• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NEW American express Platinum charge Fees and Benefits

My query if someone takes card now will be charged old fees and get these additional benefits as well as these are applicable post 7th October but benefits are extended to existing card holders?

My query if someone takes card now will be charged old fees and get these additional benefits as well as these are applicable post 7th October but benefits are extended to existing card holders?
The website still says ₹60K so if you apply using that or through a referral, I think you could still get the first year discounted.
DM me if you're interested in some extra bonus rewards along with the joining bonus! :)

10K Taj Voucher in bday month: I confirmed with Amex in chat, they are saying old enrollment will get 10K birthday voucher as promised. New enrollment and renewal post 8 Oct will not get any bday voucher. Below is their reply:

"All Cardmembers who have applied for American Express Platinum Card on or before 7th October 2024 but their Card being approved on or after 8th October 2024 will still be eligible to receive their birthday benefit of INR 10K Taj vouchers as committed to them."

am afraid as they have standardised the renewal benefits with thr spend target, existing system of negotiation for renewal may cease to exist. that will be the biggest blow in my opinion.

10K Taj Voucher in bday month: I confirmed with Amex in chat, they are saying old enrollment will get 10K birthday voucher as promised. New enrollment and renewal post 8 Oct will not get any bday voucher. Below is their reply:

"All Cardmembers who have applied for American Express Platinum Card on or before 7th October 2024 but their Card being approved on or after 8th October 2024 will still be eligible to receive their birthday benefit of INR 10K Taj vouchers as committed to them."
So the cherry on the cake is removed by Amex for New Plat charge card users.

Yes, every year depending on my annual usage. Last year my annual usage was worth 40lakhs with a Plat charge, and I got 45k worth of TAJ vouchers. I know people who got fewer retention offers because their usage was less.

In the current cycle, usage of my Plat Charge has decreased because of INFINIA. So, I will consider their renewal offer before proceeding further next year, because new offers justifying fee hikes are of less value atleast for me. INFINIA Reserve if launched this year will be the final nail in the coffin for Plat Charge, because there will be no monthly RP capping on Infinia Reserve (rumored info, but I hope it's true).
Im getting every year around 1.25 lac points

To everyone complaining about these changes: IMO the truly legit target audience of this card (and I’m not one) won’t mind the additional tie-ups available for a negligible fee hike, as it continues to top the lifestyle category of HNI cardholders. If anything, it will weed off casual users and churners, restoring its exclusivity. I believe Amex did their homework and they know exactly what they are doing.

To everyone complaining about these changes: IMO the truly legit target audience of this card (and I’m not one) won’t mind the additional tie-ups available for a negligible fee hike, as it continues to top the lifestyle category of HNI cardholders. If anything, it will weed off casual users and churners, restoring its exclusivity. I believe Amex did their homework and they know exactly what they are doing.
Lmao what! Now a days it’s very difficult to understand the perception of some people over the unusual devaluation. Is it some kind of coping mechanism??

Lmao what! Now a days it’s very difficult to understand the perception of some people over the unusual devaluation. Is it some kind of coping mechanism??
You can cope all you want, I’m genuinely not bothered by this change as I couldn’t convince myself to get this card even when they were offering 135k points for 3 months earlier this year. But good on you if you think you know better than some of the smartest investment bankers in the industry.

Yes, Agree. Genuine users (unlike referral folks or only first-year users) will not mind the price hike and will use the card benefits to their advantage. AMEX certainly has employees working for them who must have studied the market, and they have the historical data to separate authentic users from non-interested ones. They won't hike the price unless they can back it up internally, and I am sure they have done their homework. Now the card may not be worth the price hike according to my use case, but it does not mean it is not suitable for someone else. For people living in Metro cities, and frequent travelers, HNI will continue to be the target audience for the Plat Charge card. Let's see how it unfolds in the future.

Last edited:
I haven't made first txn with my Amex Plat charge . Whether I will be receiving Taj bday GC or not ? CC said u will receive 30 days prior to your birthday !

And told me that these revised TnCs (withdrawl of bday benefits) applies to new enrollments/renewals happening after 08 Oct !!
Looks like those who have now will get it but when renewal happens the next year birthday may not get this voucher.

Actually end of last year and early this year Amex distributed this card left right and centre. even people with smart earn card which is the entry-level card have offered this card as an upgrade. In most cases, users have got this card just by paying a 70k fee no income documents required.

amex is responsible for the dilution of this card no one else.

I think users that were renewing without any benefits will like the added benefits.
But the question is what percentage of total users were renewing without any benefits?

The increased fee and the subtle new benefits might change the decision of the users who were planning to renew and like to get value back.
The ones that don't care, the elite HNIs would continue as a few thousands doesn't really matter to them.

Actually end of last year and early this year Amex distributed this card left right and centre. even people with smart earn card which is the entry-level card have offered this card as an upgrade. In most cases, users have got this card just by paying a 70k fee no income documents required.

amex is responsible for the dilution of this card no one else.
Yes there were many cases. Many just taken this card for Joining benefits only. I will share one more experience recently at Delhi Airport T3, As myself and my brother was walking and we were crossing Amex kiosk and executives called us. Later on he was asking Do you own any Amex cards and we told our cards As I hold Plat Charge he was insisting my brother to take Plat Charge and said income verification won't happen as you have Amex cards and it will be approved. Although he had eligibility but I was shocked listening to that.

Back