• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Unexpected Convenience Fees with SBI RuPay Platinum JCB Debit Card (Friday Offer)

6ix9ine

TF Ace
Hey guys, today is Friday and I went to Amazon to pay my electricity bill.

To my surprise, I noticed that my SBI RuPay Platinum JCB card is being considered as a 'CREDIT CARD' instead of 'DEBIT CARD' and incurs convenience fees of 1.18% when paying my electricity bill.

I tried talking to customer care, explaining everything to them, but they were clueless and took 30-45 minutes of my time without any resolution.

I have a question for everyone who holds this specific debit card variant:

Could you please check if your debit card is also being considered as credit card? Are you also being charged convenience fees?

Thanks in advance.

//Edit on: 16/08/2024
S. No.​
Utility Name​
Convenience Charge on SBI RuPay Platinum JCB (Y/N)​
(1)​
Electricity​
Y
(2)​
Landline/Broadband​
Y
(3)​
Postpaid​
Y
(4)​
Water​
-​
(5)​
Municipal Services​
-​
(6)​
Municipal Tax​
-​
(7)​
Cable TV​
-​
(8)​
Education Fees​
-​
(9)​
Piped Gas​
-​

Last edited:
do NOT check with 1999. Even for me it shows 1899 and thats why i reported earlier they may have solved it. but NO.
Check with lower amounts like 235 or 588 and select rupay, then you may see the convinence fees. Just check once without recharging

Further Research. on mobile recharges even if i test pay of 589 to airtel, it is not showing any convinence fees. But for bill payments like broadband, postpaid it is showing convinence fees. Prepaid recharges do not have any convinence fees.

"Convenience fees is applicable on the following categories - Electricity, Landline/Broadband, Postpaid, Water, Municipal Services, Municipal Tax, Cable TV, Education Fees, Piped Gas."

Actually the core problem is not resolved. Unlike other Rupay debit cards, Amazon is wrongly adding convinience fee to SBI rupay-jcb.

Last edited:
Strange, no fees on both amounts for me. Can you check cable TV? for example DTH. Do you see fees there?
i just updated my original post. on prepaid even with lower amounts there is no convinence fee across all cards. for aiirtel DTH recharge there is no convinence fee. For Airtel broadband payment, there is convinence fee. for jio postpaid, convinence fee is there

anything with bbps stamp is getting convenience fee it seems
Very interesting, anyways I've created a table in the first post, and I'll update the electricity section by the end of this month. As for the other sections, I'm not sure since I don't pay any of them through Amazon.

S. No​
Utility Name​
(1)​
Electricity​
Y
(2)​
Landline/Broadband​
Y
(3)​
Postpaid​
Y
(4)​
Water​
-​
(5)​
Municipal Services​
-​
(6)​
Municipal Tax​
-​
(7)​
Cable TV​
-​
(8)​
Education Fees​
-​
(9)​
Piped Gas​
-​

Last edited:
Very interesting, anyways I've created a table in the first post, and I'll update the electricity section by the end of this month. As for the other sections, I'm not sure since I don't pay any of them through Amazon.

S. No​
Utility Name​
(1)​
Electricity​
Y
(2)​
Landline/Broadband​
Y
(3)​
Postpaid​
Y
(4)​
Water​
-​
(5)​
Municipal Services​
-​
(6)​
Municipal Tax​
-​
(7)​
Cable TV​
-​
(8)​
Education Fees​
-​
(9)​
Piped Gas​
-​
Didn't realized that I had used both my ICICI Platinum Rupay Debit Card (Discover Network) and SBI Platinum Rupay Debit card (JCB network) on 30th Aug'24 for broadband and Electricity bill pmt, and i also ended up paying up convenience fee on SBI card, this is definitely an issue still not resolved yet.

Didn't realized that I had used both my ICICI Platinum Rupay Debit Card (Discover Network) and SBI Platinum Rupay Debit card (JCB network) on 30th Aug'24 for broadband and Electricity bill pmt, and i also ended up paying up convenience fee on SBI card, this is definitely an issue still not resolved yet.
Sad, nothing can be done. Amazon is clueless, and I'm tired by explaining them simple TnC.

You are on wrong thread my friend, search your query in rupay select threads instead.
Bro check the screenshot which I have attached. Bms offers this for rupay platinum and select both variants. But when u type the 16 digit number of jcb rupay platinum it doesn't allow. I had even mailed sbi customer care but they told me to approach branch which I knew branch officials wont even know about. So dropped the idea

Bro check the screenshot which I have attached. Bms offers this for rupay platinum and select both variants. But when u type the 16 digit number of jcb rupay platinum it doesn't allow. I had even mailed sbi customer care but they told me to approach branch which I knew branch officials wont even know about. So dropped the idea
Ahh I see, well I honestly never used it on BMS and customer care don't know about the JCB variant. Branch is your only viable option.

Ahh I see, well I honestly never used it on BMS and customer care don't know about the JCB variant. Branch is your only viable option.
Many ppl who have this variant aren't aware of this offer from BMS but there's some technical glitch in BMS systems I guess because of which it doesn't detect this card

Many ppl who have this variant aren't aware of this offer from BMS but there's some technical glitch in BMS systems I guess because of which it doesn't detect this card
Could be possible, same goes for amazon. They started considering this DC as CC after they implemented convenience fees on CC and I tried to explain them, that this is actually DC, but all they have to say is "sorry, we don't know"

Back