• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Vietnam - Forex & Trip help

prabhuk

TF Buzz
1. Which website gives forex USD currency notes and edge rewards are counted for Axis Magnus ?
(There is one thread in TF where Thomas cook gave ERs as travel category in June not sure now)

2. I’ve applied for AU Ixigo CC + Fi money before my trip to Vietnam next month, wanted to check if there is a better combination? (Learnt about these from TF forum and rupeetravel)

3. Anyone who has been to Hanoi, Danang, Ho chi min city - Klook / any recommendations to book for local tours?
Grab / anything else for transfers?
(Context : Family trip with senior parents and in laws)

3. Anyone who has been to Hanoi, Danang, Ho chi min city - Klook / any recommendations to book for local tours?
Klook is sufficient and group tours are fun. For sightseeing, you can ask any Grab driver. They will happily help you out anywhere and anytime.

2. Look out if Rupay JCB extends this offer beyond tomorrow. If it does, get yourself a SBI Rupay JCB Platinum debit card if you're a Diamond or Platinum segment account holder. Its a zero forex debit card with zero international ATM withdrawal charges (also, JCB's conversion rate is better than Visa or Mastercard) and over that you'll get 25% cashback credited right to your bank account (i.e. if the offer extends). I personally used just this card and Au ixigo for all my expenses in Malaysia. Didn't even bother to exchange any currency.

Which website gives forex USD currency notes and edge rewards are counted for Axis Magnus ?
(There is one thread in TF where Thomas cook gave ERs as travel category in June not sure now

+1 i would also like to know for ans for 1st.
Thomas cook forex is travel MCC. They charge 1% for CC payments. I used my Atlas and got 2% miles (converted to Accor at 7.2%) for paying 1% charge.

Just be aware that the card should be in the name of the person getting the forex. They cross check it when giving the forex notes/card. They will also ask for statement screenshot but you can say since it is CC, settlement happens after a few days only.

Fyi, I booked all the tours from Klook and one with a local agent in Hanoi to book a cruise in Ha Long Bay to avoid Indians/Desi people. In case you don't want to travel with non-Desi folks then you may have to check other options. Whenever I travel abroad I try my best to stay away from Desi people. Nothing against my folks but I like to stay away from my comfort zone.

Just for a heads-up, you don't have to worry about vegetarian meals in case anyone is vegetarian here. I have seen many Gujrati/Jain/Indian Veg restaurants in most parts of Vietnam. In the group/private tours, they ask for your dietary preferences as well.

What about boom boom 💥
The best one is Bui Vien Walking Street, better not to go there with family. On both sides of the streets, you will get amazing views and deals as well. However, if you walk on certain streets in Ho Chi Minh around midnight you will get approached by various agents 😛

1. Which website gives forex USD currency notes and edge rewards are counted for Axis Magnus ?
(There is one thread in TF where Thomas cook gave ERs as travel category in June not sure now)

2. I’ve applied for AU Ixigo CC + Fi money before my trip to Vietnam next month, wanted to check if there is a better combination? (Learnt about these from TF forum and rupeetravel)

I had used AU zenith+ in vietnam which has a forex charge of around 1% and gives 2% return on international transaction so your net return would be 1%. And for travel grab is the best option. Don't miss ninh binh when you're in hanoi. If you're going for Ha long bay cruise, just have a backup option ready as it might get cancelled at the last moment because there is a lot of cyclone activity this time of the year. I had a great time at Phu quoc, you can have a look.

Also when you're going with a tour group, they will have a pit stops here and there, do not buy any artifacts/handicrafts from them. You can find the exact piece of art at 90% cheaper in streets.

The best one is Bui Vien Walking Street, better not to go there with family. On both sides of the streets, you will get amazing views and deals as well. However, if you walk on certain streets in Ho Chi Minh around midnight you will get approached by various agents 😛
1000024738.webp

• Haha
Reactions: m4b
2. Look out if Rupay JCB extends this offer beyond tomorrow. If it does, get yourself a SBI Rupay JCB Platinum debit card if you're a Diamond or Platinum segment account holder. Its a zero forex debit card with zero international ATM withdrawal charges (also, JCB's conversion rate is better than Visa or Mastercard) and over that you'll get 25% cashback credited right to your bank account (i.e. if the offer extends). I personally used just this card and Au ixigo for all my expenses in Malaysia. Didn't even bother to exchange any currency.
this information is gold.
I already have sbi debit card, can we have 2 debit cards for same account? Thanks.

Also for people having normal savings account, can they apply for SBI JCB debit card by any chance and how to check segment account?

Last edited:
can we have 2 debit cards for same account?
Yes. But both can't be Rupay platinum. If your current card is a Visa/MC one or even a Rupay classic one, you can apply for the JCB card.
Also for people having normal savings account, can they apply for SBI JCB debit card by any chance and how to check segment account?
Yes. It doesn't matter what kind of account you have. Only your customer segmentation matters. You can check it from SBI Net Banking > My Profile section. Although, some SBI branches have been known to issue this JCB card regardless of one's segmentation. But if you're diaomond or above segment, you're guaranteed to get it from any branch.

this information is gold.
I already have sbi debit card, can we have 2 debit cards for same account? Thanks.

If your account profile is gold or higher than that ( platinum, diamond or rhodium), then you can apply from branch, mention code in application RPJ & it will be approved irrespective of AQB.

Back