• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

UPI the one ring to rule them all..

Pay p2m,p2p,self transfer, buy mf(mutual fund), buy stocks, book for ipo, pay loans, autopay subscription.

All centralised with a robust tracking.
UPI is definitely very useful. No one is debating its benefits. I was talking about its use in a specific situation. It's great for many payments.

Ohhh, sorry rare to see that an Indian criticising Indian tech🤣🤣. The whole reason to create thread seems to be so🤷🤷
I am not criticising the technology. I have repeatedly said it is great and I personally use it as well. I am only talking about a specific situation. People who have credit cards and are usedbto using them. They are at some upscale place where cards are easily accepted. Like McDonald's, Croma, Starbucks, etc. In these situations, I feel it is easier and faster to tap the card than hassle with UPI. This doesn't mean I am against UPI in everything else.

There is no obsession. Firstly, many small vendors do not have POS machines with NFC (tap to pay). Many do not have POS machines at all, only big vendors do, as you observed too. Now people may want to use a single universal payment method - for big or small vendors. Let's say you go to a small shop, then visit a mall, then some fancy restaurant, then again some small shop. You have to think which payment method to use as you can't use Visa/Mastercard cards at small shops. BharatQR which was developed by Visa and Mastercard in collaboration with NPCI to pay via credit cards is a failure. BharatQR was hardly adopted and small shops don't have POS machines with NFC readers. Heck even those merchants who have POS machines are unaware of NFC, they are trying to swipe the card or insert it in the POS machine instead of tap to pay.

From merchants' point of view, a QR code is free and hardly any cost. Plus there's MDR to be concerned about. You can't buy dhania from a street vendor with Amex or milk from a small shop with Amex, can you, but they are starting to have QR codes. Many people prefer convenience and not having to think over all else.

Another possible reason: most people don't have credit cards and they have these myth that credit cards are bad. They just don't like them. Many people aren't aware credit and debit Visa/Mastercard cards can be tokenized in Google Pay, CRED, Paytm, Samsung Pay so carrying the actual card isn't necessary. You can tap to pay with just your phone, even the app doesn't need to be open, the default tap-to-pay app automatically opens and pays but they don't know that.

OK those who have credit cards, yet another reason: a huge number of Chinese budget phones (but not Korean Samsung) omit NFC entirely in Indian market for some insane reason (but have NFC in their models sold in China) so then carrying the right physical card for the right merchant becomes important.

Another potential reason: do you know many merchants don't want to spend the effort to enter the amount on the POS machine? They will prepare or print a paper bill and tell the amount to pay and they are happy and trust the customer enough to let them enter the amount to pay, and simply hear the audio notification that it was paid. It saves them effort for hundreds of thousands of customers in a day to avoid entering amount to bill, plus the Paytm soundbox or equivalent makes their job easier. UPI has made lives easier for merchants too.

Now, personally I love credit cards and can see how rewarding they can be. I have tokenized my CCs in GPay, CRED, Paytm (got a phone with NFC specifically for that) and prefer tap to pay if NFC/contactless POS machine available, otherwise RuPay CC via UPI (NeuCard Infinity), otherwise if BharatQR available (Bharat QR is different from UPI QR and very rare to find), can even scan BharatQR and pay via Visa/Mastercard credit cards which is what I do at my everyday snacks, grocery and fresh food shop which happens to have BharatQR (but not a POS machine!). It is such a busy crowded shop that they have no time to enter the amount to bill for the customer, they want customer to enter it via QR code scan & pay and then they are content with hearing the audio confirmation (lately they got an Amitabh Bachchan voice thanks to PhonePe) and move on to next customer.

Now UPI can be linked to RuPay credit cards and BharatQR allows payment via Visa/Mastercards too. I think people don't prefer UPI as such, they prefer scan QR to enter amount and pay and both the merchant and customer hear amount paid vs merchant entering amount to be billed, and then customer tapping the phone or card. The recent explosion in banks giving away RuPay credit cards which can be linked to UPI may be because banks realized the way in which customers prefer to pay, regardless of whether it is backed by a bank account or a credit facility and that is - Scan QR which works universally vs tap to pay which only works in merchant stores which can afford and have the desire to operate POS machines.
You obviously didn't read my question carefully. It's perfectly fine and very useful to use UPI at small merchants. I was talking about a specific case: people who have credit cards, are comfortable using them, are shopping at an upscale place like Starbucks or Croma where cards are easily accepted and decide to use UPI there instead of their card. Only this kind of scenario.

I usually go to my friendly neighborhood mini grocery shop - in the 4th compound from ours- without phone or cards or cash. To get milk, curd, dosa batter, bread n a few veggies. I get all such needed items, come home n pay via UPI Rupay CC. His QR code saved on phone. He doesn't have CC POS machine. Most convenient way to do shopping n do settlement.

I usually go to my friendly neighborhood mini grocery shop - in the 4th compound from ours- without phone or cards or cash. To get milk, curd, dosa batter, bread n a few veggies. I get all such needed items, come home n pay via UPI Rupay CC. His QR code saved on phone. He doesn't have CC POS machine. Most convenient way to do shopping n do settlement.
Respected sir, my comment was not about such scenarios.

Respected sir, my comment was not about such scenarios.
I think to avoid the confusion, your thread title may need to be modified to reflect your intended scenario rather than a generic umbrella statement..
I think this will confine the discussion to your specific use case scenario...
Just an advice

Nope I disagree here, there are few people who are skilled to do card cloning but if you are careless it takes few seconds to clean your upi linked bank. Just compare how many cases of UPI related frauds and card cloning frauds you see everyday you will get your answer.

Yes UPI is super convenient but you have to be careful.
To reduce such threats, put an intermediate Payment bank in between.
Main Bank > NEFT > Payment Bank > UPI > Merchant

You obviously didn't read my question carefully. It's perfectly fine and very useful to use UPI at small merchants. I was talking about a specific case: people who have credit cards, are comfortable using them, are shopping at an upscale place like Starbucks or Croma where cards are easily accepted and decide to use UPI there instead of their card. Only this kind of scenario.
Using a credit card at starbucks is "soo downmarket" :sneaky: and definitely not cost effective.
You can easily get GV at cheap rates and pay using starbucks app

My friendly neighborhood shop accepts orders via whatapp and home delivers to my wife. Then I pay using his saved QR, even while I am sitting 500 km away.

I am not criticising the technology. I have repeatedly said it is great and I personally use it as well. I am only talking about a specific situation. People who have credit cards and are usedbto using them. They are at some upscale place where cards are easily accepted. Like McDonald's, Croma, Starbucks, etc. In these situations, I feel it is easier and faster to tap the card than hassle with UPI. This doesn't mean I am against UPI in everything else.
Post in thread 'Weird Indian obsession with UPI' https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/weird-indian-obsession-with-upi.20908/post-463479

To reduce such threats, put an intermediate Payment bank in between.
Main Bank > NEFT > Payment Bank > UPI > Merchant
Yes agreed, but then it added to inconvinience right? you have to transfer funds via NEFT every time you wanna use intermediary account. I am not saying UPI is bad I am just countering that Credit card fraud is less as compared to UPI frauds because of two reasons.

1. UPI's scalability, more people use UPI
  2. More technicality required to do CC fraud.

After reading 15 pages,

Bhai tereko UPI karna hai? Kar
Tereko UPI nhi karna? mat kar
Tereko Card use karna? kar
Tereko Card use nhi karna? mat kar

Simple brother. People will always prefer convenience over anything.

The CAGR of UPI compared to its inception in 2017 is 168%, the data itself clarifies your question.

And about card networks, why do you think Visa and MasterCard are so innocent when they have ruined the market and it's competitors since 2001 to hold its position at the top?

NPCI along with RBI is doing a great job integrating Rupay CC with UPI which will diversify the payment & card networks scenario in India in the coming 5-7 years and will break the US & EU dominance.

Lastly, I myself faced various issues with POS machine in various big stores during my college days in 2015. Back then Visa didn't have Tap n Pay.

Yes UPI is not perfect yet but considering it's ease of use and robustness we need to uphold it just like Brazilians are using PIX so extravagantly.

At larger places, the cashier simply taps a button on their screen that chooses UPI, credit card or cash. It takes a second only. No separate POS machine is required. It’s mostly built in or already on the counter.
India is not developed as First World countries where you belong, I don't know why you're living in such a poor third world nation which uses generational old tech like UPI which nowadays First World Nation Wants.

i am also talking about India only bro.
If you flaunt your credit card in public place there may be some risk of card details exposure like card number, cvv, expiry,etc which could be misue for fraud.

yes we can use credit card for large purchase to reap benefits of its rewards and cashback.
ye Haldiram me 200-600 ke chindi bill ke chakkr me account tou khaali nahi krwa skte na kyuki line me sab bheed laga ke rahte h.

aur log hand me humesha phone carry krke chalte h credit card nahi. its much easy to scan and pay through UPI or UPI on credit card
scan the QR --> approved payment by touch id or face id
Iske liye toh Gajendra Yadav Samsung ki Galaxy Watch 4 Li H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back