• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What triggers credit limit enhancement from HDFC

lpshreyas

TF Buzz
I currently hold HDFC Millennia (7+ years) and Neu Infinity (4 months), and have been stuck with my current credit limit for over 2 years now. I have no defaults and I also have a salary account with the bank, but that never helped in moving the needle. I have also tried every trick suggested to me to trigger a credit limit enhancement or an upgrade from the bank without any success.
  • I have underspent (less than 10k a month for 6 months)
  • I have overspent (more than 3L in a quarter)
  • I took a second card in Tata Neu Infinity and spent 1.9L in the first 3 months
  • I wrote to the CC team, grievance redressal, priority redressal, escalation desk, and PNO
  • I spoke with my corporate RM, and escalation contact
  • I even spoke to my RM (this must tell you how desperate I must have gotten)
But every time it is the same thing. Either they ask me to wait another 6 months, or they tell me that I already have the best limit they can offer. What also annoys me is that HDFC has quoted my credit limit (4.5L) as a reason for not offering Regalia Gold and DCB, even though Regalia Gold isn't on the same level as DCB. They are offering Diners Privilege to me on FYF basis but aren't giving a higher limit with the upgrade.

I am fresh out of ideas and, to be honest, a bit frustrated after seeing people getting their Neu cards converted to LTF, receiving everything from 10% to 200% limit enhancements, LTF Swiggy, and LTF Regalia Gold on corporate offers (which I also qualify, btw) while I get nothing. So, I would love to know if there's anything I can do in order to tip the scales in my favour?

I currently hold HDFC Millennia (7+ years) and Neu Infinity (4 months), and have been stuck with my current credit limit for over 2 years now. I have no defaults and I also have a salary account with the bank, but that never helped in moving the needle. I have also tried every trick suggested to me to trigger a credit limit enhancement or an upgrade from the bank without any success.
  • I have underspent (less than 10k a month for 6 months)
  • I have overspent (more than 3L in a quarter)
  • I took a second card in Tata Neu Infinity and spent 1.9L in the first 3 months
  • I wrote to the CC team, grievance redressal, priority redressal, escalation desk, and PNO
  • I spoke with my corporate RM, and escalation contact
  • I even spoke to my RM (this must tell you how desperate I must have gotten)
But every time it is the same thing. Either they ask me to wait another 6 months, or they tell me that I already have the best limit they can offer. What also annoys me is that HDFC has quoted my credit limit (4.5L) as a reason for not offering Regalia Gold and DCB, even though Regalia Gold isn't on the same level as DCB. They are offering Diners Privilege to me on FYF basis but aren't giving a higher limit with the upgrade.

I am fresh out of ideas and, to be honest, a bit frustrated after seeing people getting their Neu cards converted to LTF, receiving everything from 10% to 200% limit enhancements, LTF Swiggy, and LTF Regalia Gold on corporate offers (which I also qualify, btw) while I get nothing. So, I would love to know if there's anything I can do in order to tip the scales in my favour?
I have a lot of research on hdfc and area sales head of hdfc credit card is my friend.

My hdfc credit card limit is also stuck then he told me that my profile have over exposure all my card account limit is 29.50 lac
He suggested me to close some unusable cards and decrease the profile exposure to 15 lac then bank will increase the limit.

My hdfc card have lowest limit after AMEX card.

I have a lot of research on hdfc and area sales head of hdfc credit card is my friend.

My hdfc credit card limit is also stuck then he told me that my profile have over exposure all my card account limit is 29.50 lac
He suggested me to close some unusable cards and decrease the profile exposure to 15 lac then bank will increase the limit.

Is there a rule like x% of annual income for profile exposure?

Means if annual salary is 10 Lakh inr, then the credit exposure in 30-40 Lakh. -> means CL on all CCs together shall not exceed this ?
I guess home loan or any other secured loans don't come under this.

cc : @SSV
It depends on the bank , generally until 200 % is safe.

Yes, it is unsecured loans that count majorly ..
It is actually your debt servicing capability that they measure.
Debt to income ratio.
Homeloans also bay count but weightage will be very less I guess.
I don't exactly know the formula

Last edited:
Means if annual salary is 10 Lakh inr, then the credit exposure in 30-40 Lakh. -> means CL on all CCs together shall not exceed this ?
I guess home loan or any other secured loans don't come under this.

cc : @SSV
Yaah unsecured loans are around 2 to 3 times and home/auto loan which are secured loan so which make profile batter. But if you have home/auto loan then cc limit will be around 2 times of your income.

This information is received from hdfc credit card area sales head. (Area means more than half Rajasthan)

There are a lot of permutations combinations for CLE in HDFC, but at the end, the the centre of gravity is "Give Business To HDFC".
I am pretty much sure of one thing "High spends on Hdfc CC do not garuntee CLE". Stop sending ITR's to Chennai address (This method gives hardly 15-20% CLE - practically tried by myself). Our goal is "Atleast 50% CLE". Stop chasing RMs', they are useless (They will force you into Investment Plans etc...).
1. Start Autopay (Smartpay) on your Credit card, even if you don't need.
2. Start Autopay (Smartpay) on your DEBIT card, even if you don't need.
3. Convert atleast 1 large transaction of your Credit Card into Emi with interest for atleast 6 months term, even if you are capable of paying in full.
4. Take atleast 1 No cost EMI on your Credit Card for atleast 6 months, even if you are capable of paying in full.
5. Open a FD of atleast Rs. 25000 /- or higher for atleast 6 months term. Open another Rs. 10000 FD with a sweep in facility. Take an Overdraft on your FDs.
6. Open a RD of atleast Rs. 1000 /- or higher per month for atleast 6 mnths term.
7. Add a Family member to your Savings account. Add a Kids account (if having kids).
8. Do not share any Financial document, ITR, Salary slip, other Credit Card Limits, anything with HDFC or RM or via Email or to Chennai address - Never. This hinders Auto-Limit enhancement on your Credit card.
9. Let the Auto-Limit Enhancement kick-in on your card by waiting for atleast 6 months to 1 year doing all these steps from 1 to 8.
10. Lastly, keep upgrading your Credit Card whenever offered even if CLE is not offered (Your upgraded card may not be according to your taste, but still upgrade it. Its temporary.) Upgraded cards have higher chances of Limit Enhancements.
11. Do atleast 1 small amount International Transaction every month on your Credit card.
12. Open a Trading & Demat account linked to your Savings account. I know you dont need it. But still open it. Add a silly 500 Rs. SIP in a silly Liquid Fund. You can close this account after your goal is achieved.
13. Invest in Mutual Funds (again a silly Rs. 500 SIP in a silly fund) through InvestTrack ie. the mutual Fund TAB on your HDFC NETBANKING page.
I hope, these 13 steps are more than enough for your Goal ie. "50% to 100% CLE over next 6 months to 1 year".
I had succesfully recieved 100% CLE on my Diners Black CC 3 years ago by following these above steps. Immediately, I had sent the Credit Card Upgrde form (Upgrade to Infinia request without CLE requirement) to Chennai address and the card was upgraded to Infinia. I now have Infinia metal.

There are a lot of permutations combinations for CLE in HDFC, but at the end, the the centre of gravity is "Give Business To HDFC".
I am pretty much sure of one thing "High spends on Hdfc CC do not garuntee CLE". Stop sending ITR's to Chennai address (This method gives hardly 15-20% CLE - practically tried by myself). Our goal is "Atleast 50% CLE". Stop chasing RMs', they are useless (They will force you into Investment Plans etc...).
3. Convert atleast 1 large transaction of your Credit Card into Emi with interest for atleast 6 months term, even if you are capable of paying in full.
4. Take atleast 1 No cost EMI on your Credit Card for atleast 6 months, even if you are capable of paying in full.
5. Open a FD of atleast Rs. 25000 /- or higher for atleast 6 months term. Open another Rs. 10000 FD with a sweep in facility. Take an Overdraft on your FDs.
6. Open a RD of atleast Rs. 1000 /- or higher per month for atleast 6 mnths term.
7. Add a Family member to your Savings account. Add a Kids account (if having kids).
8. Do not share any Financial document, ITR, Salary slip, other Credit Card Limits, anything with HDFC or RM or via Email or to Chennai address - Never. This hinders Auto-Limit enhancement on your Credit card.
9. Let the Auto-Limit Enhancement kick-in on your card by waiting for atleast 6 months to 1 year doing all these steps from 1 to 8.
10. Lastly, keep upgrading your Credit Card whenever offered even if CLE is not offered (Your upgraded card may not be according to your taste, but still upgrade it. Its temporary.) Upgraded cards have higher chances of Limit Enhancements.
11. Do atleast 1 small amount International Transaction every month on your Credit card.
12. Open a Trading & Demat account linked to your Savings account. I know you dont need it. But still open it. Add a silly 500 Rs. SIP in a silly Liquid Fund. You can close this account after your goal is achieved.
13. Invest in Mutual Funds (again a silly Rs. 500 SIP in a silly fund) through InvestTrack ie. the mutual Fund TAB on your HDFC NETBANKING page.
I hope, these 13 steps are more than enough for your Goal ie. "50% to 100% CLE over next 6 months to 1 year".
I had succesfully recieved 100% CLE on my Diners Black CC 3 years ago by following these above steps. Immediately, I had sent the Credit Card Upgrde form (Upgrade to Infinia request without CLE requirement) to Chennai address and the card was upgraded to Infinia. I now have Infinia metal.
5,6,7,8 and 13 is already running. Will start 1 from tomorrow.
What is the meaning of 2 (debit card auto pay) ?

Around 1 year ago I have a cc upgrade offer from millennia to DCP but I convert my millennia into Visa varient and now no cc upgrade offer.

Handover Doctorate to him. Not sure whether this works or not but while reading I felt like reading some thesis. But HDFC has strong track record of breaking things. Anyways good analysis.

Yaah unsecured loans are around 2 to 3 times and home/auto loan which are secured loan so which make profile batter. But if you have home/auto loan then cc limit will be around 2 times of your income.

This information is received from hdfc credit card area sales head. (Area means more than half Rajasthan)
v interesting.. will be gd to understand leverage calcs

Right diagnosis for hdfc hysteria

I agree with your points maybe but I'm not doing that & not recommended to anyone 🤣🤣.

What is the problem in just giving salary slips or ITR & get LE, instead of doing so much of jhol-jhaal??
Salaried people can easily get 3-4 times of monthly salary as LE, which should anyway be more than sufficient for a month's expenses.

[I anyway discourage people from living life on credit. I strongly follow & suggest people to live within their means.]

What is the problem in just giving salary slips or ITR & get LE, instead of doing so much of jhol-jhaal??
Salaried people can easily get 3-4 times of monthly salary as LE, which should anyway be more than sufficient for a month's expenses.

[I anyway discourage people from living life on credit. I strongly follow & suggest people to live within their means.]
I never got more than 15% CLE by going this way. 15% CLE per year is too slow for me.

I never got more than 15% CLE by going this way. 15% CLE per year is too slow for me.
If you are already having 3-4 times your monthly income as limit, then further increase will be slow/difficult.
Plus, banks look at your overall exposure, if you have credit card accounts from multiple banks, even then limit increase will be slow.

Can you plz help me explain, what legit personal expenses you do, so that 4 times of monthly income is not sufficient for you.
(Assuming you payback in full each month)

One thing to try would be to spend high (as a percentage of the current limit). I had spent >50% of my limit a couple of times, and paid back all in time. This did get me a huge LE in the next 1 year. This was several years back, so not sure it works the same way today, but worth a try instead of splitting spends across several cards.

LE seems to be non-existent for me today, but that could be because it is already pretty high and I can hardly spend even 20% of the current limit.

If you are already having 3-4 times your monthly income as limit, then further increase will be slow/difficult.
Plus, banks look at your overall exposure, if you have credit card accounts from multiple banks, even then limit increase will be slow.

Can you plz help me explain, what legit personal expenses you do, so that 4 times of monthly income is not sufficient for you.
No Credit Limit is ever sufficient especially if someone is looking for an upgrade.

I'll give you a couple of reasons why having a credit limit which is about 4 times my monthly income is insufficient:
  • Limit sharing - I have 3 credit cards from HDFC, and I have a different use case for all 3 of them which cover nearly 60% of all my monthly expenses.
  • Large transactions - While this might only happen 5-6 times a year, I do have some big, once-a-year or once-a-quarter transactions (like insurance premiums, maintenance charges, fees, bills that generate quarterly/half yearly/annually ... and they can sometimes fall in the same month) which easily eat up more than 30% of my current credit limit per transaction!

Won't HDFC need to pull fresh cibil report to get this data? Auto LE might not depend on this.

Back