• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Pro Tips to make a SBI card life time free

RkrRkr is verified member.

TF Legend
TF Family
Pro Tips-

Simple way to make Any basic to mid range SBI card LTF is to "Just raise a closure of card account request through Sbi card app .After few hours you will receive a call to ask a reason for cancellation ,there tell them Either make it Life time free or cancel the card.They will make your Card LTF.Done on my both sbi card and now both are LTF.Service request to make your card LTF is taken as PCT id is to be changed.You can check in service request tracking menu.

Caution:-If you holding multiple cards of SBI then kindly do this process at one card at a time only.Do on other card after at least month. If at any point SBI Card is not agreeing on LTF and offering you Annual Fee waivers only then Accept Fee waivers at that moment and Apply the same trick Again after 1 or 2 months for LTF.
IF ANYONE HAVING ANY SPECEFIC CONCERN THEN DO DM.

Edit 1-If afterall anyone missed the call from retention team then they can simply call customer care and there simply tell them to connect/transfer you call to retention team as i want to discuss regarding my card closure request.They will connect you to their retention team and now there you can project the above trick to get your card LTF ..

Edit 2(09 July 2023)-Even people have made sbi cards having fee upto 1499 LTF and even higher varriant cards you will get equivalent reward points or miles or annual fee waiver in place of LTF.

Edit 3(15 October 2023)- Even people have made their SBI cashback credit card LTF by their skill of negotiation.

Edit 4-Now a days SBI Cards sometime,closing the card without calling so suggest now dont place request through app by self .Call customer care directly and ask them for LTF/fee waivers or to transfer the call to retention team for doing the same.

Could someone share easy to approve SBI cards for salary under 20k based on C2C.?

Without much trouble (consider remaining all factors like CIBIL, location etc. supported).

Because we have to deal with these local agents, checking easy options (Cashback big no, didn't processed 2 times and 1 time they changed it to AirIndia), so consider the support from them.

TIA
Go for
Simply Save
Sbi BPCL
SBI Irctc

C2C only possible Offline .

In such scenario let the annual fee charged then place the request...either they will reverse or make your card LTF...And if they reversed the A/fee then you have 12 more months to try this trick....

Closing straightway means gate closed for negotiations...
What if they don't reverse the annual charges or say pay the ANNUAL FEES and then we can close the card.

Bummer Then!

I am having SBI Max Credit Card (499 Joining Fees+ 499 Annual Fees), I don't know why I have this Card. I already emailed them in 11th Month Stating Closure Request and There Principal Nodal Team Called me and told me Clear your dues and also wait till you get Your Annual Fees Charged then we might Reversed you!

On 22nd June 2023 - My Card is getting 1 Year Old.

Please Throw some lights on my Query! @Rkr

Last edited:
What if they don't reverse the annual charges or say pay the ANNUAL FEES and then we can close the card.

Bummer Then!

I am having SBI Max Credit Card (499 Joining Fees+ 499 Annual Fees), I don't know why I have this Card. I already emailed them in 11th Month Stating Closure Request and There Principal Nodal Team Called me and told me Clear your dues and also wait till you get Your Annual Fees Charged then we might Reversed you!

On 22nd June 2023 - My Card is getting 1 Year Old.

Please Throw some lights on my Query!
If you genuinely don't want this card, you can request an upgrade to either SimplyClick or SimplySave. Use the upgraded card for at least 8-9 months and then submit a closure request. After that, ask them to convert it to a LTF card or, at the very least, have the joining fees reversed. Then, repeat the process after a few days and this time request them to make it LTF.

If you genuinely don't want this card, you can request an upgrade to either SimplyClick or SimplySave. Use the upgraded card for at least 8-9 months and then submit a closure request. After that, ask them to convert it to a LTF card or, at the very least, have the joining fees reversed. Then, repeat the process after a few days and this time request them to make it LTF.
What about current card annual fees? Today till evening I will receive the statement and what should I tell customer support?

Make my Card LTF or Upgrade the Card to SBI for LTF!

I DON'T WANT TO Pay SBI Annual Fees Right Now neither joining fees offcourse for Upgrade to SBI Simplyclick

Reactions: Rkr
What about current card annual fees? Today till evening I will receive the statement and what should I tell customer support?

Make my Card LTF or Upgrade the Card to SBI for LTF!

I DON'T WANT TO Pay SBI Annual Fees Right Now neither joining fees offcourse for Upgrade to SBI Simplyclick
Then ask them to make it a LTF since you don't wish to pay any fees. If they don't agree, simply close the card. There's no reason to consider an upgrade because even with an upgrade, you will still have to pay a joining fee.

I have a SBI Ola card and asked for upgrade or downgrade since I don't use it much but they simply say there are no offers at the moment. I again explained there's not much use for this card given the change in my use patterns and devaluations on the card.

Asked me to call at the time of renewal and check again for upgrade/downgrade offers. I asked them to at least convert to LTF - again the answer is No.
All they assured is that they'll reverse the annual fee in future and also check for any offers to upgrade/downgrade at the time. But this is a few months away and don't know if they'll hold up to the promise then

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but these are the only options Retention (call themselves account closure team) gave.
First level customer service straight up said there's no option and we'll take the request if you want to close the card :(

• Sad
I have a SBI Ola card and asked for upgrade or downgrade since I don't use it much but they simply say there are no offers at the moment. I again explained there's not much use for this card given the change in my use patterns and devaluations on the card.

Asked me to call at the time of renewal and check again for upgrade/downgrade offers. I asked them to at least convert to LTF - again the answer is No.
All they assured is that they'll reverse the annual fee in future and also check for any offers to upgrade/downgrade at the time. But this is a few months away and don't know if they'll hold up to the promise then

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but these are the only options Retention (call themselves account closure team) gave.
First level customer service straight up said there's no option and we'll take the request if you want to close the card :(
Yes go ahead and try with closure trick then they might offer your LTF

Place request today at 0930 hrs for cancellation and wait for call from retention team.

Thanks.
Account closure team is not the Retention team?
See Retention team has the authority to modify your account as well as approve your closure requeat for final closure.They are from higher tier customer service people with some additinal privilage/access (over normal customare care people in sbi card with whom we are able to talk once call gets connected)to deal with your account .

Last edited:
See Retention team has the authority to modify your account as well as approve your closure requeat for final closure.They are from higher tier customer service people with some additinal privilage/access (over normal customare care people in sbi card with whom we are able to talk once call gets connected)to deal with your account .
How do we reach them. To clarify in order:
Called SBI Cards normal customer service first and asked for the offer/LTF but they say it's just not possible, I say 'close the card because it's of no use', they say OK & transfer the call to 'Account Closure' team.
A/C closure is the one who at least offered annual fee renewal and also at the time check the possibility of upgrade/downgrade, can't do anything else for now

What do you recommend, tell the A/C closure team that I still want to go ahead for the closure and hope they transfer me to Retention team?

How do we reach them. To clarify in order:
Called SBI Cards normal customer service first and asked for the offer/LTF but they say it's just not possible, I say 'close the card because it's of no use', they say OK & transfer the call to 'Account Closure' team.
A/C closure is the one who at least offered annual fee renewal and also at the time check the possibility of upgrade/downgrade, can't do anything else for now

What do you recommend, tell the A/C closure team that I still want to go ahead for the closure and hope they transfer me to Retention team?
Yes just tell them to connect the call to their retention team to discuss on your closure request they will do the same and once they transfred the call to their retention team, then project your issue smartly to get the result in your favour.(Either LTF of A/fee waiver).

Yes just tell them to connect the call to their retention team to discuss on your closure request they will do the same and once they transfred the call to their retention team, then project your issue smartly to get the result in your favour.(Either LTF of A/fee waiver).
I have asked normal customer care executive to connect this call to retention team but they told me that that's not possible.

I have asked normal customer care executive to connect this call to retention team but they told me that that's not possible.
I have placed card closure request earlier but missed their call. So I have asked normal customer care executive to connect call with retention team but they denied.

• Sad
Back