• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

All my Rupay credit cards stopped working for UPI QR payments....

Fini7777

TF Ace
Contributor
Hi, This morning I made a payment of Rs.1900 through the Tata Neu app using TATA NEU Inf cc
It was successful but after that payment, I tried to pay again to the same merchant but it's not working
I tried all my Rupay cards and none of them worked
I tried many upi apps and tried paying for different merchants: Not working
I am a medium user and don't pay huge amounts regularly (maybe 3-4 payments a day or less than that and ranges 10-400)
I know sometimes it happens due to tech issues from bank end but for all cards????
I don't know why, but all of a sudden all the cards stopped working.

I paid the remaining amount through my father's Rupay cc and it's working fine
Need ur thoughts on this...
1728297648103.webp

Hi, This morning I made a payment of Rs.1900 through the Tata Neu app using TATA NEU Inf cc
It was successful but after that payment, I tried to pay again to the same merchant but it's not working
I am a medium user and don't pay huge amounts regularly (maybe 3-4 payments a day or less than that and ranges 10-400)
I know sometimes it happens due to tech issues from bank end but for all cards????

View attachment 71480
Have you tried paying merchants outside of Tata Neu App?

View attachment 71480
May be a technical glitch Or your UPI Limit for that particular merchant may be exhausted.

A few days ago, I tried to make a payment using my RuPay card via UPI, but the transaction kept failing repeatedly. Then I tried paying the same merchant using the same RuPay credit card through PhonePe, and the transaction was successful. This has happened multiple times to me and others.
I suggest you try other UPI apps like PhonePe, Paytm, etc.

It's a known issue and the restriction is set by NPCI not the banks.

People often transfer <2k amounts to their own/friends merchant accounts to avoid charges. To restrict misuse of UPI CC, NPCI has set a limit of 2k for transactions less than 2k. That means once you have done a txn of 1.9k you can't do a txn of >100 or <2k again in 24 hours. However you can do >2k transactions again to same merchant with charges.

Try again after 24 hours, you can transact upto 2k again.

Last edited:
It's a known issue and the restriction is set by NPCI not the banks.

People often transfer <2k amounts to their own/friends merchant accounts to avoid charges. To restrict misuse of UPI CC, NPCI has set a limit of 2k for transactions less than 2k. That means once you have done a txn of 1.9k you can't do a txn of >100 or <2k again in 24 hours. However you can do >2k transactions again to same merchant with charges.

Try again after 24 hours, you can transact upto 2k again.
Yes, The restriction applies only to small merchant payments, specifically for transactions under ₹2,000 on ZERO-MDR merchant.

For weekends or any festival holidays, you can make payments upto ₹6,000 (₹2,000 per transaction) for small merchants.

There is no restriction for large merchants. You can make payments upto ₹5 lakhs per transaction or ₹10 lakhs per day using RuPay Credit Card link UPI.

Yes, The restriction applies only to small merchant payments, specifically for transactions under ₹2,000 on ZERO-MDR merchant.

For weekends or any festival holidays, you can make payments upto ₹6,000 (₹2,000 per transaction) for small merchants.

There is no restriction for large merchants. You can make payments upto ₹5 lakhs per transaction or ₹10 lakhs per day using RuPay Credit Card link UPI.
Recently my transaction of 1600 on Goibibo was declined because I had spent some 1000 rupees elsewhere in less than 24 hours. Another transaction (can't recall the exact amount ATM) in Flipkart was declined because of same issue.

I am now thinking of closing few Rupay cards.

Recently my transaction of 1600 on Goibibo was declined because I had spent some 1000 rupees elsewhere in less than 24 hours. Another transaction (can't recall the exact amount ATM) in Flipkart was declined because of same issue.

I am now thinking of closing few Rupay cards.
Which bank ? large merchants also use multiple payment gateways.

Try when you get the Razorpay or PayU merchant UPI ID.

However, there is no guarantee for this.

For example, a few days ago, my payment was being declined on PayU IndusInd Bank merchant UPI ID, but the payment went through on PayU Axis Bank merchant UPI ID. 🤣🤣

Flipkart use multiple payment gateways Payu, mairtel, paytm etc

I dont read all replies so don't know anyone said the same or not before...

Only total 2000 can be spent on small merchants in a day using rupay credit cards..

Either u have dozen of cards but only cumulative 2000 rs can be spent not more than that for small merchants.

You still can do as many as transactions of amount more than 2000 using your any of or each of cards.

Edit : This is not any official statement but I noticed this trend.

2000rs transaction limit is for per bank card or all bank combined in a day?
When rupay cc upi launched there were

Multiple transactions of amount lower than 2k.
Then something changed and only 1 transaction/Rupay card
N transactions per N cards

Now a days only 1 transaction of 2000 per all rupay credit cards of card holder

Thats why i closed my kotak Myntra card and now going to close sbi cc simoly save

Wait, wait... you mentioned that you tried to pay the same merchant. For some merchants there is a ₹2000 per day limit per RuPay card. I'm pretty sure that's the issue. But...other cards should work... 🤔

I dont read all replies so don't know anyone said the same or not before...

Only total 2000 can be spent on small merchants in a day using rupay credit cards..

Either u have dozen of cards but only cumulative 2000 rs can be spent not more than that for small merchants.

You still can do as many as transactions of amount more than 2000 using your any of or each of cards.

Edit : This is not any official statement but I noticed this trend.
2000rs transaction limit is for per bank card or all bank combined in a day?

My Observations:
There seems to be an invisible upper limit of ₹2,000 per day for all RuPay credit cards combined. Once this limit is reached, none of my RuPay cards worked for further transactions, regardless of the UPI app used.

When it comes to transactions excluding UPI it's working fine and there's no such limit issue.
I haven’t made any transactions above ₹2,000 today, so I can’t comment on whether transactions over ₹2,000 are affected. However, it's clear that transactions below ₹2,000 are getting declined after reaching the limit. While this rule may help prevent unethical usage of RuPay cards for money rotation, it impacts genuine users who make multiple small purchases throughout the day.

I haven’t found any official notice on this limit set by NPCI. Let me know if you come across any related circular.

Last edited:
When rupay cc upi launched there were

Multiple transactions of amount lower than 2k.
Then something changed and only 1 transaction/Rupay card
N transactions per N cards

Now a days only 1 transaction of 2000 per all rupay credit cards of card holder

Thats why i closed my kotak Myntra card and now going to close sbi cc simoly save
Change your UPI app and try or You can use different UPI apps to pay.

for example - link your kotak Myntra card to Phonepe app and pay

link your sbi simply save card to GPay app and pay

By the way i already pay through different card using same UPI app, no issue but 2k limit is there for small merchants per card within 24-48hrs.

My Observations:
There seems to be an invisible upper limit of ₹2,000 per day for all RuPay credit cards combined. Once this limit is reached, none of my RuPay cards worked for further transactions, regardless of the UPI app used.

When it comes to transactions excluding UPI it's working fine and there's no such limit issue.
I haven’t made any transactions above ₹2,000 today, so I can’t comment on whether transactions over ₹2,000 are affected. However, it's clear that transactions below ₹2,000 are getting declined after reaching the limit. While this rule may help prevent unethical usage of RuPay cards for money rotation, it impacts genuine users who make multiple small purchases throughout the day.

I haven’t found any official notice on this limit set by NPCI. Let me know if you come across any related circular.
One of the biggest problem in RuPay credit card UPI apps right now is that they haven't properly implemented the RuPay CC UPI guidelines.

Every declined transaction has a reason code/error code, which helps determine why the transaction was declined.

Take a look at these screenshots— in third-party UPI apps, the reason for a declined normal bank account link UPI transaction can usually be identified, and the corresponding error message is displayed.

The RuPay credit card UPI apps haven't implemented this feature correctly yet.

F-ZTIyYbgAAmAch.webp
Fpt-i5OakAAaSto.webp
FAL-VA6UUAE7bcE.webp

View attachment 71480
There are no MDR fees below 2000 on upi by rupay credit card. May be banks are blocking splitting of transactions above 2000.

Back