• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UK Transit Visa for Schengen Visa Holders

CCPS

TF Buzz
Scenario 1: I have a British Airways flight from Italy ( VCE) to BLR with a layover of 4 hours in London (LHR). Have a valid Schengen visa issued by Switzerland. Do I need a transit visa (DATV) of UK?

Scenario 2: Do I need transit visa if I have a NZ visa?

Scenario 1: I have a British Airways flight from Italy ( VCE) to BLR with a layover of 4 hours in London (LHR). Have a valid Schengen visa issued by Switzerland. Do I need a transit visa (DATV) of UK?

1. Yes you need transit visa
2. You still need transit visa of UK

Mark as solution if you find this answer helpful.

1. Yes you need transit visa
2. You still need transit visa of UK

Mark as solution if you find this answer helpful.
For Scenario 2, UK Govt website says otherwise:

You do not need a Direct Airside Transit visa if you have one of the following:
  • a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 2.37.45 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 2.37.45 PM.webp
    101.2 KB · Views: 7
For Scenario 2, UK Govt website says otherwise:

• a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
Contact airline once.

UK is no longer a Schengen country.

If you have valid US visa, then you can transit upto 24 hours in UK
I believe, not only US visa but also either of US, Canada, Aus or NZ.

Need confirmation on same, if somebody has transited on one of these visas via LHR.

u don't need transit visa , you will be in international transit area in Heathrow Airport,
you are not required to do immigration in london, as you are not exiting international area
your immigration will be done in Venice and on return in BLR .
you can mark this post as solution

You can mark this post as solution

u don't need transit visa , you will be in international transit area in Heathrow Airport,
you are not required to do immigration in london, as you are not exiting international area
your immigration will be done in Venice and on return in BLR .
you can mark this post as solution

You can mark this post as solution
Not a solution. Many countries like USA, EU countries (except france) do not allow Indians to transit without visa even for international to international sectors.

we are talking about UK , as per UK immigration rules, I gave info.

Exemptions:-​

a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
Not a solution. Many countries like USA, EU countries (except france) do not allow Indians to transit without visa even for international to international sectors.

Last edited:
UK is no longer a Schengen country.

If you have valid US visa, then you can transit upto 24 hours in UK
The UK was never a part of the Schengen treaty. A visa was always required.
And a transit visa is required. Use this link to check if applicable-> https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
But as a safety measure, I request OP to confer with the airline regarding this, as I'm not sure about the current situation.

Last edited:

Scenario 1: I have a British Airways flight from Italy ( VCE) to BLR with a layover of 4 hours in London (LHR). Have a valid Schengen visa issued by Switzerland. Do I need a transit visa (DATV) of UK?​

He is traveling from Schengen Area
(a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa) is applicable to him.

(I myself have traveled multiple times.)

You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit​

You normally need a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.

Exemptions​

• a permanent resident visa issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a permanent resident card issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to a Schengen country
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

E-visas or e-residence permits are not acceptable unless your airline is able to verify it with the issuing country. Contact your airline for more information.

Your answers​

Start again

What’s your nationality as shown on your passport or travel document? India Change
What are you coming to the UK to do? Transit (on your way to somewhere else) Change Where are you travelling to? Somewhere else Change Will you pass through UK border control? No Change

Back