• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Schengen Visa question: Can I enter Schengen area in a different country than the country which issued me visa?

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I'll tell you a story ,make of it what you will

Last year a family friend took Schengen Visa from Greece but took flight to Paris via Istanbul on turkish ,they were a family of 4 ,Hurband(Well to do businessman) ,wife and 2 Daughter (mid 20s) ,this was their first time to europe ,

They were deniad boarding from Istanbul to Paris flight and were sent back to Mumbai on next available flight ,airline sais their visa was canceled and Authorities at Paris Airport told not let them board

Now this could be a freak incident or there maybe a particular reason,

But bottomline is if it's your first time to a western country ,better to be safe with these things then sorry

P.s. the guy is now looking for an immigration lawyer to find out what happened and how to fix it ,he might not be able to get another Schengen visa in his life

After traveling to many countries, some multiple times, I found that the Immigration Authorities are helpful and accomodative, as long as we are not hiding any material facts, we are not trying to cheat or violate any rules of entry or stay.

Genuine travellers are not put to inconvenience to the extent possible. But if you start pulling a fast one on them, they know how to make your trip miserable.

So, be careful, be truthful n be well informed.

CD.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I'll tell you a story ,make of it what you will

Last year a family friend took Schengen Visa from Greece but took flight to Paris via Istanbul on turkish ,they were a family of 4 ,Hurband(Well to do businessman) ,wife and 2 Daughter (mid 20s) ,this was their first time to europe ,

They were deniad boarding from Istanbul to Paris flight and were sent back to Mumbai on next available flight ,airline sais their visa was canceled and Authorities at Paris Airport told not let them board

Now this could be a freak incident or there maybe a particular reason,

But bottomline is if it's your first time to a western country ,better to be safe with these things then sorry

P.s. the guy is now looking for an immigration lawyer to find out what happened and how to fix it ,he might not be able to get another Schengen visa in his life
thats why foreigners loathe indians. Always trying to cheat the systems

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
thats why foreigners loathe indians. Always trying to cheat the systems
How is this cheating ,greek visa is easier to get and BOM - CDG via IST was cheaper flight ,they did eventually planned to go to greece ,with hotels booked and everything

Foreigners always suspect we're upto something, even when our intentions are strictly honourable

CD.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
How is this cheating ,greek visa is easier to get and BOM - CDG via IST was cheaper flight ,they did eventually planned to go to greece ,with hotels booked and everything

Foreigners always suspect we're upto something, even when our intentions are strictly honourable
Did they show paris tickets when applying to greece visa?

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Did they show paris tickets when applying to greece visa?
Not sure ,is tkts required to apply for visa ?

I got my American visa ,10 yr multiple entry without any tkts to show ,back 2018

But never went to europe ,so idea about schengen visa

CD.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Not sure ,is tkts required to apply for visa ?

I got my American visa ,10 yr multiple entry without any tkts to show ,back 2018

But never went to europe ,so idea about schengen visa
not needed for USA

Needed for EU

Agreed. But, have they declared all their trip details forehand ? If the air tickets, hotel bookings are genuine n made well in advance and paid/confirmed, you need to apply n get visa from the country in which you spend max nights in your trip. That's the big rule you must not break or violate. Getting easy visas might not be good idea.

Reactions: CD.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Agreed. But, have they declared all their trip details forehand ? If the air tickets, hotel bookings are genuine n made well in advance and paid/confirmed, you need to apply n get visa from the country in which you spend max nights in your trip. That's the big rule you must not break or violate. Getting easy visas might not be good idea.
They did plan on staying most in greece ,

But they didn't get a chance to explian theur case ,as nobody was present at IST airport except Turkish employees who refused boarding

Even if you are applying AGAIN for the same country, even though you knew their rules, STILL read ALL the rules, as of now, and strictly go by them. Not based on your previous experience or by hearsay. Or, by what those travel agents say. Those jokers have nothing to lose.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Even if you are applying AGAIN for the same country, even though you knew their rules, STILL read ALL the rules, as of now, and strictly go by them. Not based on your previous experience or by hearsay. Or, by what those travel agents say. Those jokers have nothing to lose.
My dad actually told them to land in greece rather then anywhere else ,but the travel agent was sure it doesn't matter ,convinced them to fly to paris

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
After traveling to many countries, some multiple times, I found that the Immigration Authorities are helpful and accomodative, as long as we are not hiding any material facts, we are not trying to cheat or violate any rules of entry or stay.
I think it depends on the individual. But in general, most immigration officers I've come across were pretty chill. As you said, as long as our intentions are right, they won't have a problem opening doors to their country. But there are some naughty officers too. Most of them can be found in land borders. :p
Africa is a nightmare if you plan on visiting many countries via road. I planned an do a road trip a while back across several countries with a friend who lives in Kenya, but after the things he told me to be prepared for, I saved this idea for the last. I heard the officers openly ask for bribes in Cambodian Airports as well, but I didn't face any harassment (maybe because I was travelling with family).
This is quite common. This is why I advise people to always stick to their itinerary. I think your friend made the mistake of not including Greece in their travel plan at all! Even if there was a deviation in the itinerary, if he had the necessary bookings for Greece, they might've allowed him to fly into Paris. It is vital to always visit the country that issued you the Schengen visa.

telescope

TF Ace
I think it depends on the individual. But in general, most immigration officers I've come across were pretty chill. As you said, as long as our intentions are right, they won't have a problem opening doors to their country. But there are some naughty officers too. Most of them can be found in land borders. :p
Africa is a nightmare if you plan on visiting many countries via road. I planned an do a road trip a while back across several countries with a friend who lives in Kenya, but after the things he told me to be prepared for, I saved this idea for the last. I heard the officers openly ask for bribes in Cambodian Airports as well, but I didn't face any harassment (maybe because I was travelling with family).
Most of the immigration officers I encountered were very chill. I have seen some youtubers complaining about lengthy questioning at jakarta, and I was prepared for such scenario. But when I went, the officer didn't utter a single word. Gave him passport, he pasted a sticker VoA qr code, and pointed me to look at the camera and then nodded his head. Not a single word exchanged.

Malaysia I went without prior visa. At the VoA office, there were few Indian and Bangladeshi national. One Indian asked who was waiting there said he was being asked to produce paid hotel accommodation and also printout of that. I was worried because I neither had printout nor paid accommodation. I selected pay at property while booking. Nevertheless when the officer called me, he asked "why have you come here?", I said "visa on arrival". He gave me a form. Filled it, and asked him for adhesive to paste photo. He said photo not required. Visa fee of 200 ringgit paid by cc (cash not accepted). He asked me to sit a while. I was asked how long I would stay that's all. Was not asked to show any documents, not even return ticket. And within 5 mins I was issues VoA. And all these time the bangladeshi national was complaining that he was waiting for more than 2 hours after having sticker visa.

So I guess immigration officers after dealing with thousands of passengers have a fair idea about who is travelling on genuine purpose and who is not.

Sub saharan African countries are notorious for bribery. Same goes for Laos-Cambodia border and also India-Bangladesh to some extent. Customs officers are corrupt to core in bangladesh.

it might sound bad or racist but this is my observation so take this as strictly as personal opinion.

always avoid going to women/ senior citizen immigration officer specially balkan countries, i have been to multiple windows and women officer always have questions with an attitude which i can't tolerate.

imo, guys are chill and don't usually make things complicated. they will stick to the point assuming you are genuine.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I heard the officers openly ask for bribes in Cambodian Airports as well, but I didn't face any harassment (maybe because I was travelling with family).
I've once paid 1000 bhat to a thai immigration officer to give me visa on arrival at phuket airport, but that was more then half a dacade ago ,things might have changed by now

Last edited:
it might sound bad or racist but this is my observation so take this as strictly as personal opinion.

always avoid going to women/ senior citizen immigration officer specially balkan countries, i have been to multiple windows and women officer always have questions with an attitude which i can't tolerate.

imo, guys are chill and don't usually make things complicated. they will stick to the point assuming you are genuine.

On both occassions for getting our US Visas - in Madras/Chennai - we were allotted to lady officers (supposedly extremely tough).

After the usual exchange of Good Morning greetings, those ladies were very polite n to the point. And was done with the job within 2-3 minutes. Pleasant experiences.

All they want is precise n relevant replies/dox. And, a cool n composed dealings from our side.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Most of the immigration officers I encountered were very chill. I have seen some youtubers complaining about lengthy questioning at jakarta, and I was prepared for such scenario. But when I went, the officer didn't utter a single word. Gave him passport, he pasted a sticker VoA qr code, and pointed me to look at the camera and then nodded his head. Not a single word exchanged.

Malaysia I went without prior visa. At the VoA office, there were few Indian and Bangladeshi national. One Indian asked who was waiting there said he was being asked to produce paid hotel accommodation and also printout of that. I was worried because I neither had printout nor paid accommodation. I selected pay at property while booking. Nevertheless when the officer called me, he asked "why have you come here?", I said "visa on arrival". He gave me a form. Filled it, and asked him for adhesive to paste photo. He said photo not required. Visa fee of 200 ringgit paid by cc (cash not accepted). He asked me to sit a while. I was asked how long I would stay that's all. Was not asked to show any documents, not even return ticket. And within 5 mins I was issues VoA. And all these time the bangladeshi national was complaining that he was waiting for more than 2 hours after having sticker visa.

So I guess immigration officers after dealing with thousands of passengers have a fair idea about who is travelling on genuine purpose and who is not.

Sub saharan African countries are notorious for bribery. Same goes for Laos-Cambodia border and also India-Bangladesh to some extent. Customs officers are corrupt to core in bangladesh.
Indonesian officials are super cool with Indians. When I visited, I didn't even utter a word. I just gave my passport and the voa slip, they stamped it, and I was on my way. XD
Thankfully, I've never had any sour experience as such so far. I just had some heated exchange once in Thailand, when they insisted I go onto the Fastrack line, but that's about it.