• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Which is the Best Bank in India?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Legend
Hey everyone! I opened this thread so that anyone who has had an exceptional experience(or otherwise) with any bank can share their thoughts and experiences to help others decide when they open an account somewhere. I currently hold accounts with SBI, BOB and HDFC. My experience thus far with HDFC has led me to believe they may just be the best bank in India. I'm waiting to hear from you all.
Thanks. :)

Bro my review didn’t based on particular Bm/branch/experience. let’s go step by step why icici is the best bank
1.you can deposit money without writing a slip using insta banking services
2.withdraw money without atm card in atm machines
3 .imobile app works perfectly including iOS
4. Customer care responds quickly(most of the time you don’t need customer care everything available on imobile app)
5. Branches are less crowded when compared to other banks
6. I hold amazon & coral LTF Cards & they’re offering other premium cards also(but not interested)
7.Offers during sales
8.No spam calls
9. Secure internet banking need dc grid for transactions
What else bro

1.you can deposit money without writing a slip using insta banking services

Can't comment. Rarely need to deposit money that way.
2.withdraw money without atm card in atm machines

Not unique to ICICI.

4. Customer care responds quickly

So do other banks I do business with.

5. Branches are less crowded when compared to other banks

My first branch at Bangalore was amongst the most crowded of them all, with queues that could compete with SBI.

8.No spam calls

Neither do I get spam calls from other banks I've accounts with, believe it or not. There are ways to stop them.

9. Secure internet banking need dc grid for transactions

Of all the above, this must take the cake! This is the single most important reason my ICICI account lies unused! This has got to be amongst the top few in my cons list!

My various negative experiences with ICICI are scattered in various threads here and elsewhere. It would take pages if I were to consolidate them to one place.

Please don't take this personally. To each his own, I guess. Peace. :)

Icici is queen. ... Staff is always helpful.

This happens to be just opposite to my experience! :)
Bob - ..... That account is now in minus because I can't maintain..also can't visit that city just to close that account.

Surprising that the account couldn't be closed remotely in this day and age!

Post office - Always safest option. Staff mostly good in all locations. For investment there are agents who give you 2% cashback upfront

Can the agents still afford to give 2% cashback, after all those cuts in their own commissions?!

No argument about the safety bit, but service wise PO banking has uniformly been bad for me over the years. But, for certain things there is no alternative. Still, hoping to get out of PO banking for good in a couple of years.

Hey everyone! I opened this thread so that anyone who has had an exceptional experience(or otherwise) with any bank can share their thoughts and experiences to help others decide when they open an account somewhere. I currently hold accounts with SBI, BOB and HDFC. My experience thus far with HDFC has led me to believe they may just be the best bank in India. I'm waiting to hear from you all.

Why isn't there a NOTA choice?!
I couldn't cast my vote!:)

My banking experience is only with HDFC and I have been using it for almost 10 years now. I didn't really bother opening accounts with other banks until recently. I would definitely recommend HDFC.

I know people generally complaint about their website and apps, but personally I'm fine with it.

My banking experience is only with HDFC and I have been using it for almost 10 years now. I didn't really bother opening accounts with other banks until recently. I would definitely recommend HDFC.

I know people generally complaint about their website and apps, but personally I'm fine with it.
So overall 10 years

what did you like so much in HDFC ?

Thanks. :)
All are worse..
Question is which is the least worst?

What 'good experience' y'all are getting with HDFC? 🤔 Is the bar so low?
So overall 10 years

what did you like so much in HDFC ?

It's 10 years for me too, so let me have a shot at it.

But first let me admit that there are things about HDFC that I'm not too happy about, -- like many others. What stood out:

HDFC is the only bank in India that had lost a cheque I'd deposited! The employee accepting the cheque was having a cup of tea and was merrily gossiping with someone over phone! He probably dropped my cheque in the waste basket! I've never deposited a cheque there ever again. -- And we badmouth PSBs !

* Now for some positives:

1. Most importantly for me, basic things usually work at HDFC, unlike at some other large private banks.

2. I have always received helpful service at non-home branches anywhere, -- and this as only a regular SB account holder. This is exemplary professionalism.

In contrast, I've received pitiful service at non-home branches of some other private banks, even as a premium customer!

3. Once I was far away from my hometown when I was supposed to receive my renewed CC. I called them up and explained the situation. They held the card for me, and advised me to put an address change request for my new location (I had another residence there). Accordingly, I submitted a written request at the nearest branch (didn't need to mail it to Chennai). In less than a week my renewed CC was in my hand! I was still only a regular customer back then!

Such exemplary service does remain etched in one's memory.

Post office - Always safest option. Staff mostly good in all locations. For investment there are agents who give you 2% cashback upfront ( Rd, NSC, PLI,Sukanya )
Want to open SSY account for my kid. Currently banking with HDFC only. Should I open one with post office? Can you shed more light on 2% upfront also please?

Want to open SSY account for my kid. Currently banking with HDFC only. Should I open one with post office? Can you shed more light on 2% upfront also please?

Noticed it only now, so may be too late for you! Still, posting my perspective for general information.

Avoid anything to do with P.O. banking, if you can help it, although it is safe. Many products are available from regular banks like SBI as well (surely PPF, SCSS etc. Possibly SSY too), -- but private banks may not always be very enthusiastic about such government products. Other exclusive P.O. products are not necessarily very lucrative anymore.

P.O.s will always be crowded, with long lines. You can avoid them however, if you have access to good agents. The 2% commission is something I'm not too sure about these days. Agent commissions have gradually been pared down. Plus these agents often work like bonded labours for peanuts in return.

P.O. service in my experience has usually been pathetic, too cumbersome, and time-consuming. And even in these days of CBS banking, not all P.O.s have been converted yet. Plus you may need last century levels of paperwork, and may have to run to the home P.O. if things break down! I am personally hoping to get completely out of P.O. banking ASAP.

Last edited:
Back