• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird Indian obsession with UPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I can never understand why Indians are so obsessed with UPI. It's ok for small payments like Rs20 at a small vendor who doesn't accept cards. At larger shops, where you can simply tap your credit or debit card in a second, I see educated, well off looking people fumble with UPI apps, entering the amount, then their pin and often the scan doesn't work or the payment doesn't go through because of cellular network inside the store and so on. So much time wasted along with the hassle. Yesterday, I was behind a lady at Haldirams and she tried to scan 10 times and the cashier had to reset the scan screen multiple times. UPI is great when the user is poor or uneducated and doesn't have a credit card or when the establishment doesn't accept them. Why are educated people with credit cards so enamoured of it? Isn't it better to just tap your credit card and get 1 to 3% cashback or points and skip the hassle?

@Lobogris I hope you haven't set topic name so that people get triggered and make them reply so that you can gain post numbers and reaction scores :p

So First thing, change the topic name to "Why people use UPI on POS machines", this won't trigger half the people and would save similar replies

Now, at some level, even I agree that when POS machines are present, people should just tap and leave for amounts less than 5k (as for amount greater than 5k, you need to input PIN in pos machine anyway which is as good as entering UPI pin on your device).

As "make in India" is being empowered, people here would surely say that you are sending money outside the country (when using visa/mc) which can easily be done by using Rupay cc for tap2pay (merchants requesting visa/mc instead of rupay due to high MDR charge by Rupay is different story).

afaik (I may be wrong) UPI is better for merchants as well (no mdr when sending money via bank account)

Even I have seen people ahead of me pay via UPI on POS machines facing these issues:
- network connectivity issue
- they forgot pin
- they are using someone else's phone (better half) and are shouting for upi pin 😆
- QR expiring
- device taking longer time to approve payment (payment approved from customer side but device still waiting for payment confirmation)

1) You take out your mobile probably 100 times a day...so that action comes natural to you...taking out credit card is a relatively unused action.

2) UPI is the faster payment method in 9 out of 10 places you visit....just for the 10% places you may not what to change your usual flow of making payment.
Maybe, he(@Lobogris) uses his CC instead of Mobile for everything.

Wtf bhim on tap & pay .. showw some video proof .. aise nhi manuga mai 🥱
Why video ? just download BHIM app latest version on your Android or Iphone and you will see Tap & Pay option.

This image is showing Tap & Pay for send money to your friends.

POS machine merchant payment, you dnt need to enter manually payment amount just Tap & Pay to POS machine and payment will success.

how-to-use-upi-lite-x.jpg

Why video ? just download BHIM app latest version on your Android or Iphone and you will see Tap & Pay option.

This image is showing Tap & Pay for send money to your friends.

POS machine merchant payment, you dnt need to enter manually payment amount just Tap & Pay to POS machine and payment will success.

how-to-use-upi-lite-x.jpg

W
It's working on normal pos machines too? That's great😍
Have to go through cc/dc option or upi option on pos?

Yes agreed, but then it added to inconvinience right? you have to transfer funds via NEFT every time you wanna use intermediary account. I am not saying UPI is bad I am just countering that Credit card fraud is less as compared to UPI frauds because of two reasons.

1. UPI's scalability, more people use UPI
  2. More technicality required to do CC fraud.
Transferring every time would be a little too extreme. Weekly transfer should be good enough to reduce the risk. I normally transfer 5K every Sunday. Reduces that maximum hit risk and also takes care of weekly requirements.

I remember there was a closed door meeting with NPCI shareholders in 2018-2019.

After the meeting, few bankers told on economics times (Of course they don't tell their names),

SBI, HDFC, ICICI bank told after 15 years debit/credit card will disapear and everyone will use UPI.

I had said at the same time in another forum and people don't understand this.

in US Visa/mastercard is the king because all American banks are the owner of Visa/mastercard.

Same in India, NPCI is the king because all Indian banks are the owner of NPCI.

The only problem is that NPCI product is not yet ready to 100% replace Visa/MasterCard.

It all takes time, NPCI will rule the Indian payment system. "Currently, NPCI work as public good only."

I also post an article about this here -
It is written in the last line NPCI will shed the benevolence tag. But may be over the next 10-20 years. “We aren't there yet,”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back