same too.

Later generate a virtual debit card from Netbanking/App and use it for eCOM. It works just like normal debit card.

Only disadvantage is if you forget Netbanking password/App PIN, you will need to visit branch to reset it as debit card is only option to reset and it asks for 4 digit PIN too it and with Virtual card you can't set PIN. I tried to set PIN for Virtual card but it gives error only. So keep that in mind.

Last edited:
I paid credit card bill, electric bill through mobikwik from SBI debit card. After 14 days I contact customer care. They said that Mobikwik transactions do not earn any rewards. When you ask them for MCC code, they say only one thing, all transactions made from mobikwik will not be rewarded in wallet category. They can't say anything about MCC code.

I paid credit card bill, electric bill through mobikwik from SBI debit card. After 14 days I contact customer care. They said that Mobikwik transactions do not earn any rewards. When you ask them for MCC code, they say only one thing, all transactions made from mobikwik will not be rewarded in wallet category. They can't say anything about MCC code.
What was your SBI card variant? If you could write the full name like SBI IOCL RuPay Platinum (this is just for example, yours might be different)

I got SBI rewardz points for paying CC bill via Mobikwik this month. This was my birthday month, so it was 2X.

আপনার এসবিআই কার্ডের বৈকল্পিক কি ছিল? আপনি যদি সম্পূর্ণ নাম লিখতে পারেন যেমন SBI IOCL RuPay Platinum (এটি শুধুমাত্র উদাহরণের জন্য, আপনার আলাদা হতে পারে)
I have a RuPay virtual debit card.

Oh bhai, virtual DC has per day limit. Daily Purchase Limit e-Com: Rs. 50,000/-

Open your eyes and read https://sbi.co.in/web/personal-banking/cards/debit-card/sbi-virtual-debit-card

• Name of Card: SBI Virtual Debit Card
  • Type of Card: Global at RuPay / VISA / MasterCard
  • Issuance criteria: To be issued in normal Saving Bank Account( Non-FI) segment.
  • Usages:
    • International and Domestic Channels : e-Com, Contactless (Device Tokenisation payment through Google Pay & Samsung pay)
    • Contactless payment facility : Available through Near field communication (NFC) enabled Android mobile phones.
      Presently, available in MasterCard and VISA Debit Cards
  • Daily Cash Limit at ATMs : Nil
  • Contactless limit for Tokenised payments : Maximum: Rs. 5,000/- per transactions
  • Daily Purchase Limit e-Com: Rs. 50,000/-
  • Validity : 5 years
  • Issuance Fee for Virtual Card: Nil
  • Annual Maintenance Charges: Nil
  • SBI Rewardz:
    • Cardholders will get two reward points for every Rs. 200/- spent on Point of Sale/e-Commerce.
    • Bonus Points : Customer will earn: 200 bonus points if the customers perform three PoS/ e-Com transactions in the month of issuance.
  • Product Features :
    • Instant generation of Debit card
    • Used for PoS transaction (Contactless) through Android mobile phones
    • Usage for e-Com, International, E-mandate
    • Free of charge
    • Nil AMC
    • Green Banking: No use of plastic and card chip

Additional Information:

• Card will be instantly generated on clicking confirmation button for issuance of Virtual Debit Card
  • No physical card will be issued for the virtual card.
  • No. of Virtual Debit Card issued in an account per customer- 1 (One) Customer can permanently block existing Virtual debit Card and request for new Virtual Debit Card.
  • Number of times request can be made in a year for Virtual Debit Card through online channels – 5 (Five)
  • Card Tokenization Service (e.g., Samsung Pay, Google pay) for NFC transaction is available on Master Card and Visa Network. Currently, Android mobile phone having NFC capability support Card Tokenisation services.
  • Virtual Debit Card cannot be used for Cash Withdrawal
Re-read that page, they have updated it. Earn 4 Reward Points per Rs.200 spent online or in-store with your SBI Virtual Debit Card.
If you are still getting .25% for virtual card?

Maybe the MCC of SBI Card app is that of CC which won't fetch rewards anyways. Better use SBI Unipay or there are 2-3 others.

I have 50K to pay for cashback card this month. Just to confirm, paid 1K at SBICard app few mins back and will respond to you in next 3-4 days whether 10 pts come or not.
Why not using RBL signature+ or HDFC platinum DC? They give flat 1% cashback? Why to settle for .5% that too with uncertainty?

Why not using RBL signature+ or HDFC platinum DC? They give flat 1% cashback? Why to settle for .5% that too with uncertainty?
Not everybody have these cards. Instead of HDFC Platinum 1% I am more comfortable with Millennia DC 2.5%. 75K bills every month is not possible for many. It is only between Jun-Sept that my bills are too high along with family due to tax payments and insurance payments otherwise regularly it is just bills or sometimes travel tickets.

Waiting for IDFC Select Acc. upgarde by keeping balance there too.

Re-read that page, they have updated it. Earn 4 Reward Points per Rs.200 spent online or in-store with your SBI Virtual Debit Card.
If you are still getting .25% for virtual card?
Yeah. They have updated it. But sometimes we get bonus and sometimes not. Hit or miss kind of thing. last month also txns worth Rs.80K didn't fetched bonus while other smaller ones were given. This month it is 1X+1X on VDC.

Seems like SBI wants people to use free Virtual Cards then Physical. They should have given it to paying card customers instead. Now officially it is 0.50% but it can again become 0.25% in future. They keep giving and stopping it.

Back