• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Unexpected Convenience Fees with SBI RuPay Platinum JCB Debit Card (Friday Offer)

6ix9ine

TF Ace
Hey guys, today is Friday and I went to Amazon to pay my electricity bill.

To my surprise, I noticed that my SBI RuPay Platinum JCB card is being considered as a 'CREDIT CARD' instead of 'DEBIT CARD' and incurs convenience fees of 1.18% when paying my electricity bill.

I tried talking to customer care, explaining everything to them, but they were clueless and took 30-45 minutes of my time without any resolution.

I have a question for everyone who holds this specific debit card variant:

Could you please check if your debit card is also being considered as credit card? Are you also being charged convenience fees?

Thanks in advance.

//Edit on: 16/08/2024
S. No.​
Utility Name​
Convenience Charge on SBI RuPay Platinum JCB (Y/N)​
(1)​
Electricity​
Y
(2)​
Landline/Broadband​
Y
(3)​
Postpaid​
Y
(4)​
Water​
-​
(5)​
Municipal Services​
-​
(6)​
Municipal Tax​
-​
(7)​
Cable TV​
-​
(8)​
Education Fees​
-​
(9)​
Piped Gas​
-​

Last edited:
Could be possible, same goes for amazon. They started considering this DC as CC after they implemented convenience fees on CC and I tried to explain them, that this is actually DC, but all they have to say is "sorry, we don't know"
Since this card has not been publicised much by sbi no one in general doesn't know about this dc...even sbi staff also leave aside general public

Here, my credit card used to be recognized as DC in past and @6ix9ine having best time of life with a DC being treated as CC by AmyJohn.

But how come RuPay variant is asking for extra convenience fee? Seems like problem is with Amazon bin hash detection system. Don't worry bro, soon every cc/dc will have extra fee and we will be happily paying it. Till then use RuPay platinum and forget you have JCB. Keep it for airports.

Here, my credit card used to be recognized as DC in past and @6ix9ine having best time of life with a DC being treated as CC by AmyJohn.
Nah bro 🤣, it's not good. AmyJohn is charging me on fridays, so now if I want to use SBI JCB rupay platinum, I have to use it for a bill around 500ish so, I can still get around 94ish cashback. (including convenience fees)

But how come RuPay variant is asking for extra convenience fee? Seems like problem is with Amazon bin hash detection system. Don't worry bro, soon every cc/dc will have extra fee and we will be happily paying it. Till then use RuPay platinum and forget you have JCB. Keep it for airports.
Because it's getting detected as Credit card instead of Debit card, AmyJohn has started charging convenience fees on CC payment option.

Yes, for now I'm using my other platinum DCs on friday until every dc/cc gets charged with fees 😅

Could be possible, same goes for amazon. They started considering this DC as CC after they implemented convenience fees on CC and I tried to explain them, that this is actually DC, but all they have to say is "sorry, we don't know"
Update I talked to the customer care and told them that rupay card doesn't take convinence fee. He acknowledged and refunded 10 rs instead of 8.5 rs. He said maybe technical glitch for newly implemented system so it can takr time to fix.Said he cannot directly issue refund for this transaction but refunded on basis of another order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904_230738.webp
    Screenshot_20240904_230738.webp
    241.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240904_204307.webp
    Screenshot_20240904_204307.webp
    276.5 KB · Views: 4
Bro check the screenshot which I have attached. Bms offers this for rupay platinum and select both variants. But when u type the 16 digit number of jcb rupay platinum it doesn't allow. I had even mailed sbi customer care but they told me to approach branch which I knew branch officials wont even know about. So dropped the idea
@Abhishek012 bhai yeh dekhna zara BMS ka 🤔
Arey jaise mai logo ko samjha samjha k thak gaya hu ki HDFC Platinum and RuPay Platinum dono alag alag card hai.

Same SBI Platinum and RuPay Platinum dono alag card hai.

BMS offer eligible on SBI Platinum debit card, available on RuPay Platinum platform and RuPay Select platform.

Here BMS offer eligible card pics -

This silver color card is SBI Platinum card, available on RuPay Select platform -

Offer eligible card BINs are - 652374, 652375, 652410, 652418

cfyft.webp

Arey jaise mai logo ko samjha samjha k thak gaya hu ki HDFC Platinum and RuPay Platinum dono alag alag card hai.

Same SBI Platinum and RuPay Platinum dono alag card hai.

BMS offer eligible on SBI Platinum debit card, available on RuPay Platinum platform and RuPay Select platform.

Here BMS offer eligible card pics -

This silver color card is SBI Platinum card, available on RuPay Select platform -

Offer eligible card BINs are - 652374, 652375, 652410, 652418

View attachment 67507
Bro sbi platinum jcb is also on rupay platinum platform only... All rupay debit and credit cards are on 3 variants classic, platinum and select only. Read the screenshot it says platinum sbi rupay dc
So all the rupay dc issued in platinum variant should be eligible for the BMS offer

Bro sbi platinum jcb is also on rupay platinum platform only... All rupay debit and credit cards are on 3 variants classic, platinum and select only. Read the screenshot it says platinum sbi rupay dc
So all the rupay dc issued in platinum variant should be eligible for the BMS offer
No, Bro, I can't explain it. I haven't been able to make people understand in the last 10 years that HDFC Platinum and RuPay Platinum are two different things.

Similarly, SBI Platinum and RuPay Platinum are also different.

Banks have their own series, and card networks have their own series.

And why are you bringing JCB into this? JCB cards don't even exist in India. In India, all cards are RuPay. JCB is just an international partner and is only there for international offers, International lounges etc.

SBI Platinum is not available on RuPay Platinum platform or RuPay JCB Platform.

SBI Platinum Debit Card available on RuPay-Discover/Diners club Select Platform.

No, Bro, I can't explain it. I haven't been able to make people understand in the last 10 years that HDFC Platinum and RuPay Platinum are two different things.

Similarly, SBI Platinum and RuPay Platinum are also different.

Banks have their own series, and card networks have their own series.

And why are you bringing JCB into this? JCB cards don't even exist in India. In India, all cards are RuPay. JCB is just an international partner and is only there for international offers, International lounges etc.

SBI Platinum is not available on RuPay Platinum platform or RuPay JCB Platform.

SBI Platinum Debit Card available on RuPay-Discover/Diners club Select Platform.
If u check the list of dc issued by sbi u will get to know that sbi jcb is the only rupay platinum dc issued currently. 10 years back they were issuing sbi platinum which I also had a LTF because I was working in sbi. Now there's no other platinum card in dc portfolio except this one. If a bank ties up with card network then all the benefits of the card network is also available for that card. Same goes for sbi jcb dc which is rupay platinum dc

If u check the list of dc issued by sbi u will get to know that sbi jcb is the only rupay platinum dc issued currently. 10 years back they were issuing sbi platinum which I also had a LTF because I was working in sbi. Now there's no other platinum card in dc portfolio except this one. If a bank ties up with card network then all the benefits of the card network is also available for that card. Same goes for sbi jcb dc which is rupay platinum dc
That's not true at all. When I went to branch, I had to explicitly mention the card code of my debit card. My BM clearly said to mention this code in your debit card form.

Otherwise, I would've gotten IOCL rupay platinum or SBI international rupay Platinum or simple rupay Platinum as shown by @Abhishek012

That's not true at all. When I went to branch, I had to explicitly mention the card code of my debit card. My BM clearly said to mention this code in your debit card form.

Otherwise, I would've gotten IOCL rupay platinum or SBI international rupay Platinum or simple rupay Platinum as shown by @Abhishek012
Yes, SBI have many RuPay Platinum debit cards.

SBI RuPay JCB Platinum Debit Card launched just 5 years ago, First SBI RuPay Platinum debit card issue in 2015 and there are many RuPay Platinum debit cards available in SBI.

Few card names already shared by @6ix9ine but there are other SBI RuPay Platinum debit cards too available like SBI Corporate RuPay Platinum debit Card, SBI OD Account Electronic RuPay Platinum Debit Card etc

SBI now issue their own premium card series.

which include -

SBI Gold - available on RuPay Platinum platform
SBI Diamond - available on RuPay Platinum platform
SBI Platinum - available on RuPay Select platform
SBI Rohdium - available on RuPay Select platform
SBI Wealth - available on RuPay Select platform.

Card pics i already shared in my above comments.

Here separate post also available -

SBI launch new series of RuPay Platinum/Select debit cards + Offers On Swiggy One, Bookmyshow, MakemyTrip, Amazon Prime, SonyLive, Gym, Golf, Cab etc -

SBI Wealth RuPay Select debit card launched | Free Amazon Prime, Bookmyshow, Spa, Health Checkup, Golf -

Back