• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NEW American express Platinum charge Fees and Benefits

No, Plat Charge basically gives you access to a huge coupon-book of elite memberships and offers. You save money through its non-spend benefits rather than by using the card itself.

Pretty much. I'll give a recent example. I've used the Amex complimentary Radisson Premium membership and made a reservation on my international travel last month, reserved a room worth 25k/night for 4 nights. Being a premium member, I will be upgrade to the next available class/room and I did get upgraded to a suite that's worth around 50k/night for 3 nights as they didn't have a suite available the first night I was there.

So it's not the spends that you have with the card unlike other premium cards you have, you can still get quite a bit of value of it with the benefits this card comes with. It just depends on your lifestyle but someone who travels domestic/international and stays in hotels can get the maximum value out of this card.

It will be interesting to see besides providing 35k worth of vouchers on spending 20lakhs annually, whether AMEX will provide any retention benefits to the users. I have been a Plat charge customer for the last 5 years, and even since getting INFINIA, all my flight/hotel bookings have shifted to INFINIA, unless it is Air INDIA, Vistara (10X accelerated points).
since you have been a customer from 5 years, did you get any retention offers during this time while renewing?

since you have been a customer from 5 years, did you get any retention offers during this time while renewing?
Yes, every year depending on my annual usage. Last year my annual usage was worth 40lakhs with a Plat charge, and I got 45k worth of TAJ vouchers. I know people who got fewer retention offers because their usage was less.

In the current cycle, usage of my Plat Charge has decreased because of INFINIA. So, I will consider their renewal offer before proceeding further next year, because new offers justifying fee hikes are of less value atleast for me. INFINIA Reserve if launched this year will be the final nail in the coffin for Plat Charge, because there will be no monthly RP capping on Infinia Reserve (rumored info, but I hope it's true).

This is the latest email communication received from Amex team on the Plat Charge Card

Enjoy new benefits worth up to ₹1,40,000* on your Card,
effective 8 October 2024:

Annual renewal benefit worth ₹35,000*
Get Taj Hotels, Reliance Brands Limited (Luxe Gift Card), Postcard Hotels & Resorts vouchers worth up to ₹35,000* in a year on Card renewal when you spend ₹20,00,000* in a Cardmembership year.
Savings worth up to ₹8,000* Apple products
Get instant cashback on select Apple products every time you shop on apple.in or in-store. Additionally, also earn 5X* on shopping online via Reward Multiplier.
Complimentary memberships to Amazon Prime Lite, Disney+ Hotstar,
Wall Street Journal and more worth up to ₹45,000*
Enjoy access to 40+ OTT and publications with a curated Times Ace membership. Also, get special offers across shopping, travel, health and wellness on brands like Ajio Luxe, Uber, Starbucks, TUMI, Kaya Skin Clinic and more.
3 new complimentary* elite tier memberships with no qualifying criteria
Accor Plus Traveller membership:
Get up to 50%* off on dining, member rates and other offers at 1,000+ hotels in 20 countries.
The Postcard Hotel Sunshine Club - Platinum Tier:
Get 7%* hotel loyalty points, complimentary* laundry service, cocktails and more.
I Prefer - Titanium membership at The Leela Hotels & Resorts, Dusit Thani and more:
Get 50%* bonus hotel loyalty points, member rates, room upgrade*, offers and more.
Third night complimentary at The LaLiT worth up to ₹30,000*
Get complimentary* 3rd night, a dinner for two, a service at the Spa, butler service and more when you book 2 or more nights for a club room or suite across 10 properties in India.

Updates to existing benefits:

Supplementary Cardmembers will continue to enjoy unlimited access to The Centurion® Lounges in New Delhi and Mumbai. Their access to bring in a guest will be discontinued.

Benefit of Taj vouchers worth ₹10,000* in your birthday month will be discontinued.
Your annual Cardmembership fees will be revised from ₹60,000* to ₹66,000* + taxes or any other taxes as applicable, effective 8 October 2024.

All the other benefits, rewards and experiences available on your Card remain unchanged.
All these benefits have almost zero cash value.
I don't think anyone will spend 77880 for this and keep on paying 77880 every year.
It is an obvious recurring liability.

Last edited:
This is the latest email communication received from Amex team on the Plat Charge Card

Enjoy new benefits worth up to ₹1,40,000* on your Card,
effective 8 October 2024:

Annual renewal benefit worth ₹35,000*
Get Taj Hotels, Reliance Brands Limited (Luxe Gift Card), Postcard Hotels & Resorts vouchers worth up to ₹35,000* in a year on Card renewal when you spend ₹20,00,000* in a Cardmembership year.
Savings worth up to ₹8,000* Apple products
Get instant cashback on select Apple products every time you shop on apple.in or in-store. Additionally, also earn 5X* on shopping online via Reward Multiplier.
Complimentary memberships to Amazon Prime Lite, Disney+ Hotstar,
Wall Street Journal and more worth up to ₹45,000*
Enjoy access to 40+ OTT and publications with a curated Times Ace membership. Also, get special offers across shopping, travel, health and wellness on brands like Ajio Luxe, Uber, Starbucks, TUMI, Kaya Skin Clinic and more.
3 new complimentary* elite tier memberships with no qualifying criteria
Accor Plus Traveller membership:
Get up to 50%* off on dining, member rates and other offers at 1,000+ hotels in 20 countries.
The Postcard Hotel Sunshine Club - Platinum Tier:
Get 7%* hotel loyalty points, complimentary* laundry service, cocktails and more.
I Prefer - Titanium membership at The Leela Hotels & Resorts, Dusit Thani and more:
Get 50%* bonus hotel loyalty points, member rates, room upgrade*, offers and more.
Third night complimentary at The LaLiT worth up to ₹30,000*
Get complimentary* 3rd night, a dinner for two, a service at the Spa, butler service and more when you book 2 or more nights for a club room or suite across 10 properties in India.

Updates to existing benefits:

Supplementary Cardmembers will continue to enjoy unlimited access to The Centurion® Lounges in New Delhi and Mumbai. Their access to bring in a guest will be discontinued.

Benefit of Taj vouchers worth ₹10,000* in your birthday month will be discontinued.
Your annual Cardmembership fees will be revised from ₹60,000* to ₹66,000* + taxes or any other taxes as applicable, effective 8 October 2024.

All the other benefits, rewards and experiences available on your Card remain unchanged.
Received the same. But discontinuing 10k Taj voucher on birthdays let down.

Received the same. But discontinuing 10k Taj voucher on birthdays let down.
Yeah, the increased pricing and decreasing benefits do make me feel bad a little bit.

Let's hope they've more benefits planned in the future to cover up or the renewal percentages might go down.

Primary & Basic card holders will continue to use Centurion lounge access (within & outside India), only guest access along with them is not allowed. This is good for de-cluttering the lounges and providing service to actual card members. Offers on the Apple India website are of less value, as the majority of plat charge members are buying Apple products from outside INDIA, where they are cheaper. Postcard hotel membership is useless as hotels are less, same with Amazon Prime lite & Hotstar.

It will be interesting to see besides providing 35k worth of vouchers on spending 20lakhs annually, whether AMEX will provide any retention benefits to the users. I have been a Plat charge customer for the last 5 years, and even since getting INFINIA, all my flight/hotel bookings have shifted to INFINIA, unless it is Air INDIA, Vistara (10X accelerated points).

I am sure now AMEX will roll out several offers to lure customers. Maybe a 30% Marriot Bonvoy transfer is coming this year too to support this hike, but AMEX will have a hard time justifying the renewal price tag unless retention offers are solid.
my iron box is not working, can i book a postcard hotel?

1725546710393.webp

Last edited:
I haven't made first txn with my Amex Plat charge . Whether I will be receiving Taj bday GC or not ? CC said u will receive 30 days prior to your birthday !

And told me that these revised TnCs (withdrawl of bday benefits) applies to new enrollments/renewals happening after 08 Oct !!

Reactions: Tay
Back