• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SC Ultimate (Standard Chartered Ultimate) Upgrade Suggestion

anish1516

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hello!!!

Recently I have been receiving calls to upgrade my Manhattan Card to Ultimate card. My Manhattan card is free and the Ultimate would cost Rs. 5000 plus taxes every year. Here they are offering 5000 reward points on every renewal without any conditions. So effectively the card costs me Rs. 900 approx. Now my query is should I go for it? Right now I have decent number of cards. Don't have too much utility expenses. Use my Infinia for offline shopping and SBI Cashback for Online. Please suggest if it's worth to pay fee for SC Ultimate?

I also got the upgrade offer from Smart to Ultimate. But I did not upgrade it, took it as a seperate card so that I have an option to cancel it and continue with the Smart card. I an yet to receive the card physically but I can view it from the app and I can view reward portal. The attached screenshot shows the list of brand vouchers currently available. I thought since they were revamping the portal there would be some useful vouchers. But apart from Fabindia, I don't see any useful vouchers at least for me. Even then, I will have to spend 5k-10k at Fabindia which may not be required and might seem uncessary. Although the point validity is 3 years, I will be stuck with points or uncessary spends at Fabindia. As per the posts, previously there used to be Uber, Tanishq, Kalyan Jewellers vouchers which were at least useful in some way. When I had Manhattan card, I even used the points for BBQ nation voucher from the portal. But the current catalogue of vouchers for SC Ultimate seems to be the worst.

I am wondering whether I should activate the card or not, it should be cancelled as per RBI guidelines if don't activate it within 30 days. Folks, do you foresee any improvement in the reward catalogue in the near future?

I also got the upgrade offer from Smart to Ultimate. But I did not upgrade it, took it as a seperate card so that I have an option to cancel it and continue with the Smart card. I an yet to receive the card physically but I can view it from the app and I can view reward portal. The attached screenshot shows the list of brand vouchers currently available. I thought since they were revamping the portal there would be some useful vouchers. But apart from Fabindia, I don't see any useful vouchers at least for me. Even then, I will have to spend 5k-10k at Fabindia which may not be required and might seem uncessary. Although the point validity is 3 years, I will be stuck with points or uncessary spends at Fabindia. As per the posts, previously there used to be Uber, Tanishq, Kalyan Jewellers vouchers which were at least useful in some way. When I had Manhattan card, I even used the points for BBQ nation voucher from the portal. But the current catalogue of vouchers for SC Ultimate seems to be the worst.

I am wondering whether I should activate the card or not, it should be cancelled as per RBI guidelines if don't activate it within 30 days. Folks, do you foresee any improvement in the reward catalogue in the near future?
What is your use case for which you applied for Ultimate and existing card portfolio?

What is your use case for which you applied for Ultimate and existing card portfolio?
Mostly for offline POS transactions. I am using Axis ACE but it has been devalued from 2% to 1.5%. With SC Ultimate one can technically get 3.3% but given the poor reward redemption catalogue it would very difficult to get the most of out of it.

My existing card portfolio :
HDFC Regalia First - LTF
HDFC Tata Neu - LTF
HDFC Swiggy - Paid
ICICI Coral Visa & Rupay - LTF
ICICI Amazon Pay - LTF
Axis Myzone - LTF
Axis Airtel - Paid
Axis ACE - Paid
SBI SimplyClick - LTF
BOB Select - LTF
BOB Snapdeal - Paid
Indusind Legend - LTF
Indusind Eazydiner - LTF
AU Zenith - LTF
Yes Rupay Virtual - LTF
Yes ACE - LTF
Kotak League Platinum Rupay - LTF
IDFC First Millennia - LTF
RBL Platinum Delight - LTF
Federal Scapia - LTF
SBM One Card - FD based/LTF
HSBC Platinum - LTF
SCB Smart - Paid but I reversed the joining fees, planned to do the same with annual fees I do not meet the waiver criteria.

I received an email for the upgarde offer. I applied over a call that received from the CC on 4th Sept. Since, I had cashback in Smart card and unless I hit target of Rs. 2500 I won't be able to redeem it. CC agent suggested that I could apply it a seperate card and share the limit between two cards. They said that the virtual card would be available in the app within 24-48 hrs and physical card would be delivered within 7 days.
So you applied separate card thru call ?

I tried getting SC Smart over call, but they denied.
Said apply online for 2nd Card and the online method isn't working since months
Oh is it? I didn't know that. I got this upgrade offer in the email where it was suggested to apply or give a call on this number 9920921112. When I clicked apply now it mentioned that the bank representative will call me in this regard. May be they processed my application over call since it was an upgrade offer and they are heavily pushing people to take the upgrade offer since it has been devalued and a lot of people have cancelled this card. Have you tried their support on Twitter/Fb/Insta to report that online method is not working?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240907-000335.webp
    Screenshot_20240907-000335.webp
    54.6 KB · Views: 10
Oh is it? I didn't know that. I got this upgrade offer in the email where it was suggested to apply or give a call on this number 9920921112. When I clicked apply now it mentioned that the bank representative will call me in this regard. May be they processed my application over call since it was an upgrade offer and they are heavily pushing people to take the upgrade offer since it has been devalued and a lot of people have cancelled this card. Have you tried their support on Twitter/Fb/Insta to report that online method is not working?
SCB Support is useless everywhere. Asking them is hitting your head on wall.

I will also give a call to ur number mentioned above tomorrow, let's see what happens

Mostly for offline POS transactions. I am using Axis ACE but it has been devalued from 2% to 1.5%. With SC Ultimate one can technically get 3.3% but given the poor reward redemption catalogue it would very difficult to get the most of out of it.

My existing card portfolio :
HDFC Regalia First - LTF
HDFC Tata Neu - LTF
HDFC Swiggy - Paid
ICICI Coral Visa & Rupay - LTF
ICICI Amazon Pay - LTF
Axis Myzone - LTF
Axis Airtel - Paid
Axis ACE - Paid
SBI SimplyClick - LTF
BOB Select - LTF
BOB Snapdeal - Paid
Indusind Legend - LTF
Indusind Eazydiner - LTF
AU Zenith - LTF
Yes Rupay Virtual - LTF
Yes ACE - LTF
Kotak League Platinum Rupay - LTF
IDFC First Millennia - LTF
RBL Platinum Delight - LTF
Federal Scapia - LTF
SBM One Card - FD based/LTF
HSBC Platinum - LTF
SCB Smart - Paid but I reversed the joining fees, planned to do the same with annual fees I do not meet the waiver criteria.
1. Then the question comes are you planning to spend at least 3,00,000/- on it offline annually?

2. Are are you comfortable with the redemption options (at least 3 options which you can use personally/encash easily)?

3. Do you intend to apply for any other card which can beat this reward rate for offline usage?

If the answer to 1 & 2 is no and 3 is yes then don’t go for it

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes and 3 is no then go for it eyes closed

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes for either one of them and 3 is yes then evaluate that other cards benefits in totality, apply for the same and if it gets approved then close this one/don’t activate ultimate

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes for either one of them and 3 is no then evaluate can your answer turn to yes for 1 & 2 in first year of usage (since joining rewards compensate for joining fees for 1st year). If it does then activate the same.

For my use case and take on this card go through these:

Post in thread 'SC Ultimate | Time to close the card?'
https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/sc-ultimate-time-to-close-the-card.28699/post-763596

When I received SC smart card my first card from SC, during my first call to them to know billing date, they tried to provide me paid Ultimate card but I denied. It was upgrade offer for my SC card.

Since I already hold a card, nobody will entertain existing card holders 😞
@nirmalya I just had a call with Stan C Cust Care. They took Multi Card request over call.

I asked when this started they told after this upgrade/maintenance process, we have started to take new card requests over call.

I requested for SC Smart, was already holding VISA Plat Rewards.

@nirmalya I just had a call with Stan C Cust Care. They took Multi Card request over call.

I asked when this started they told after this upgrade/maintenance process, we have started to take new card requests over call.

scb cards are now prime to give up / cancel.. they are losing the race faaaast.. dropping in value / product design and service... Sad

1. Then the question comes are you planning to spend at least 3,00,000/- on it offline annually?

2. Are are you comfortable with the redemption options (at least 3 options which you can use personally/encash easily)?

3. Do you intend to apply for any other card which can beat this reward rate for offline usage?

If the answer to 1 & 2 is no and 3 is yes then don’t go for it

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes and 3 is no then go for it eyes closed

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes for either one of them and 3 is yes then evaluate that other cards benefits in totality, apply for the same and if it gets approved then close this one/don’t activate ultimate

If answer for 1 & 2 is yes for either one of them and 3 is no then evaluate can your answer turn to yes for 1 & 2 in first year of usage (since joining rewards compensate for joining fees for 1st year). If it does then activate the same.

For my use case and take on this card go through these:

Post in thread 'SC Ultimate | Time to close the card?'
https://www.technofino.in/community/threads/sc-ultimate-time-to-close-the-card.28699/post-763596
Thanks for the detailed analysis, will introspect on it.

Thanks for the detailed analysis, will introspect on it.
I had the SC Ultimate. The problem is even if you find some redemption option it will be unavailable when you are actually going to redeem it. When I applied for ultimate card I liked the Decathlon gift voucher. I accumulated reward points to buy Decathlon voucher but when I had enough points Decathlon voucher was not available. I had to redeem for all the useless options.

Strange! When I asked for SC Smart over call, they told me that they can only provide an upgrade to SC Ultimate with one - time joining fees (with almost equal reward points). But I declined.

SC customer care still not taking any card requests whether new or existing users. She just told to apply via website. I wanna apply for SC Smart, already hold ultimate thinking to close it by this month end.
Please let me know on which contact no they are taking requests for new card for existing users.

Back